It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Houston's Equal Rights Ordinance Discussion/Results

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Do people not realize this covers everyone from being discriminated against?

Except for women/men who dont want men/women in their bathrooms/locker rooms/showers

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: BubbaJoe
I am trying to remember the last time I was in a public restroom where someone, anyone, male, female, straight, gay, trans were openly displaying their genitals. I have been in a few bars and seen it, but the folks so dead set against this probably don't frequent these types of bars.

ETA: With public showers in HS and MS locker rooms, this question would become a bit more of an issue, at least in my mind. Not the rape factor, but the understanding factor.

Hmmm ... perhaps forcing kids of either gender to communally shower and expose themselves to each other isn't the best idea?

*gasp* what if some of them are gay??? You know, they don't always dress special or act differently ... how can we keep the "normal" kids safe????

/s (mostly)

LOL, I understand the /s, you might be right, the public showers of a locker room in HS or MS, always provided a bit of anxiety, I am sure for all.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

Except for women/men who dont want men/women in their bathrooms/locker rooms/showers

Didn't you hear what another poster said above?

Life's not fair, if you don't like it, don't use public restrooms.

Now, doesn't that make you feel like an equitable member of society?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: Gryphon66

They are strictly going by how much the person's body looks like the gender in question. If there is an adam's apple on the transgender female - they say "it's a male and he's going to rape us!"

I know there have been transgender folks who look nothing like the gender they were born with, who have walked into the restroom of their self-identified gender - and no one even noticed. Even if that person didn't have the genital surgery.

Ignorance is bliss - I suppose.

So, as long as a person can put on a convincing costume, they should be able to enter the opposite sex's bathroom or locker room?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Interesting, most women's restrooms have private stalls, so they will know no difference. However if I am standing at a urinal, and someone pops a squat next to me at another urinal, honestly, am probably going to look. That being said, a guy in a dress walking up next to me at a urinal, will probably garner more attention, because of the fear I would have for them being in that position. I am comfortable being nude with both male and female, gay and straight, cannot comment on transgendered folks, have not spent a lot of time with them, but am pretty sure I would be comfortable.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

I know you addressed your just previous comment to another poster, so I'll not distract from their answer ... but I do have a question.

Do you sincerely believe that people with differing gender identities are merely "putting on a convincing costume"?

I just wonder if you want to go on the record as saying that millions of trans* Americans are frauds trying to molest other Americans.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I know you addressed your just previous comment to another poster, so I'll not distract from their answer ... but I do have a question.

Do you sincerely believe that people with differing gender identities are merely "putting on a convincing costume"?

I just wonder if you want to go on the record as saying that millions of trans* Americans are frauds trying to molest other Americans.

Are there 'millions of trans' Americans? Are there really that many people that don't know what sex they are?
edit on 2015/11/4 by Metallicus because: >?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Are there 'millions of trans' Americans? Are there really that many people that don't know what sex they are?

They know what sex they were assigned at birth, gender and sexuality differ greatly.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I can't speak to "people who don't know what sex they are."

Folks with differing gender identifications do know that they are not the gender they were assigned at birth.

Studies have indicated a number between 0.3 and 1% of the population are either trans* or differently gendered (non-binary, fluid, etc.). For the US that means between about 966,000 and 3.22 million Americans have different gender identities.

If you're actually interested in that evidence, I'll get it for you, but somehow I have my doubts.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

They are strictly going by how much the person's body looks like the gender in question. If there is an adam's apple on the transgender female - they say "it's a male and he's going to rape us!"

I know there have been transgender folks who look nothing like the gender they were born with, who have walked into the restroom of their self-identified gender - and no one even noticed. Even if that person didn't have the genital surgery.

Ignorance is bliss - I suppose.

So, as long as a person can put on a convincing costume, they should be able to enter the opposite sex's bathroom or locker room?

There are cities - and states - that have passed bills similar to this. Can you provide a list of how many cisgender men (regular 'ole heterosexual men) in those cities and states have put on a dress so they could go into the women's restroom to molest women? And how many of those men got away with it because of this type of legislation?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Not to mention that many trans* women are probably straight and prefer men.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
It's been days since I've gone to a restroom solely with the intent to stare at men's genitalia.

(um, sarcasm)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
It's been days since I've gone to a restroom solely with the intent to stare at men's genitalia.

(um, sarcasm)

Not to mention it has been my whole life since I have gone to a public restroom to worry about someone else's genitalia.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The saddest part, is that this bill was for protecting against Discrimination and people are using it yet again as a way to attack GLTBQ+ people, especially Trans people and bringing about arguments that have no facts to back them and fear mongering

people talk about being "Awake" yet are completely blind to these important issues that are happening in "America" (and all over the world)

If a Trans Woman who is forced to use a Male Restroom gets attacked is that Ok? should she not get protection because she is just playing "Dress Up" is the attack Justified?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

The saddest part, is that this bill was for protecting against Discrimination and people are using it yet again as a way to attack GLTBQ+ people, especially Trans people and bringing about arguments that have no facts to back them and fear mongering

people talk about being "Awake" yet are completely blind to these important issues that are happening in "America" (and all over the world)

If a Trans Woman who is forced to use a Male Restroom gets attacked is that Ok? should she not get protection because she is just playing "Dress Up" is the attack Justified?

Darth, and I hate to say this, but look how long it has taken America to wake up to "teh Gays", it ain't gonna happen overnight, all the LGBTQ community can do, is gain equality one individual at a time. I met a guy in FL in 2001, gear head like me, we started hanging out, one night he tells me he is gay.

At that point he is my friend, how do I respond, except for being his friend. He was the best man in my hetero wedding, we traveled together, slept in the same bed together, have been to topless clubs, and gay bars together.

He was a gay black man, and he was my friend. That is the only way these issues can be solved.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:47 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

I know, i'm only 23 so i've only been in this fight for a short while.. but GLBTQ+ people have been fighting for centuries, and for every small step forward it's us getting pushed back by some kind of force.

and that is how it will always be, until some kind of compassion and love is involved.. but people can change if they allow it,

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: sycomix

(Mods no offence to anyone in particular, I would have the same issue with a girl in my sons restroom, X chromosome goes here Y goes there)

So you'd beat the snot out of the girl too?

If they want equal treatment...

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

... and things like that are why I still come to ATS.

Thank you for being a human being, BubbaJoe.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

Things like this play well in the media and politicians get a few sound bytes from it but no one cares what happens to the actual people.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

originally posted by: sycomix

(Mods no offence to anyone in particular, I would have the same issue with a girl in my sons restroom, X chromosome goes here Y goes there)

So you'd beat the snot out of the girl too?

If they want equal treatment...

Please, in public that you would beat the snot out of a girl, please, please, please.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join