It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 6 Reasons China and Russia Are Catching Up to the U.S. Military

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Cosmic911

Interesting that we are in financial debt to a sworn enemy.

How is China a sworn enemy? Did the U.S not send aid and military supplies to China in WW2 to help them fight off the Japanese? If you're referring to them adopting communist policies post WW2, it hasn't really effected their ability to establish trade deals with the U.S and superseding the U.S. as an economic superpower. I assume that's why you consider them an enemy of the state.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nac2m

Great article. Thank you for sharing. It's unbelievable how long these problems have existed, and no one has done anything.

My thoughts:

1. Congress does (and should) have the power to approve military spending. They can't be trusted to cancel any projects, though, because there are so many defense jobs in so many congressional districts. We should allow the Secretary of Defense to cancel any project he sees fit with the advice and recommendations of the Joint Chiefs. Congress can't be trusted to do anything! A poll conducted in 2013 revealed a low 7% of Americans had 'a great deal,' or 'quite a lot' of confidence in Congress as an American institution. That's appalling.

2. All inventory and accounting software and practices must be updated. I know there are multiple inventory programs being used that aren't compatible with one another. The military must be able to know exactly what equipment it has and exactly where it is. This would greatly improve their accounting and their deployment capabilities. I know it will cost a lot to upgrade the systems, but it will save a lot more in the long run. I'm not an accountant, and apparently, the government has really poor CPAs as well.

3. Stop the NSA from spying on citizens, and instead have them catch spies. I don't think this needs an explanation. The FBI is convinced 9/11 could have been averted had the NSA's surveillance program been up and running at that time. I disagree. While they may be a 'clearing house' of metadata, my confidence in their ability to assess, coordinate, evaluate, disseminate, and act on said information is low. CIA and NSA contract a great deal with non-military contractors. Who knows what they're doing with all this information. What and who's agenda, motives, and plans cannot be appropriately monitored and managed. The very nature of intelligence gathering in this country invites espionage and betrayal, misappropriations, and 'what nots.'

4. Get rid of all no-bid contracts. Also, all contracts should have strict guidelines for time, quality, etc. with stiff penalties for not meeting those guidelines. Agreed. Although labeled 'wasteful' and 'inefficient' by the Obama administration, Federal agencies awarded $115.2 billion in no-bid contracts in fiscal year 2012, an 8.9 increase from $105.8 billion from 2009, according to government data. Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Raytheon were top recipients of sole-source contracts.

5. Energy dependency is a national security issue. We need to build a sustainable energy infrastructure. This will probably be a mix of solar, wind, tidal, geothermal, and nuclear. We need practical vehicle technology that greatly reduces or eliminates the need for fossil fuels. I know people are already working on this stuff, but we need a more coordinated effort. I'd love to see some next-gen thorium reactors built. We can produce all our oil and electricity from domestic sources, we greatly expand our options in places like the Middle East. Agreed. Energy dependency IS a national security issue. Unfortunately, there's too much $$ in the Here and Now for major corporations to invest and produce alternative technologies. More money. More isn't enough. Millions aren't enough. 10 houses aren't enough. Beach rentals aren't enough. Greed! Greed! Greed! Yes, new ideas are being researched and developed, but at alarmingly low rates, making sure nothing ever really gets accomplished. What some call me out as 'conspiratorial, I rebut with practical, pragmatic, and realistic.

Some of this stuff we can do now; some of it will take a while. The loner we wait, the longer it will take. Great quote. Appropriate quote. The longer we wait, the more money they make!

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Oh i believe that Russia and china haven't a clue as to what the Atomic energy commission has at their disposal.

If the f-35 was actually being offered to other countries for sale, then what we are hiding is far in advance by 10 years of anything that's been seen. that means missile, laser,rail gun, sound, radar, nuclear, drone, Satellite and other more sophisticated energy weapons. I'd say that if any of these nations really ever messed with the US on a serious threatening level, we'll deal with them With prejudice and they wont ever see it coming

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 11:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: NateTheAnimator

Interesting that we are in financial debt to a sworn enemy.

How is China a sworn enemy? See below...

