It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mormon Church Excludes Children of Same-Sex Couples From Blessings and Baptisms

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Wasn't sure if this should go here or in Social Issues... But since it is an official policy change by a sect of Christianity, I put it here.

Mormon Church Excludes Children of Same-Sex Couples From Blessings and Baptisms

Children living in a same-sex household may not be blessed as babies or baptized until they are 18, the Mormon Church declared in a new policy. Once they reach 18, children may disavow the practice of same-sex cohabitation or marriage and stop living within the household and request to join the church.

The policy changes, which also states that those in a same-sex marriage are to be considered apostates, set off confusion and turmoil among many Mormons after the policy was leaked. The changes in the handbook for local church leaders for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were confirmed Thursday by church spokesman Eric Hawkins.
Mormon children are normally blessed as infants and baptized around age 8, an act that Mormons believe is a covenant with God and essential to salvation.

I think this is just sad. The act of exclusion and insistence that the kids move away from their parents before they have the honor of being blessed or baptized doesn't sound like something Jesus would condone.

"It feels like they are extending an olive branch and hitting you with it," said Wendy Montgomery, who is Mormon and has a 17-year-old gay son. "It's like this emotional whiplash."

Montgomery said Friday the news left her son sobbing and forced her and her husband to consider leaving a religion they've belonged to for generations. The couple has been trying desperately to stay in the church despite a harsh reception to their son coming out.

"We just put a scarlet letter on these kids," Montgomery said. "This isn't my church. I don't see God in it. I don't see divinity it. It just feels evil."

Mormons Issue New Rules, Aimed at Gay Members and their Kids

And people wonder why people are leaving religion?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Really? They think that these kids who grow up being rejected by the church their whole lives will all of a sudden join when they're 18? How dumb can you be? Telling people they're not welcome isn't really the best way to win converts.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I did not go to the link but, just read your thread.

It sounds like trying to "break up" families or cause more discord than there already is...in trying to raise a family in as harmonious as possible existence.
Sorry if that is fragmented...

Just my initial thoughts.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Not trying to defend these lunatics, but if you are a gay couple and you want to send your child to Mormon Church
the consequences is your fault, you should know better.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I can't get over some folks really....

Matthew 19:14

But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me and do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”

Matthew 18:5-9

“Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. “Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes! And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire.

Whatever they believe, punishing the children or denying them anything from the church in the name of God is the farthest thing from Christianity that I can think of.

edit on 11/6/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I don't know much about Mormons. There really isn't a good way to save the kids from these situations, but I don't see how ignoring them is going to help. Hopefully, they will change their position and welcome the kids if not the parents. Hate the sin and not the sinner.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Same-sex marriage is a mockery of core LDS theology (eternal marriage/families). I'd be disappointed in them if they took any other position.

Churches need to start standing up for their beliefs and stop capitulating to the whims of pop culture (and the other "PC").

Good for the Mormons.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
To indoctrinate or not to indoctrinate... that is the question. I just wish you guys would make up your minds as to what it is you want.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I just think it's heartless. And I don't honestly don't think Jesus would go along with it, either. They are "punishing" the children for the so-called "sins" of the parents.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
They are basically excommunicating the family until such time as the kids can remove themselves from the situation.

Mormons do not exactly even believe in "'til death do us part" if I remember what the tour guide was talking about when we toured the Mormon compound in Salt Lake. For them, you marry and it's forever in God's eyes, even beyond death.

So, they decided to remove the situation entirely from their congregations. It wouldn't be the first time a religion has chosen to enforce restrictions, and it's their right to do so.

Perhaps gays ought to consider a different religious denomination? United Church of Christ, Unitarian Universalists, Episcopal, Lutheran, etc.

edit on 6-11-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The whole religion is full of crap, and most religions are full of crap, but the fact is "they" get to worship the way they want and what any other non-Mormon thinks about it is irrelevant. It's an issue internal to the church. You're not required to participate.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of this and many other religions. Are they just supposed to tell their god that hes mistaken and theyll accept gays in spite of his instructions because man-made political correctness demands it?

Furthermore, who would WANT to be a part of a church that excludes their parents? I dont see why this is an issue aside from the new Everybody Love Everybody rule that is so popular these days, which itself is ridiculous.

Some people dont like other people and theres absolutely nothing wrong with that.
edit on 6-11-2015 by Urantia1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   

This should not be an issue.

I know I would not want them or anyone else coming into MY life, telling me how to live.
From that point, I then question how WE should seek to do the same to them.
It's the definition of hypocrisy.

We don't have to agree. That's part of the human condition... we're all different in one way or the other.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
This makes a big difference to people who are a part of the Mormon Church because the Mormon Church likes to isolate its congregation from other social groups. This means that someone who is gay, especially if they are growing up in a Mormon family, faces being exiled from their entire support group. It is not a positive thing.

That being said, the Mormon Church is a completely fabricated religion that even fabricates entire civilizations with no archaeological evidence. I see no reason to belong to it, although it would definitely be hard to get out of if you were born into it.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

They face exile if they carry on with a partner or form a union. If they stay single and celibate, then it seems they don't have that issue. If they marry an opposite sex partner, they're fine, too, and so are the kids.

So, it's not the person, but the sin that's being targeted. I know people do not differentiate the two these days, but that's what it is.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Why do these people want to be part of the Christian faith? Christianity says homosexuality is a sin. They haven't changed that stance in 2000 years. It's not likely they're going to since it's stated as such in the book they follow. It clearly says it is an abomination to god. So if you're LGBT, you cannot be a "real" Christian. Find another faith! Quit trying to change Christianity, and rewrite the bible. If you change Christianity to suit you, it is no longer Christianity, and the Christian god is not going to "forgive" you for the "sin" you are still practicing.
edit on 11/6/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
It's the best thing for the parent(excommunication) and the children(never being indoctrinated). .......it is a BIG win- win.
edit on 6-11-2015 by Rex282 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
That is their right. Freedom of religion and all. Their field, their rules.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

They shouldn't be forced to do something against their nature like marrying a woman whom they are not attracted to. What kind of marriage is that? It is one based on lies and a shoddy foundation.

posted on Nov, 13 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: darkbake

They face exile if they carry on with a partner or form a union.
So, it's not the person, but the sin that's being targeted.

So, Mormons consider marriage to be a sin?
------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, people are leaving the Mormon Church in droves after this policy was announced. Good. They should. I can't imagine wanting to be a member of such an exclusionary group. I can't help but be happy that they keep such accurate records of their membership, because now, they can see that number shrinking.

Nearly 1,000 people have confirmed that they will partake in a protest this Saturday (November 14) in Salt Lake City where members wishing to resign from the church will publicly turn in their resignations to church officials.

Utah attorney Mark Naugle will be there to help those wishing to resign. He says he has already helped 1,400 people quit the church, as KIVI-TV reports:

“There will be fourteen hundred people who won’t be on the record, coming in the next 5 to 15 days, just from my end,” Naugle explained during a phone interview. “I’m also attending a mass resignation event on Saturday, they’re starting at City Creek Park, and I’ll be going there with blank forms for everyone to fill out, and I think according to Facebook, there are over 1000 people that plan to attend.”

Sadly, LGBT activists have seen a dramatic increase in calls to suicide prevention hotlines in the wake of the Mormon Church’s announcement of its new anti-gay policy.

Thousands Leave Mormon Church After New Policy Labels Gay Members ‘Apostates’

Mormons to Resign in Utah Protest at Church's Gay Marriage Stance

top topics

<<   2 >>

join