It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Multi-Partner Marriages Gonna Be a Thing?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
i came across a couple of articles this week that blew my freakin mind. the first one is by a chinese economist who is advocating polyandry as a solution to the bachelor crises brought on by china's one-child policy combined with the widespread practice of sex-selective abortion and female infanticide.

By 2020, China will have an estimated 30 million bachelors — called guanggun, or “bare branches...” “With so many guanggun, women are in short supply and their value increases,” he wrote. “But that doesn’t mean the market can’t be adjusted. The guanggun problem is actually a problem of income. High-income men can find a woman because they can pay a higher price. What about low-income men? One solution is to have several take a wife together.”

He added: “That’s not just my weird idea. In some remote, poor places, brothers already marry the same woman, and they have a full and happy life.”

Polyandry has been practiced before in China, particularly in impoverished areas, as a way to pool resources and avoid the breakup of property.

sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com...

there was another article on this that featured the results of a survey of 7,700 chinese citizens. a surprising 44% were in favor of xie's proposal. xie also advocates legalizing same-sex marriage. what is striking to me, is that his position has nothing to do with civil rights or morality. it's a utilitarian solution to a numbers problem.

meanwhile, in brazil, three women were recently wed in a civil union arrangement.

They also have a better chance now of making good on their plan to create a three-parent family, Leitao said.

"Our union is the fruit of love," the unnamed businesswoman in the trio told the daily O Globo.

"We are preparing for my pregnancy.... The legalization is a way for the baby and for us to not end up abandoned and penniless. We want to enjoy the same maternal rights that everyone else has."

news.yahoo.com...

it can't be denied that even in the wealthiest nations, raising a child on a single income is impossible for the vast majority, and two-income families are barely scratching by. as people continue to work harder, longer, and for less money, child-rearing becomes less and less of a viable prospect for many couples. here in canada, there is a very vocal polyamorous community, and there have been several legal battles over the issue of civil unions and parental rights for polyamorous couples. many argue that raising a child in a three-or more income family benefits everyone involved.

i guess i don't really have a horse in this race, i'm a happily married, childless dude. my wife and i both work an obscene number of hours, and she's chosen to prioritize her career. i'm ok with that, i'd rather have dogs than kids. but i can't imagine sharing her for any reason, practical or otherwise.

it's hard to say what kind of impact a multiple-parent family would have on a kid, or society at large, as there's little to no data, but a lot of people are concerned over the disintegration of the family unit.

what do you guys think?

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I say why not?

Long as its between contenting adults I see it no buisness of the goverment how many spouses you have.

If I want five wifes then bloody let me.
edit on 2-11-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Humans have existed a lot longer without monogamy than with it. The income rate for these kinds of households would be higher aswell slowing for a better quality of life. More presents at Christmas also!

Not for me personally but could work for them sharing a wife is better than not ever having a shot at one.

5 wives?!!?!!? Yikes man more power to you I am content getting my head ripped off by just one.

a reply to: ATODASO

edit on 2-11-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-11-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
It's just a matter of time. Thank the gays for opening the door. There is no logical reason to prevent it.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
chuckle- I have no position on the issue, except that I think it would be rather nice to have two husbands!
an intimate and honest relationship with two very different personalities, that would be awesome!
I saw a report once on a couple in the UK , in which a married woman felt attracted to another man, and told her husband about it honestly. They ended up coming to an arrangement, (provoked by a pregnancy) in which they all three lived together.

It still kinda seemed like the first husband was a bit resentful, despite their claims of being so innovative and adapted, which made me think, if my husband had any feelings like that, I would not be able to sustain such a lifestyle.

I'm betting he'd not mind another wife though. The theory sounds fine, but those pesky emotions, I fear, would sneak in anyways.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Talking to my wife and from a completely logical point of view it makes total sense to both of us. More people = more child care, More income, Better life, More social interactions and opportunities for a better education. I honestly can't see the downside. And also, I can imagine the "marital relations" would be... interesting.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Human beings are not strictly pair bond species, with regards to human evolution were a mix between both pair bonding and tournament species. So in other words polygamy and polyandry should be acceptable regardless of what governments have to say about it.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
It's just a matter of time. Thank the gays for opening the door. There is no logical reason to prevent it.

