It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supersonic 'Skreemr' Jet Could Fly Faster than Mach 10

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Supersonic 'Skreemr' Jet Could Fly Faster than Mach 10

This is an interesting idea.

Though I'm not sure how I'd feel about being catapulted to mach 4. And then have rockets ignite to help the plane go faster.

I don't think it would be a nice ride.

And where will they launch this thing. Will it generate a sonic boom off of the catapult? It's got to? No one will want to live near this thing.

Maybe someone else can chime in a speculate.

I don't see this going anywhere.

The Skreemr supersonic jet concept could be the passenger airliner of the future, making the Atlantic seem more like a lake than an ocean. If this wild creation ever gets off the drawing board, that is.

Designer Charles Bombardier and concept rendering creator Ray Mattison envision a jet that is launched from a magnetic railgun at speeds close to Mach 4. The Skreemr would then ignite liquid oxygen or kerosene rockets to increase its altitude and speed until it was traveling fast enough to fire up a scramjet engine. The scramjet engine then would use the incredible speed of the craft to compress incoming air for engine combustion, burning hydrogen and compressed oxygen to accelerate to an unbelievable Mach 10, or 7,673 miles per hour. (Scramjet technology is currently being tested by United States' and Chinese military organizations.)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
They want to put me in a jet called sreamer???? um no thank you, how about it we call it happy kittens dancing in the sun then i will book my ticket but until then im out.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: crimsongod21

She's a Skreemr takes on a whole new meaning.

lol..

I'm curious what everyone has to say about this one.
edit on 2-11-2015 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
well if they are anything like me, it will all be jokes and bad puns, not to discredit the op or the people behind this idea but damn that name is just toooo funny for something so scary.

to be fair though if i was given the option of a free ride on it i would say cool when do we take off.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Mach 10! Wont it melt?

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

lol.

I think they didn't think this one through.

Or maybe they did. Who knows.

I can only imagine them having to wait for the skin to cool down enough for passengers to get off.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Yup, its abundantly clear that the answer to the hypersonic transport question isn't atmospheric or air-breathing craft, but vehicles that go exo-atmospheric/suborbital as quickly as possible.

A Hotol-type craft with a 50-seat passenger compartment could do well in that regard...

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Possibly it will incorporate some form of newfangled meta material in to her skin that does not conduct heat or at least at a greatly reduced rate.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:27 PM
link   
With that array of fins around the mouth of the engine, I guess it could be called the "Teeth Breather."

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I don't think I would enjoy accelerating off a rail gun at Mach 4.

And I seriously doubt something that could move at Mach 10 would look anything like the illustration. It wouldn't look nearly so conventional, and it would likely employ some kind of active shape-changing skin that would modify itself to conform and adapt to atmospheric/plasma waves at various speeds.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

Possibly it will incorporate some form of newfangled meta material in to her skin that does not conduct heat or at least at a greatly reduced rate.

They already have aerogel. This craft does look a bit like the Blackbird with those bevelled bits at the sides. Imagine something like that scaled up in size, with delta wings and good number of fighter jet type engines on the underside and ends of those wings.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
My question is, what's that Mach 4 launch and Mach 10 speed going to do to the passengers? Fighter pilots are trained to handle those speeds, civilians not so much. I don't see this concept going far as a commercial passenger airline. Cool concept tho.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: PlasticWizard

lrn2physics
your thinking velocity not speed
how quickly it is getting to those speeds is far more important than the speeds themselves (as far as a persons ability to function properly)
edit on 2-11-2015 by fartlordsupreme because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Well I'm still waiting for the day when they PAY
the actual inventor of the scramjet ...... roger ramjet .
He'll be screaming (for joy) then

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:43 PM
link   
a reply to: radarloveguy

well you gotta admit
it sure aint no iphone
hell it aint even no farmville

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Well is escape velocity is 25,020 mph, and mach 10 is about 7,614 mph (at sea level) ... then this thing won't be able to do SSTO

So let me get this straight, getting into orbit takes something on the order of mach 31-32?

This source says astronauts experience about 3 G's during a launch. So, I'm assuming the acceleration must be slow to allow for low G's but fast speeds?

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
a reply to: crimsongod21

She's a Skreemr takes on a whole new meaning.

lol..

I'm curious what everyone has to say about this one.

I think 'screamer' might describe the passengers' reactions to a mach 4 catapult launch. Especially if the scramjet doesn't light...

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Designer Charles Bombardier and concept rendering creator Ray Mattison envision ...

Gotta love those vehicle concepts by designers and cg artists with no understanding of the physics involved. ROFL

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: moebius
Id love to see the Windtunnel model of that!

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

HI MysticMushroom, you'd be amazed at how a small amount of constant force can accelerate an object to incredible velocities over time. SO, using the good old suvat calculations

If we use your example of 3g (assuming this is 3g in addition to the existing 1g experienced at sea level)

3g = ~30m/s/s

v = at + v0

v - Velocity
a - Acceleration
t - Time
v0 - Initial Velocity

So - Accelerating for just 10 minutes at 3g will result in you travelling at 18,000 m/s which is 40,264 MPH which is Mach 52 at sea level and would have travelled 5,400KM!

Cheers
Robbie

edit on 3-11-2015 by stratsys-sws because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join