It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cant get rid of unwanted search engine as homepage

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   
A crappy search engine has planted itself as my homepage and new tab page and I cant get rid of it.

I use Google Chrome (reluctantly, I just go with what ever every one else is using, computer stuff is the last thing on my list of things to learn). I have gone to settings and changed them back to what I want but it keeps reverting back to the bloody search engine and making Ask my default browser when I right click search from highlighted text. Any ideas? Thanks.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

You have been hijacked by malware. Download an antivirus program and download malwarebytes, run them, and you should target whatever has hijacked your homepage. If you're lucky it isn't something really bad that has installed a bunch of random autoloaders on your PC.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I thought I had but looking now, its gone. Download it all again I suppose.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Some of the more PITA pieces of malware can actually deactivate AV programs.

If you lack experience with computers, you may want to seek an assist from a friend. Baring that, try bleepingcomputer.com I've found their articles to be very helpful and their tech support forum is top notch.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I agree with burdman30ott6

Malwarebytes virus scan might not fully address the problem, I have found.

But a similar anti-rootkit tool ought to do the deed.

Here is one from Malwarebytes: www.malwarebytes.org...

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Usage
Simply run Autoruns and it shows you the currently configured auto-start applications as well as the full list of Registry and file system locations available for auto-start configuration. Autostart locations displayed by Autoruns include logon entries, Explorer add-ons, Internet Explorer add-ons including Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), Appinit DLLs, image hijacks, boot execute images, Winlogon notification DLLs, Windows Services and Winsock Layered Service Providers, media codecs, and more. Switch tabs to view autostarts from different categories.

Autoruns for windows

This program should help you locate unwanted additions to the register files and delete them. Hopefully this will remove the unwanted search engine.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Another tip
on't just click through ANYTHING.Read it.

My personal unfavourite is that blasted "Ask Toolbar".I detest any bloatware,but that one is a nightmare to get rid of.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Ericthedoubter

on't?

What is that?

Haz I broken internet?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Thanks guys, have downloaded and reinstalled AVG and run it but it hasn't got rid of it. I don't know when it disappeared from the computer, I always had it before and never had a problem. It supposedly got rid of 7 threats.

Will try malwarebytes now.

I think I can do what your saying too Tindalos2013, will try that next.

Dratted thing even goes to Ask when I click "open in new tab" off the ATS search engine.
edit on 30/10/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
I personally find a combination of spybot search and destroy, and avg free or premium work well at getting rid of spyware and and adware..

I use Firefox so when something hijacks my homepage I just go into about:config and remove it, there is surely a comparative feature in chrome.. Check your add-ons list too as some websites and programs install them without asking..

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
Try running this to check for other unwanted guests. It's free

www.bleepingcomputer.com...
edit on 30-10-2015 by DAVID64 because: better link

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Add or remove programs.... It may be listed there. From there, block, delete or remove.

I'll bet that's why it stays... Because it's not virus, already, etc.... But it listed as a program.... And that's why it's staying.... Find if it is and delete program-toolbar

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Get rid of AVG. It creates more problems than it solves. Use Microsoft Security Essentials in combination with Malwarebytes and Ccleaner. In this case though, you need some extra help. Download ADWCleaner to your desktop. Scan with it, then clean. Also be very careful with Autoruns. It's a good program, but delete the wrong thing and you'll be reinstalling your OS.

In Chrome: Click on the three bars in the upper right corner. Go to settings> Extensions. Remove any extensions that don't say google. Then go back to settings> advanced settings> reset settings. Now set Chrome back up the way you want it, after you have run malwarebytes and adwcleaner on your system. Remember to uncheck hardware acceleration and the box right above it in settings.

Lastly, as has been mentioned, do make sure Ask has been uninstalled from programs and features if it is there.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   
With your internet browser open press ' CTRL, SHIFT and DELETE ' this will open up your browser settings, there will be a heading that says ' on startup' on the third line down select set pages and you can add and remove start up pages when your browser is opened, if the program is in this section you can just delete it and set the url of the page you want opened, for example I have google set to open in this settings page.

Also in the left part of the page there is a section labeled extensions, if the program is in there you may be able to deactivate in this section also.

These solutions may keep the program on your computer but might stop it auto running when you open your browser.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I don't know Chrome too well but the solution seems similar to the one I used on Firefox to fix it.

In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu Chrome menu.
Select Settings.
At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
Under the section "Reset settings," click Reset settings.
In the dialogue that appears, click Reset.

If not I found a handy chrome browser app to let you change the layout/contents of your new tab page:
chrome.google.com...

Ahh I found a really helpful page:

www.askvg.com...

The bit related to your problem is right under the second image on that page. Good luck!
edit on 30-10-2015 by BelowLowAnnouncement because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: spygeek
I use Firefox so when something hijacks my homepage I just go into about:config and remove it, there is surely a comparative feature in chrome.. Check your add-ons list too as some websites and programs install them without asking..

I came in to say this solution too, but then the OP said he used Chrome. I don't know about the comparative place in Chrome to do that.

OP: Go to your programs and features and make sure that any toolbars (like the Ask toolbar) are uninstalled. They are ALL adware.
edit on 30-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

One, I would stop using Google Chrome, but maybe that's just me. I avoid all thongs Google as a matter of habit.

Two, try uninstalling and reinstalling the browser. You ought to be able to save bookmarks (though I am not 100% sure there), and that ought to get rid of an unwanted addition.

Three, go into the Control Panel, and see if you can uninstall the search engine there. Sometimes, they sneak in with various programs and updates, and some can be a real pain to get rid of.

Hope some of this helps; know how annoying that can be, fro having to help the hubby clear one from his system.

As an added note, in case this is a virus or malware issue, Malwarebytes is good, as several posters have stated, and even the simple Windows Defender can catch problems. Never a bad idea to have some protection. I suspect it's just an annoying add-on, however.
edit on 30-10-2015 by LadyGreenEyes because: added comment

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

lol I had a client who had the ask search engine and she had norton antivirus which showed 0 infection. I found 166 viruses on her computer!

How to beat the program because it is a program.

A: go to your browser and search tools find search engines and click it delete the search engine or disable it. This can be tricky as it might have elevated its self admin privaledges.

B: delete the program by going to control panel and clicking features and programs. Find the program and uninstall it.

C: Look at your start up files this is where most people get burnt and cant figure out why it keeps showing up. Disable then delete the program in startup by useing the ctrl +alt+delete then clicking the start up tab find the program and disable it then delete it.

D: Cleanup download Ccleaner to clean the registry files as it will most likely cause some issue with the dll files
run ccleaner click registry click analyze and wait for the results. Click fix all dont worry about backup unless you want to be super careful. Repeat process till no fixes are needed. Run the same thing with internet files

Run malware bytes, hitman pro or Avast however if your running windows 10 dont run Avast is causes conflicts with cortana and the start menu.

If its a toolbar! open browser and find the tools or extension depends on if you have chrome or internet explorer. Find the program and disable and delete it.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: jobless1
I forgot to mention make sure you do this with every browser you have IE, chrome, firefox ect to make sure its not there.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   

One thing I have found to be very handy is a thing called IObit Uninstaller. It first uses the programs own uninstaller and then is conducts a search for any leftovers. It displays them and you can click 'delete all' or each item, one by one leaving out any folder you want left.

I've been using it for about 2 years now and its never come across any program or plugin it hasn't been able to delete, yet.

Its free and besides a Programs tab it has a Toolbar and Pluglins tab. In there you will see the offending website.
edit on 31-10-2015 by Azureblue because: z

top topics

<<   2 >>

join