I am not sure if you are in favour or distain as to the Op with your statement?

As you say it makes logical sense, certainly from a financial and labour division point of view.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If it is consenting adults, I don't have a problem with it. I think you'll see more guys with multiple wives though. Men have always had multiple wives and it was often seen as a sign of wealth. Several celebrities have multiple baby mamas / harems and kept women... Lil Wayne, Sean Combs, Floyd Mayweather, etc.

There is no reason for it to be against the law in terms of legal marriage given gay marriage. It is only a matter of time before all legal barriers are removed. I think one of the families on those polygamy shows recently won a lawsuit.

As a guy, I could see having multiple wives, but no way in hell I'm sharing with other guys. However, if the wives want to play among themselves...

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Inasmuchas marriage should be a purely civil matter, with laws regarding property, financial support for children, et. al. (in case of breakup) this falls into the "live and let live" category for me. I can't personally imagine it, but, hey, it's a brave new world out there ...

I've long thought that instead of a legal fiction of "marriage" that something along the lines of a "domestic corporation" made more sense. What I don't like about it is that we'll probably require a shton more laws to make it work properly.

But again, if it works for you ... "the more the merrier."

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
I say why not?

Long as its between contenting adults I see it no buisness of the goverment how many spouses you have.

Generally in those situations where you have one wife for more than one man she is pretty well exhausted. I wouldn't do it for anything. Taking care of two men and all of their "needs"--sex, child bearing and rearing, cooking, cleaning and general slavery serving two. No way. Not for me. If folks can make it work then more power to them though.

I might be willing to go the other way though... Many hands make light work.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   

What puzzles me is how China didn't see this problem coming... Anyway, I have no problem with people getting into relationships that work for them. Why not, indeed?

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Thing that interests me slightly about China though ... they're getting more Christian by the year.

It'll be quite the stew to see how the situation evolves.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Not only that, but now we've developed the genetic technology to have multiple parents.
edit on 2-11-2015 by somnum because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: schuyler

I am not sure if you are in favour or distain as to the Op with your statement?

As you say it makes logical sense, certainly from a financial and labour division point of view.

Does it matter?

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Will multi-partner marriages going to be a thing?

Not in my bloody house they won't be! For a marriage to mean anything at all, other than a tax break or way to divvy up assets, it should be between two people only.

Don't care if that's a 'conventional' or 'unconventional' two, it's the oaths and vows between two that are sacred.

More than two...it's not a marriage more than it is a state sanctioned gang bang or something.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   
What does gay marriage have to do with this? Gay marriage is still just between TWO consenting adults. And still has the same relationship dynamics as a monogamous male/female marriage/partnership. More blame and baiting being thrown around for no good reason.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

Generally in those situations where you have one wife for more than one man she is pretty well exhausted. I wouldn't do it for anything. Taking care of two men and all of their "needs"--sex, child bearing and rearing, cooking, cleaning and general slavery serving two. No way. Not for me. If folks can make it work then more power to them though.

I might be willing to go the other way though... Many hands make light work.

in an ideal situation, domestic labor and child care duties would be equitably divided, but lol. doesn't seem to work out that way. i went into marriage with standards of cleanliness that i thought were perfectly adequate, but my wife, uh, did not agree. like i said, we both work a lot, and we fought over it often in the beginning of the marriage. my point of view is, "hey, i'm fine with the house the way it is. if you want it cleaner, that's on you. i'm not forcing you to clean, so don't try to force me."

in the end, we decided it was less hassle just to pay someone to come in once a week, and we contribute equally to the cost.

i think those kinds of conflicts would be more difficult to negotiate if they involved more than one person, but hey! also, i can't imagine any woman signing on for taking care of two grownass men. it only makes sense if it lightens the burden for all parties.

edit on 2-11-2015 by ATODASO because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Honestly IDK why it isn't already allowed.

I'm a firm believer that out of the billions of people on this planet, there is no way that there is only one right person for everyone....

I have room in my heart to love many :/

-Alee

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Thats a tough call, since you would clearly be insane to want such a thing.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join