It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mirror that is technological advancement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

I am often struck by the idea that the technology we develop constantly mirrors our own existing structure as humans- whether it mimicks biological, behavioral or mental patterns. We create and produce exteriorized objects that mirror self, and become exteriorizations of self awareness as a collective.

Invention of weapons happened as we recognized our drives for conflict and domination that were existing- where we once would pound another over the head with our fist, we can then pound a bomb on a nation.

Appliances and machines of all sorts- where we would seed and harvest the earth with hands, we now can have machines that do that for us, machines that mimic our past actions of washing dishes and clothes, our pounding metal into a form, etc.

These all run on similar forms of energy utilization and waste discharge as our bodies.
This is not, in itself, a surprising view- obviously, the whole intent is to not have to do it anymore ourselves. The concept of a holographic universe is not new to most of us.

I just sometimes find myself focusing on the implications for where technology is going next- if the evolution up to now illustrates human expression of their growing self awareness, then can we look the other direction and make some guesses about the highest potentials for future technological advancement?

The computer, and then the internet, seems to mimic what happened when psychology, psychoanalysis, and neuroscience emerged and became part of the collective conscious- we became more and more aware of "how the brain works", and so created a model of that.
As the relationship of minds between each other was more developed and understood, we made an exteriorized web of connections between these computer/brains.

It spread, it widened... at the same time, people who were, until then, not exposed to concepts which indicate "we are all one", or "everything is connected" suddenly began to have "awakenings" and such New Age thinking became more commonplace (which wasn't new at all, it just became more consciously recognized by the rest collective).

At this point, our recent explorations will often use metaphors of computers- as we've become aware enough for those metaphors to work in communication.

Currently, we have icons on our screen, which make it easier for us to manipulate the exchanges we have with the exterior world. We don't need to understand the details about how a modem works to click on a symbol which represents it and manipulate it.

So this, for me, reflects our current awareness of perception in general- that what we perceive may not be accurately representative of objective reality in all it's complexity- but that doesn't matter so much- we see things in a way that is utile, and that facilitates effective exchange with the exterior world. That's all we need to do.

My "looking forward" brings forth the idea that perceiving and manipulating the exterior world is not going to stop there. That we are becoming more and aware that our relationship to the exterior world is already an ongoing influence (even before we decide to manipulate anything in it).

That our very choice to manipulate it one way or another is already being determined by this interplay and relationship, even before we are aware of it.

Knowing relation between two things entails knowledge of both things. The relationship between "I" and all that is "not I" is paramount. "What is out there" is important to perceive, but so is "what is in here".

So exploring recently the idea that some of what we would call "malfunctions" of our icon system (hallucinations, warped perception, experiences which are uncommon to the majority of humanity) which give us "false" information about the exterior reality, might actually be icons which communicate to us interior states and movements.

Seeing things like ghosts, or aliens, could be perceiving icons come up which tell us about certain emotional or physiological changes or states. Perceiving the unknowns in others (their intent, their feelings, their thoughts.. especially over the web with text, where body language, emotional contagion and empathy are obstructed), may be those icons or markers coming up to give us alerts to what is going on inside the self.

Our cars have a similar system, for important mechanical states- if the car is at risk of running out of gas, a disfunction of the cooling system. We already are quite aware when we are really hungry, or too hot or cold. We have already exteriorized the more simplistic and pressing internal processes.

I suspect our computers will now become more capable of giving us information about "what is in here" in more varied ways. Like an icon will pop up if your heart rate or blood rate rises, your perspiration suddenly spikes, you have a sudden rise in certain hormones, etc.

We have become collectively more aware of how our bodies work inside, what chemicals are involved... we are more consciously aware when we're having a rush of cortisol or adrenaline, etc. I think the next step is to make our devices (our mini me's) do that for us as well.

I'm not up on current technology, and I am sure I am no genius who has jumped ahead of humanity- I'm willing to bet this is already starting. (and I'll get some sarcastic eye rolling in response). The only part that is probably of interest is the point of view I use to come to such guesses. The man made world as being simply man sculpting an exterior version of itself to play with.

Using that point of view, is there are other types of things you see coming in the future, for our technological or social evolution?

edit on 2-11-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

I suppose we have to work with the tools provided. Hence the reason the technology we develop somewhat mirrors or resembles our own existing structure.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
First of all, you could have easily presented a large bulk of your post in layman's terms, far too much 'big' words for me on a Monday afternoon. I skipped right to the end.

