It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Last Night's GOP Debate

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Debating successfully shows critical thinking skills and the ability to think on ones feet. I personally would like the President to display some of those traits.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
a reply to: intrptr

I know! It's really weird, right?

Well, the World Series is a really big deal to some people (and since my home team is in it, I'm excited about it - I remember that night 30 years ago like it was, well, last night)......

One would think that "the MSM" would have coordinated to not have two huge things on at the same time.......
or.....
well.....

Wut-the....???!!!!!

Here's the thing: FOX is carrying the WS, and this time CNBC carried the GOP debate (where Fox did it last time. So, does that mean FOX is more interested in baseball revenue than they actually are in the election?).

That isn't how it works. First, the World Series being played in late October is the norm, and Fox has the broadcast rights which they paid a large amount of money to NLB to get. They would never not air the World Series to air a debate that would cost them not only the loss of revenue from the commercials throughout the ballgame, but the they would lose the night in the ratings to NBC, CBS, and Fox, who would be airing actual content.

Second, only one network get to air each debate. This was the third debate and it was hosted by CNBC. Fox didn't have the rights to air this debate. Third, these things are held on cable networks, not network television, because the majority of America has no desire to suffer through three hours of a primary debate. If they did, and paid attention, idiots like Trump and Carson wouldn't be leading the polls right now.

Once the field is narrowed to three, you may see a debate aired on network television. It won't, howver, preempt a previously purchased sporting event which costs the network millions of dollars to gain the right to.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

I think that's why Sanders is at least consistent as he is not really under the same influence. Its just a shame his policy's will likely be unworkable in the USA.

I agree that he is consistent (which is laudable) but I find many of his fiscal views to be wholly unacceptable.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

I think he got a good heart but is trapped playing the politics game in DC and that will tire anyone out.

Its a shame because I think he has some pretty balanced views.

I think/thought so too - but he's being literally 'sidelined' now, "on the end" and being deprived of time in these debates.

This is one of the reasons I think we should have campaign-finance reform: we should limit each candidate to maybe 100 public announcements (time on air to be donated by the media outlets), no more than three months to campaign, and no lobbying.

As it is now, when we file our taxes, we all have the option to contribute $3 to the 'presidential campaign fund'. I have always said "no." But now, I'm rethinking.

Of those taxpayers who donate the $3, x amount of money will be raised. THEN, whoever wants to run for president (be it two or twenty people) each get an equal amount of what has been donated.

Everyone gets the same playing field. No superpacs, no lobbyist money, no media-advertising during debates.....no previously accumulated "wealth" is allowed.....

the way things are now looks more and more like The Hunger Games type of bullcrap.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: crazyewok

I think that's why Sanders is at least consistent as he is not really under the same influence. Its just a shame his policy's will likely be unworkable in the USA.

I agree that he is consistent (which is laudable) but I find many of his fiscal views to be wholly unacceptable.

I agree. The USA is just to big and to in debt already for his ideas to work on a federal level, not to mention the cultural issues it would cause.

His heart is in the right place and I think he is one of the few that went into politics to do good.....but that doesn't mean he is right.
edit on 29-10-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   

the way things are now looks more and more like The Hunger Games type of bullcrap.

Without all the satisfying deaths.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

Second, only one network get to air each debate. This was the third debate and it was hosted by CNBC. Fox didn't have the rights to air this debate.

Third, these things are held on cable networks, not network television, because the majority of America has no desire to suffer through three hours of a primary debate. If they did, and paid attention, idiots like Trump and Carson wouldn't be leading the polls right now.

Once the field is narrowed to three, you may see a debate aired on network television. It won't, howver, preempt a previously purchased sporting event which costs the network millions of dollars to gain the right to.

EXACTLY!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Without all the satisfying deaths.

Meh.

It's relatively satisfying to see someone have to "bow out" and publicly humiliated. It's a kind of death, in my experience with cliques, at least. At least for them. (Speaking from the bowed out and humiliated point of view, that is, having been a victim of such.....and trust me - IT SUCKS)

edit on 10/29/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

I got a lot more "entertainment" type content from both GOP debates than the Dem debate. Hell, they even talked about Trump ties last night (actually, they're not to shabby...I got a silk one for $9 at Burlington a few years ago).

