It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Of Dogs and Men" - a new documentary about dog shooters

page: 1

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Here's a trailer for a great documentary coming out...

"Of Dogs and Men" - a documentary about the epidemic of police dog shootings. Maybe if enough people get the message, we'll get some hard pushback going politically, maybe make it a bit less enticing to do. Maybe even get some animal cruelty convictions for some of the more egregious dog shooters.

The official site!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Wow that is going to be heavy! I'm so glad to see that
these atrocities are finally being brought forward to gain
more people's attention & hopefully some positive change
will be the outcome.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

It's probably a good time for the Postal department to give Johnny Law a few training sessions on how to negotiate the Canine obstacle...

And the fact it has come down to that is ludicrous.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

As much as I admire them for making the film, I don't think I'd be able to watch it. Too gut wrenching. Some of those clips were just awful, though I think the worst I ever saw was the Canadian cops literally executing a dog that was laying in the grass doing absolutely nothing, even as the officer approached it with a shotgun.

For what it's worth, not every officer who encounters a pooch is so quick to shoot. An officer in my neck of the woods just received several bite wounds to the hands and face trying to pull a dog off a woman. He did eventually wind up having to shoot the dog, but not until the animal had bitten both of them multiple times. More restraint like that could go a long way.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

When Deputy Jerrod Dooley drove up to Cole Middleton's property, got out and shot his dog in the back of the head "because cop", he thought he'd got away with it at first. All smirky and laughing.

Up until the community let the prosecutor and the sheriff know they were shortly going to be looking for alternative employment. They then threw the deputy under the wheels and informed him it was resign and accept decert or face 5 years minimum mandatory for animal cruelty. It stuck. Dooley was decertified, and can never again be a LEO. Which is as it should have been

Nothing, NOTHING scares a pol more than being chucked out of office. You've just got to let them know they're in more immediate trouble from their electorate than they can ever be from FOP or the local union.

Dooley's a start. It ought to be something on every cop's mind when they decide they're going to teach you a lesson by shooting your dog.

eta: FOP et al lobbying seems a lot more like a trade union than a public service union, too. I'd be all for them getting the PATCO treatment. They ought to be fighting for decent pay, reasonable hours, and treatment for their rank and file, not doing political lobbying or rendering opinions in the press on anything.
edit on 31-10-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

As much as I admire them for making the film, I don't think I'd be able to watch it.

Personally, I'm going to kick a few thousand their way. I wish I could help more. It's an issue. Sadly, it's an issue I think that cops could address by forcing their unions NOT to support egregious dog shootings. But it'll never happen, because blue omerta.

Too gut wrenching. Some of those clips were just awful, though I think the worst I ever saw was the Canadian cops literally executing a dog that was laying in the grass doing absolutely nothing, even as the officer approached it with a shotgun.

I think the mayor of Berwyn Heights' dogs being shot as they tried to run and then the Sheriff presenting the deputies with awards for doing it while the investigation was showing they were at fault is sort of indicative of how I see most cops' approach to the subject. I do think that they kill dogs to show the owner "who the boss is", since there's absolutely zero pushback from the legal side. They can kill dogs with impunity, so they do. Not in every case. But in many. That needs to change, and in a big way. If you're Officer Studly Chihuahua Shooter you really ought to have some shame. But I imagine they count as much as a 'pit bull'.

No feedback, no change. The only way to force the thing is the Texas way - make sure the politicians and prosecutors understand they are going to be recalled. Right then. And then you see the 'nol pros' get put back in the pocket and some justice happening.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
He did eventually wind up having to shoot the dog, but not until the animal had bitten both of them multiple times. More restraint like that could go a long way.

Yes, it would. And I don't expect cops to be bitten by bad dogs.

But seriously, you can tell the difference most times. Like, 99% of the time.

Unless the dog's trained to give you bogus body language, you can easily tell what the animal's state of mind is. I mean, it's a damned dog. It's not like it's a four footed Albert Einstein.

The cops that whistle up the dog and then shoot it and laugh - decertification should be the first step. Torturing animals is like peeing the bed and burning things - it's an indication you're a psychopath. Not who I want with a badge on.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

You won't get any argument outta me, bud. Me personally, and several officers I know, have handled dogs, including aggressive ones, without shooting them. It boggles my mind when somebody is that quick to shoot. Hell, I know of an officer who's all of 5'3 and 115 with her duty gear on and got cornered in an apartment building hallway by a dog and still didn't have to shoot it. She did have to kick it, but I would take a swift kick over a .40 to the head any day.

I can certainly understand that there are situations where it's warranted and even, sadly, needed. But the majority of them? No. It may be justified, but it's not warranted. And that can be a rather large distinction.

ETA - I agree with your comments about the unions. That's why Shammy just says no thanks.
edit on 31-10-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
They sure are using the word "men" lightly, aren't they?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I couldn't views the entire video, it was just too hard to watch. You wonder if these cops have ever owned a pet. No matter how much someone doesn't care about a dog, these dogs become part of its human family. My entire family wept when our previous golden retriever died of cancer. Police officers should be using dog repellent instead of shoot to kill. If mail persons can get away with using dog repellent, I'm sure these officers can too!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
All dogs are not innocent.

Look at that pooch that would talk to son of sam.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Won't watch it. Sorry it's just too hard for me.

They can kill dogs with impunity, so they do. Not in every case. But in many. That needs to change, and in a big way. If you're Officer Studly Chihuahua Shooter you really ought to have some shame. But I imagine they count as much as a 'pit bull'.

If anyone ever hurt my dog I would literally go into John Wick mode. No need for courts.

I feel for all those people who have lost dogs to overzealous police officers, and when I see it happen, I want to do bad things.
edit on 31-10-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz
If anyone ever hurt my dog I would literally go into John Wick mode. No need for courts.

I feel for all those people who have lost dogs to overzealous police officers, and when I see it happen, I want to do bad things.

I think lots of people feel this way, it makes me wonder how many take vengeance for their little furry friends.... as well those are the stories we don't hear about.

edit on 31-10-2015 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I have zero problem with police responding to a call and when confronted by a violent animal they remove its brain via bullet. However all to often it seems the footage shows a happy dog wagging his tail approaching the officer(s) or a dog that's size makes it impossible to even be a threat gets wasted by zealous a officer.

At the end of the day a dog is a dog I am still more concerned about their killing of innocent people and kids or those who are only a danger to themselves.

Heck they will shoot you if you have the wrong look in your eye. Your can be shot just minding your own business when a cop lets loose on a suspect and your in the forground. You can even get shot right in your brain but usually in the back threw the rear windshield for fleeing in a motor vehicle.

They are doing their jobs I get that but they just need to be accountable for their actions like he rest of us.

Holy moly bedlam way to put your money were your mouth is if you really do givethat sum good on yea man! Nothing gets the cogs turning like moolah

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
S&F bro..Like prev posters have said I can't bring myself to click on the vid..I would prob break the TOC of this site of what I really want to say..Anyway It's Effed up what these "Cops" get away with..
Edit,@shamrock..You're one of the good one's,I respect you...
edit on 1-11-2015 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

top topics

join