Regarding the premise of the thread, I do not see evolution, I see devolution. I see mankind destroying not only the planet, but each other in the never ending chase for superiority and wealth.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk
First of all, you could have easily presented a large bulk of your post in layman's terms, far too much 'big' words for me on a Monday afternoon. I skipped right to the end.

Regarding the premise of the thread, I do not see evolution, I see devolution. I see mankind destroying not only the planet, but each other in the never ending chase for superiority and wealth.

I apologize then. I was not aware I was using big words... I try to stick to the most common layman terms, but I guess what those are differs from person to person. Criticism noted.

ETA------- don't worry, I am not offended if you do not read this. I didn't use big words, but I was lengthy. Please allow me to express my thoughts on the interesting question you brought up, without feeling obligated to read as written "for" you!

I can see some of your point about devolution- I can't agree in totality, because I perceive it has had both beneficial and destructive effects.
Although, I tend to say often I suspect that we're having a sort of revolution at this time, (as we do periodically). I think it is a growing awareness of our actions and the way they influence the exterior. ( I know, DUH, ecology issues anyone?)

But this growing focus upon humanties impact upon the environment is perhaps a reflection of what is happening on a smaller scale- our growing awareness, as individuals, of our impact upon the events we experience in our immediate locality.
It is still relatively new that psychology began taking seriously that people reactions to each other are not just products of "what they are", but "how they are" in relation to each other. Like that expectations can influence and mold the behaviors of the other. A person expecting the other to act a certain way subconsciously gives off certain provocative signals which provoke the expected behavior from the other.
(a form of "you create your own reality" which is not exactly mystical or magical).

When people become more aware of their role and impact in the relationship and events they are part of, they gain more power to change the outcomes. Accepting responsibility is synonymous with accepting power.

So I have not given up hope- as we become more aware of how we impact our environment, and acknowledge that, perhaps we will also gain the power to direct our technology in a way which is less destructive?

I don't know. We might have to go through a re-boot as a species (an ice age?). But then we might rebuild society into forms more respectful of our environment. Maybe. (hopefully)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I didn't think you used "big words". They were words used in every day conversation when discussing a topic of this nature.

Good OP. There really isn't much I can add. Though it seems our most enduring and ongoing creation to mirror ourselves is deity. I have a meme that says: "I find it suspicious that everyone's personal god has the same beliefs they do."

Imagine that.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

I don't know. We might have to go through a re-boot as a species (an ice age?). But then we might rebuild society into forms more respectful of our environment. Maybe. (hopefully)

With the way our lives are currently governed, and the motivation behind everything we do, a re-boot is exactly what is required. Moving forward from the point we are at, we will never (as a collective) be able to form more respect for each other and our environment.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma

With the way our lives are currently governed, and the motivation behind everything we do, a re-boot is exactly what is required. Moving forward from the point we are at, we will never (as a collective) be able to form more respect for each other and our environment.

The problem with a "reboot", is those who inherit the task of rebuilding will gravitate toward what they have always known. Which is why we frequently see repeating cycles historically. We can only hope that some would have enough vision to learn from the past, and look to the future.
edit on 11/2/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Though it seems our most enduring and ongoing creation to mirror ourselves is deity. I have a meme that says: "I find it suspicious that everyone's personal god has the same beliefs they do."

Imagine that.

I know! I always found it curious how, if you ask someone to describe the "nature" of their God, they will usually describe an entity which acts as they do themselves.

Angry and jealous Gods rule angry and jealous people,
Inert and uninvolved Gods rule inert and uninvolved people,
Loving and forgiving Gods rule loving and forgiving people,
Gods with their hands tied waiting for others to demand their guidance rule people with the same outlook on other people,
etc.

The question there is- which came first? Were the personalities formed by the belief, or vice versa?

Did man create God in his image, or did man create himself in the image of the God his parents told him about??

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

what we perceive may not be accurately representative of objective reality

In my opinion, nothing is as we perceive it. Does anyone really believe their computer components are solid? They "seem" solid though.

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

I can only say I hope you are wrong!

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

I suppose we have to work with the tools provided. Hence the reason the technology we develop somewhat mirrors or resembles our own existing structure.

Yeah. It's like the problem we run into when trying to hypothesize about the possible forms extraterrestrials might be- stepping out of what we know already, to forms vastly different, is a very difficult exercise in imagination!
You know what you know, and what you don't, you don't.
(not exactly wise words, LOL, but yeah.)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I don't recognize your relationship with technology mirroring humanity/human nature so much as technology gives a telescopic-type of view of every aspect of humanity/human nature that we can possibly try to obtain.

top topics

join