Did the U.S not send aid and military supplies to China in WW2 to help them fight off the Japanese? That has nothing to do with being enemies It just means we're behaving like the better society, humane and just.

If you're referring to them adopting communist policies post WW2, it hasn't really effected their ability to establish trade deals with the U.S and superseding the U.S. as an economic superpower. I assume that's why you consider them an enemy of the state.
Yes, adopting communist policies makes you my enemy. Want to know what really makes you my enemy? The number of human rights violations China commits against its own people is obscene. No one can defend China here. Violations against protesters and activists, physicians, lawyers, teachers...violations against the handicapped, children, mental health patients. Arbitrary imprisonment, torture, detention. Repression. Oppression. The abuses cannot be measured. That makes you my enemy. And any country that has no animal protection laws, and specifically eats dogs, as during the Yulin festival, will never be a friend of mine. Ethnocentrist? Maybe. I don't care.
edit on 31-10-2015 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2015 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 12:13 AM
link   
One word: allies

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM
Oh i believe that Russia and china haven't a clue as to what the Atomic energy commission has at their disposal.

If the f-35 was actually being offered to other countries for sale, then what we are hiding is far in advance by 10 years of anything that's been seen. that means missile, laser,rail gun, sound, radar, nuclear, drone, Satellite and other more sophisticated energy weapons. I'd say that if any of these nations really ever messed with the US on a serious threatening level, we'll deal with them With prejudice and they wont ever see it coming

I concur. When 'push comes to shove' it'll be one hell of a punch. Unfortunately, with the advent of low-intensity warfare, specifically Viet Nam forward, wars are no longer being fought 'old school.' The conclusion of the cold war resulted in third world nation-state terrorism, all pissed off at the United States. The U.S. military, and our politicians, have failed to reap the lessons and education that certain parts of the world have to share, for instance the French in Viet Nam, the U.S. in Viet Nam, arming Saddam Hussein during the Iran/Iraq war, arming the Mujahadeen against the Soviets in Afghanistan. History, quite bloodily, repeats itself. But's it's one hell of a money maker so why pay attention to history? Tragic, really.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cosmic911

originally posted by: SPECULUM

I concur. When 'push comes to shove' it'll be one hell of a punch. Unfortunately, with the advent of low-intensity warfare, specifically Viet Nam forward, wars are no longer being fought 'old school.' The conclusion of the cold war resulted in third world nation-state terrorism, all pissed off at the United States. The U.S. military, and our politicians, have failed to reap the lessons and education that certain parts of the world have to share, for instance the French in Viet Nam, the U.S. in Viet Nam, arming Saddam Hussein during the Iran/Iraq war, arming the Mujahadeen against the Soviets in Afghanistan. History, quite bloodily, repeats itself. But's it's one hell of a money maker so why pay attention to history? Tragic, really.
Those wars weren't really meant to be won in the surrender sense, we were in it to manufacture and test our technology, and see/spy on our real enemies. To the military industrial complex and our national security, we must know our enemies capability and we must advance our war knowledge on many battle fronts...These were all necessary tests to work out the bugs

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   

That has nothing to do with being enemies It just means we're behaving like the better society, humane and just.

A better society who segregated a portion of it's population because they happened to be Japanese? How does that make the U.S a humane society or even a just one for that matter?

Yes, adopting communist policies makes you my enemy. Want to know what really makes you my enemy? The number of human rights violations China commits against its own people is obscene. No one can defend China here. Violations against protesters and activities, physicians, lawyers, teachers...violations against the handicapped, children, mental health patients. Arbitrary imprisonment, torture, detention. Repression. Oppression. The abuses cannot be measured. That makes you my enemy. And any country that has no animal protection laws, and specifically eats dogs, as during the Yulin festival, will never be a friend of mine. Ethnocentrist? Maybe. I don't care.

Ethnocentrist is an understatement. China has a history of human rights violations and so does the U.S, my point is the U.S was able to turn a blind eye to China's social issues and were able to passively support them for they shared a common foe. I'm not defending China's atrocious crimes against humanity, I'm just trying to figure out how you can have such a xenophobic point of view of China.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Internment of Japanese-Americans, American citizens was woefully wrong. I concur. I was comparing us against the Chinese, not the Japanese.

