It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lincoln: Constituitional Traitor and example of the winners rewriting history to suit their needs.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: yuppa

Back then the country wasn't even a hundred years old yet, do you honestly think that Lincoln letting this brand new country fall apart within a century of it forming would have looked good on the international stage? Like I said, you are viewing the choices through a lens of hindsight without considering the conditions of the day or the gravity of his choices. It's always easy to second guess a decision after the fact. I mean have YOU ever made a decision you regretted later or a decision that you were dissatisfied with but felt it was the best decision to make at the time?

I don't think you would have what it takes to be the leader of a country if you think you can sit behind your computer screen and second guess the man who prevented our country from falling apart when it was still a new country.

Now now no need for personal attacks on my leadership capability. You also have second guessed leaders before as well.
REgrets? Some but most of the time dont regret anything.

Lincoln could had prevented war by COMPROMISING(you know what the republicansand democrats cant seem to do lately) he didnt want to compromise. the south even said they would not leave if they were treated fairly in regard to taxes and trade. No mr dishonest abe wanted all the monies and taxes for his political machine.

When half the country takes their ball and goes home upon your VERY election, I'm pretty sure that compromise may be out of the question.

ALso. didnt th esouth say they would basically abide by the constitution back then even if they seceeded? I seem to recall that SO if another country had gotten a idea to try invading they would had helped repel them.

You are going to have to prove that statement, because I DO know that the South drafted a new Constitution for themselves.

Did you read my previous response though and think about what i wrote? I di d mention two ways lincoln could had held things together peacefully. Too bad the banks owned him.

You are also neglecting the fact that the South had been holding the North hostage over the Slavery issue since the Constitution was ratified. Heck the South didn't initially want to even be IN the Union if there wasn't concessions made for having slavery. The north spent the better part of 70 years negotiating and giving things to the South trying to keep them from succeeding, but in the end none of that matter and they succeeded based on fear rhetoric alone. So Lincoln gave them what they wanted, a war.

new topics

<< 1  2   >>

join