It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You Like Coloring?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Psychologists Say Coloring Is The Best Alternative To Meditation

Psychologists found that coloring in or out of the lines helps unlock creative potential. It also helps relieve tension and anxiety, something we have amply in this society of ours.

"I recommend it as a relaxation technique," says Antoni Martinez, a psychologist. "We can use it to enter a more creative, freer state. I recommend it in a quiet environment, even with chill music. Let the color and lines flow."

I enjoy coloring for relaxation and creative stimulation. I, also, think the colors we choose play a role. I found an OP that shows the meaning of colors and interestingly enough it seems to suggest as much.

Colors Have Meaning and Energy!!!

Green,Yellow, Orange, Blue and Red; have different meanings and energy associated to each. There are many variations of each color. The darker hue of each color is stronger...the lighter color is weaker. Some colors combine to create other colors and they share both qualities of each color they create. I will be focusing on the main colors I mentioned.

I tend to shy away from red and I enjoy blue, green, gold and purple the most, personally.

I decided to share some B&W artwork I have done over the years. Feel free to print them and color that stress away, share them with your kids and friends!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree
I saw this on the news the other day. I wasn't sure if it was a dumbing down of creativity. I guess if people enjoy it and find some pleasure from it, who am I to judge,but surely the creativity comes from creating your own work not just doing the colours, which was probably one of the easiest part of the creative process. I don't know

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I just moved in with my little brother who works for this big sports betting agency... Anyway, his got all these "energy renewal" and "anti stress management" information and exercises that the company have obviously given there employees.

Its mostly all just that new age Californian nonsense, to be honest... But among it is an adult 'anti -stress' colouring book and a pack of colouring pencils.

I'm actually kinda tempted to colour in a few pages myself, to be honest. Blue, yellow and white are the colours that seem to have a calming effect on me.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Nice designs,think I'll might try a few..I just started building model cars again after 15 yrs,and I find that relaxing.Anyway cool positive thread S&F..

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I don't think it is a dumbing down of creativity and the colors themselves do play a huge role in how we cope with stressful situations.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Take a look at the other OP I posted, it explains certain colors and their effects.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
a reply to: greydaze

Thanks. Please do and if you care to share the finished product that would be awesome!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I colored mandalas before I got back into crochet. The thing about mandalas is most of them mean something so it was a form of meditation.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Nice OP

Coming from first hand experience I definitely see the benefits of colouring during times of stress etc. My partner suffers a severe mental illness and in my usual manner of researching any way to help her I came across the idea of colouring.
With studies showing that using the hands engages the front part of the brain. This allows the person to get a bit of respite from stress or anxiety.

Some of the books I bought were made up of quite intricate colouring images that do take a lot of focus to stay within the lines. Also some of the better ones have some simple phrases that can create some kind of reflection on positive aspects of your life. Finally I've seen a couple of pages where instead of intricate colouring there are some images with parts removed. Therefore you must be creative to fill the missing parts which again is soothing to the participant.

Although I have seen the benefits of the books. It is more when situations are bordering on distress when they are useful. Once that line into very anxious and distress is crossed these books don't really work. I've had the books thrown at me and threatened with shoving the expensive colouring pencils where the sun doesn't shine.

But all in all I get the science behind it and also see the real world effects.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: liteonit6969

Sometimes there is a need to allow oneself to be miserable for the numbing sensation that goes with it to the point where that negative energy manifest itself in an outwardly motion.

I allow myself to get anxious on purpose sometimes to get that humbleness I need to keep me grounded.

The pain I deal with daily can be overwhelming and debilitating to the point of insufferable consequences, so I have to get it out of me, that anger and hurt can only be "relaxed" away so many times before it needs to come out.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I wasn't sure if it was a dumbing down of creativity.

Ouch. I don't think that's the case. My children color all the time and they're in their early and mid 20's. Their creativity is mind blowing to me. I believe that all activities contribute to your creativity, especially when you "zone out" doing so. From that place, all creativity arises.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I love coloring. I love anything with art, carving pumpkins, face painting, painting in general, doodling, drawing. I just realized how much I love coloring when my daughter started coloring in coloring books, I color along with her. Sometimes she stops and I keep coloring. It was addicting. No other form of art captivates me like coloring. I love mixing colors. I always considered it a cheap way to get out my art fix (crayons cheaper than paints). Ive heard of these adult coloring books, I would probably love them but my daughters coloring books (which my mom jokes one is mine) work just fine for me.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
A few weeks ago I bought a mermaid coloring book. It had unusual paper that looks like stained glass after you color the piece.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
My mother has always loved crafts that engage her hands and use color like embroidery and counted cross stitch which is a variant of embroidery. However, she also suffers from arthritis and is fighting against her vision slowly going bad. Between the two, needlework isn't as easy for her to engage in like she used to. The new adult coloring is an imperfect solution, but it allows her to still play with color and keep her hands engaged in a way that isn't as demanding on her sore joints.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Would love to see it if you can share somehow!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Well, my nerve damage is fairly severe so all I can really do truthfully for any length of time is point and click a color, hence the windows paint, but the principle is still the same for me; it helps me to relax and distract, while allowing my creativity to at least have some fun.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

Not all activities do that, but I do get your inference!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

That is another benefit if you have children; it allows you to share time together bonding that doesn't require much conversation.

posted on Nov, 26 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'm a live in caregiver for this awesome lady with dementia. There's not many recreational activities that are practical for her to do. Even less that keep her attention. This past Easter I had a bag from Target filled with Easter basket stuff for my goddaughter. In just the amount of time it took to check on dinner in the oven, my 82-year-old friend had helped herself to these gifts. She was wearing a child tiara. had her arms filled with bangle brackets. The dog was covered in hello kitty stickers (a nice change from the makeup she usually puts on him). When I initially noticed the empty bag, I was a tiny bit annoyed. I would have to make another trip to Target but watching her color in her new coloring book, using her new crayons, I didn't have the heart to interrupt her. I also realized it was the first time she wasn't following me like a shadow or doing something like giving our desert tortoise coffee. Caring for someone with dementia is very mentally exhausting because you always have to be vigilant. Even when I sleep, one eye has to be open, since the wee hours of the morning is when she likes to party the most. Lol.
Getting way off topic, but I just wanted to express what little privacy or relaxation I had. (btw- I absolutely adore this lady and wouldn't change anything about her. She's my BFF and everything in this comment is said with love). After noticing how much she enjoyed coloring, i went online to order some more books. I ordered a couple adult themed books. I also ordered some from a company that makes them specifically for those diagnosed with dementia and are claimed to be designed in a way that, when used regularly, is beneficial for their memory. The way she colors is very unorthodox (dementia related?) but really creative. These books occupy her enough so I can accually accomplish things around the house and boost her self esteem. She'll color a picture with someone, usually a relative, in mind and I'll mail it to them for her. I am very greatful that we have found a hoppy she loves. I could totally see where its benefits are comparable to meditation.

new topics

top topics

join