Ethnocentrist, not so much, Isolationist, yes! The answer may surprise you. Our predilection for war mongering makes me so. I'm a patriot and a veteran, but I'm tired of spilling blood and spilling my blood to satisfy the financial whims of the greed of capitol hill.

America Has Been At War 93% of the Time – 222 Out of 239 Years – Since 1776

We have only been at peace for 21 years since the birth of our republic! That's astounding to me. Sickening, really.

the United States was founded in 1776, she has been at war during 214 out of her 235 calendar years of existence. In other words, there were only 21 calendar years in which the U.S. did not wage any wars.

To put this in perspective:

* Pick any year since 1776 and there is about a 91% chance that America was involved in some war during that calendar year.

* No U.S. president truly qualifies as a peacetime president. Instead, all U.S. presidents can technically be considered “war presidents.”

* The U.S. has never gone a decade without war.

* The only time the U.S. went five years without war (1935-40) was during the isolationist period of the Great Depression.

Check This Out

But seriously, I meant what I said about eating dogs. That aside, they have no animal protection laws. Animals in the wild treat themselves better than we treat our fellow man. I trust my dogs more than I'd ever other humans. Compassion, empathy...treats we should be demonstrating on a more often basis, however, as a race I believe we have mostly failed. Another civilization looking at us would be disappointed in the amount of killing and destruction we reap on each other.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

Proxy wars...couldn't they just make an Xbox 360 game to do the same thing?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:25 AM
link   
They say technology will hit a brick wall by 2025..... so of course China and Russia will be catching up very soon, their war machines will have the same algorithms as we have..... eventually a techno singularity will happen sometime after 2030.... around 2045 AI will stage a war to destroy mankind..... that is if we don't destroy ourselves first.

So yeah, no big deal, we are all doomed. Nothing we can do to stop it.....

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: imitator
They say technology will hit a brick wall by 2025..... so of course China and Russia will be catching up very soon, their war machines will have the same algorithms as we have..... eventually a techno singularity will happen sometime after 2030.... around 2045 AI will stage a war to destroy mankind..... that is if we don't destroy ourselves first.

So yeah, no big deal, we are all doomed. Nothing we can do to stop it.....

I haven't studied AI in any depth. Other than Terminator, I haven't read much on AI waging war against the human race. I do find the concept of 'techno singularity' interesting, as I have never heard of the term. I also find the idea of technology hitting a 'brick wall' intriguing, kinda the opposite of all the advances we saw during the space age with technology and computers. I think the ability to miniaturize technology is utterly fascinating. It is, perhaps, one of the reasons we won the cold war. The Soviets never quite figured it out, instead relying on large, cumbersome launchers and trailers. A retailatory strike by the Soviets would come slow and dragged out, resulting in major losses to land, infrastructure, personnel, and strategic operational bases. Putting nukes on subs was an amazing feat.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
I can answer in 1
1) President Obama who does not believe in national defense . Easy

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Ethnocentrist, not so much, Isolationist, yes! The answer may surprise you. Our predilection for war mongering makes me so. I'm a patriot and a veteran, but I'm tired of spilling blood and spilling my blood to satisfy the financial whims of the greed of capitol hill.

I take back my previous comment in regards to this. I can't agree more though with everything else you've stated.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I think another big problem that will hit in the next decade is education.

US education is a joke these days.

Schools focus more on social engineering and the concept of "everyones a winner".
English, maths a d science will suffer, hell it happening here in the UK too. Since labour gutted our education our science areas have taken a hit. When school's are more focused on teaching LGTDBCDSR+ issues over REAL subjects and slowing classes down to the slowest members its going to have a bad result.
You also have science practicals severely restricted due to health and safety, terrorism and drugs, gone are the days kids can make homemade fireworks ectand here are the days a kid with a chemistry set can get there door kicked down by police for fear of a drug lab, makeing science a bland subject

Couple that with the riseof "universitys" with there flood of pointless libral arts degrees and you have a crisis about to hit.