Yeah, to me it was like watching WWE, whereas the Democrat debate was like watching Olympic-style wrestling.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

It's relatively satisfying to see someone have to "bow out" and publicly humiliated. It's a kind of death, in my experience with cliques, at least.

I want blood!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe instead of a debate we could have a wrestling-style battle royal cage match and let them pound the crap out of each other with folding chairs.

Camacho for President!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
....whereas the Democrat debate was like watching Olympic-style wrestling.

I thought it was more like that gymnastic event where they dance around with that giant streamer.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Like I said, I haven't given up all hope.

Sanders is my guy.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

*shrug* your entitled to that opinion. My take was that it was less about colorful characters, jokes, insults -- and more about the issues at hand and their respective policies.

Also, I found that the topics they covered at the Democratic debate to be more important to me. The GOP topics like abortion, gay marriage, vaccinations, Kim David, Ronald Reagan aren't really what's wrong with America or what needs to be fixed.

The Democrats did a better job IMO focusing on the larger issues like wealth inequality, the prison system, citizen's united, banking regulation -- all issues that have far-reaching implications for all people. The GOP debate(s) seemed to be more centered around social/moral issues...which are surface issues to me.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Like I said, I haven't given up all hope.

Sanders is my guy.

Well the ways things are going you may get your way.

With the quality of GOP candidates the democrats could literally put a turd up against them and win. Bernie just needs to get through the primary's.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
*shrug* your entitled to that opinion. My take was that it was less about colorful characters, jokes, insults -- and more about the issues at hand and their respective policies.

Also, I found that the topics they covered at the Democratic debate to be more important to me. The GOP topics like abortion, gay marriage, vaccinations, Kim David, Ronald Reagan aren't really what's wrong with America or what needs to be fixed.

The issue is the moderators select the topics and they tended to make this last debate like a cage match instead of focusing on critical topics that you mentioned. The Democrat debate had very little dissent and came across much more choreographed which is why I mentioned that streamer event.

edit on 29-10-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer but if he did he would drink it from a skull

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

The Democrat debate had very little dissent and came across much more choreographed which is why I mentioned that stream event.
Wait. What, gus?

I thought it came across as much more professional and pertinent......

the mud-slinging and interrupting and shouting-down going on at the GOP debates is face-palm-worthy.

The United States of Embarrica.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Wait. What, gus?

I thought it came across as much more professional and pertinent......

I just said it had very little dissent (what you are calling professional and pertient) and frankly it appeared more coordinated to me. The only person who even tried to contrast themselves with the other candidates was Webb.

the mud-slinging and interrupting and shouting-down going on at the GOP debates is face-palm-worthy.

The United States of Embarrica.

That is due to poor moderating and cruddy, irrelevant questions. They know it makes good theater to have the candidates go after each other so they serve up questions engineered to elicit that response.

Like I said earlier, I do not like Cruz but he was dead on.

edit on 29-10-2015 by AugustusMasonicus because: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Sorry, Buzzy. I didn't watch the debate and cannot offer much of an opinion. With the weather starting to change and winter quickly approaching, I took advantage of the relatively good weather last night to put some miles on my motorcycle.

I knew the debate would not produce anything of substance, so I found a better way to spend my time.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

No worries! I didn't watch it either (or even know about it!). I was busy trying to get in some last-minute glazing on my windows, recovering from bronchitis, cleaning my house, and dealing with family issues.

Politics was actually the last thing on my mind.
Hmmmm....wonder why that is????

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

That's for sure. I know a lot of people who are just watching it to get a laugh out of the next outrageous comment Trump dishes out. It seems like all the candidates, except for maybe Carson and Carly, they're starting to follow Trumps lead. The whole debate just didn't seem very presidential. They had a point in attacking the moderators, but no matter how much you dislike the questions, nobody is telling you to attack another candidate! They control their own temperament. A lot of them would interrupt other candidates and lob jabs without the moderator's addressing it.

If they continue to act like a bunch of clowns, the republican party will eventually self destruct! They won't have anyone to blame but themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join