It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ads that automatically play video with audio clips should not be allowed on ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Just my opinion, but Ads that automatically play video with audio clips should not be allowed on ATS.

I did not even click on an ad and somewhere a commercial is playing very loud on my computer. Then I have to go and look for the ad that is playing. I was surprised to find that it was coming from ATS..

I do not think this should be allowed on your site. It is intrusive.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

You could turn down your volume, close tabs or x out the ad before it plays, just saying…

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
That happened to me for the first time ever last evening. I'd never experienced it before so it was a bit disconcerting when I had to sort through and finally realized that it was coming from ATS since that was the only thing running.
I couldn't even find the ad, just closed the whole deal and started over.
Yes, I'm computer-stupid but in several years of visiting this site I'd never had it happen. Haven't changed anything on my machine.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

You assume nOraKat must be intuitive of such ads pushed upon him...As the Op clearly States "Suprised it came from ATS"

ETA: Grammar
edit on 28-10-2015 by Artye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Artye
a reply to: intrptr

You assume nOraKat must be intuitive of such ads pushed upon him…As the Op clearly States "Surprised it came from ATS"

Well (like you) it had to come from somewhere.

Welcome to ATS by the way. Yes the site is filled with ads, it helps pay the bills.

(post by Artye removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
It's not a rare thing. They're usually Dodge commercials. They start small at the top of the screen then go expand downwards and play the video.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
there isnt anything that can be done without going so far out of the way it becomes a bigger problem. but for the record, i too am agitated by those infernal ads. just a tiny touch of the mouse and poof, half the browser window is covered. i find that opening a tab, accessing the site, and switching to another tab before it loads can help.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

I agree, it's extremely annoying. I can understand ATS needing ads to help pay for expenses, but why do it in a way where you're annoying the same members who make your site what it is today? You don't want to drive members away.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons
Dont they have a thing if u donate a certain amount of money they kill ads or something like that?

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
It's not a rare thing. They're usually Dodge commercials. They start small at the top of the screen then go expand downwards and play the video.

Seems counter productive to me. I'll buy a junker Subaru before I'll buy a Dodge from that annoying style ad and I used to like Chrysler products.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Skeptic Overlord has a hit list thread for really intrusive ads like that. I think you can alert the staff via that thread, and they will investigate and remove such ads. ATS uses advertising to stay in business, but they do have standards.

edit on 28-10201510-1515 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Was it the "love travels Marriott" ad? just alerted the provider to remove it. That said, it doesn't activate unless you roll over it, neither does the Dodge ad.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Springer

Was it the "love travels Marriott" ad? just alerted the provider to remove it. That said, it doesn't activate unless you roll over it, neither does the Dodge ad.

Roll over ads are the most irritating. Especially because I've had them activate before the rest of the page was loaded and the video slows down progress for those of us with not so good tech.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
I agree. Annoying potential customers, genius! (sarcasm)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   

What more can a member ask for?

Member complains about ad - Site owner gets ad removed - Now that is service!

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: gwynnhwyfar
Skeptic Overlord has a hit list thread for really intrusive ads like that. I think you can alert the staff via that thread, and they will investigate and remove such ads. ATS uses advertising to stay in business, but they do have standards.

He does indeed:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
This is still browser related is it not? [snipped]
edit on 10.29.2015 by Kandinsky because: Thou shalt not mention such things as the blocking of the venerable commercials

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Springer

originally posted by: and14263

What more can a member ask for?

Member complains about ad - Site owner gets ad removed - Now that is service!

Yes that's nice .. thanks

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I AGREE!
one kept poping open at the bottom
taking up about 1/8 of the screen.
this is a spam! site as well...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join