I think the dumbing down of education is a way to keep the population compliant and ignorant to what the government does. But it will suck the life of its engineers and scientists away to the point your R&D will become irrelevant.......

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The Avis car rental company used to advertise themselves with the slogan "We're no.2; we try harder".
Perhaps that could be a factor.

I hope they fired that advertising agency. What a terrible slogan. That's like advertising suicide.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
I think another big problem that will hit in the next decade is education. I agree. Knowledge is power.

US education is a joke these days. I am disappointed to agree with you. High school graduation rates are at an all-time low.

Schools focus more on social engineering and the concept of "everyones a winner". Drives me crazy as well. This concept is not reality-based. It really sets kids up to fail. When you fail at something you should be driven to figure why. To make corrections. To make yourself better. This concept removes that drive.

English, maths a d science will suffer, hell it happening here in the UK too. Since labour gutted our education our science areas have taken a hit. When school's are more focused on teaching LGTDBCDSR+ issues over REAL subjects and slowing classes down to the slowest members its going to have a bad result. We have fallen behind in math and engineering. I think it's because production in the U.S. is non-existent. Once you remove all these jobs that depended on the hard sciences, engineering, production, etc, you remove the need to study it. I do believe that LGTB are 'real issues.' That's like saying equality issues, such as women's suffrage, the rights of blacks, mental health, and those with handicaps aren't 'real issues.' That's just not true. However, they should be integrated just like every other issue, and not overwhelm the classroom exclusively.

You also have science practicals severely restricted due to health and safety, terrorism and drugs, gone are the days kids can make homemade fireworks ectand here are the days a kid with a chemistry set can get there door kicked down by police for fear of a drug lab, makeing science a bland subject Last summer I built rockets with my nephews. We built them from scratch. No kits. It's was great fun and we learned a lot. While we took every measure to be safe, some of those rockets took right hand turns at 90 degrees! Not the safest, but man was it fun! Please don't get me going on the 'War on Drugs,' or the 'War of Terror.' It seems whatever we declare war on increases immensely! Coincidence? I think not.

Couple that with the riseof "universitys" with there flood of pointless libral arts degrees and you have a crisis about to hit. Agreed. This is even a problem at the high school level. Vocation programs, such as plumbing, electrical, construction have diminshed greatly over the past 20 years. But that's in response to the decrease of production in this country. The need for it is no longer.

I think the dumbing down of education is a way to keep the population compliant and ignorant to what the government does. But it will suck the life of its engineers and scientists away to the point your R&D will become irrelevant.......R&D is so plagued by politics and bullsh&^ it comes to a standstill. A prime example of this is the F35 JSF program. We can't even build a plane anymore it seems!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:50 AM
link   
They don't seem to be using it now. This was from National Geographics of the 60's.
But it was actually quite a clever way of turning round the disadvantage that their competitors could call themselves "No1".
The message was "Therefore we will give you better service than them. They don't think they need to bother".

Similarly Russia and China might be "trying harder", while the U.S relaxes in complacency.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
They don't seem to be using it now. This was from National Geographics of the 60's.
But it was actually quite a clever way of turning round the disadvantage that their competitors could call themselves "No1".
The message was "Therefore we will give you better service than them. They don't think they need to bother".

Similarly Russia and China might be "trying harder", while the U.S relaxes in complacency.

Everyone wants to be on the 'varsity' team. No one grows up wanting to be No. 2, or a second-stringer. I agree 100% that being complacent is no way to behave. It appears to me that some are 'trying hard' to be complacent.
In certain circles that will get you killed pretty quickly.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
After posting my first reply, I googled and discovered an advertising industry article about the slogan. Apparently they did not give it up until 2012, after it had been "iconic" for fifty years, and it was originally a massive success.
adage.com...

It was a huge success for Avis. In a matter of a single year, that campaign reversed the company's fortunes, helping it to go from losing $3.2 million to turning a profit of $1.2 million for the first time in 13 years...
She added that the previous longstanding motto isn't quite extinct. "We firmly believe that after nearly five decades, 'We Try Harder' is fully embedded in the Avis DNA, and defines the spirit our employees embody to deliver superior customer service."

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join