It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1/3 of budget passed is about SSDI disability reform.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
but if a society isn't serving a group of people then those people should have the right to leave that society, or that's how I feel. and like I said, I don't really care what soceity's stupid laws say. if it's so bad that you are driving home from work and thinking about just driving off the danged bridge that you are crossing because all your life is offering you is a meager life of pain, and that is the only option that society is offering you, then well, it's time to either leave that society or well, drive your car off the bridge....
and oh, ya, trying to kill yourself is also illegal, isn't it....
so yes, that is the only option that society is offering me!

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Aww, poor girl. You don't have to end it either. Have faith, where the government or society doesn't provide, your needs will still be met (needs not vanities).

I have experienced that in my "outdoor phase", as well. All you have to do is take the next day, hour, moment without doing anything rash. Treat others like you want to be treated, and be patient.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: hammanderr
a reply to: wantsome

Why should taxpayers support you for the rest of your life just because you have mental problems? You should either work or live off others charity. Why should the US government take peoples money and give it to you? If you are too crazy to drive, then take public transportation or walk.
I don't drive anymore when I wake up I wait 2-3 hours for my medication to ware off. My medication lasts for 12 hours after I take it. I'm thankful for the programs we have in this country. There might come a time when you or a family member need them. My aunt felt the same way about such things until she got liver cancer at age 55. She had no health insurance until she got medicaid. She got a liver transplant that cost taxpayers $1,000,000. She's grateful to have gotten a second chance at life. You never know what curve ball life is going to throw at you. Tomorrow you could get in a car accident or come down with a illness and be disabled the rest of your life. If it happens to you I wish I could be there to see you live up to your words not apply for disability.

And by the way I don't appreciate being called crazy. I was stricken with an illness in the same way someone would get Parkinson's or Alzheimer's. It's a genetic condition that effects 1% of the population. For all outward appearances most people never even know I'm sick.
edit on 29-10-2015 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Yeah,
money is the reason why you and I (non specifically)-(our humanism) actually do not get to choose just how we are to go about living our own separate lives...permanent vacation syndrome is a classification I'd enjoy living with! It takes money to get that sick though, cough.

If a guy is expected to play by the rules...money as the vehicle of cooperation between two guys that don't like each other,
even golf-buddies give mulligans...

my articulation sucks.

If you require money from a body that is not capable of generating money--->
you put up the funds for him that you require of him.

Like you've never loaned a buddy a marble just so he can keep playing?

"I'll give you 50 bucks if you'll hangout with me for two minutes- buddy."

So will the bodies that left whole into to destroy a far off land/body who do not return to us whole as they left-

they should have died on that honorable battlefield???

edit on (10/29/1515 by loveguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

There are some good things in the deal, but the main problem is that SSDI is going to be bankrupt in several years, as are many social programs here in California and even the state retirement fund is going bankrupt, yet liberals seem like they do some crazy math to borrow money from other areas to pay for programs that need some serious reform.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think we should start with taking away their retirement plan first.

They have already bled us dry with nothing good to show for it.

We need to stop paying these crooks immediately.

edit on 29-10-2015 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
has anyone seen this bill yet? it's flew through the house late in the night, and then the senate at a very late hour, and it appears that there will be no resistance in the white house....

I highly doubt if anyone agreeing to this had enough time to read through the danged thing....
it sounds like it's another "We've got to pass it to see what's in it deal." and we all know just how well that went the last time!!!
seriously, anyone have a link to this?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
I don't know what it is about Republicans and why they're so insistent on going after social programs for the poor and injured. I'm sick and tired of the word entitlements as if we people on such programs think we're some self righteous group taking food out of the mouths of working people. For those that think so there might just come a day when you need such programs just like we that use them.

We waste billions giving aid to foreign governments and spend trillions on war. When it comes to average Americans if you become disabled your're a useless sponge on the system or in other words entitled.

Heres a few writes up about the recent budget arguments.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

www.washingtonpost.com...

SSI is not a handout. Not in my case, anyway. I worked and paid into this fund for 30 years, and now that I'm disabled, I'm collecting. The problem with the program is that the politicians have folded to pressure to include people who have never worked, or paid into the system. SSI isn't supposed to be welfare.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Social programs are to Republicans what holy water is to demons.

Yeah them Republicans sure are evil aren't they.

What's that word they use to describe someone that feeds people,clothes people, 'educates' people, all so they can deliver a cash crop?

Oh yeah SLAVE.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

"1/3 of budget passed is about SSDI disability reform"

Imagine if you will... or can, paying into a lifetime insurance policy to cover you should you someday sustain an injury that leaves you basically, well, disabled.

Now then, imagine that insurance company going... whooooaaa!!! We ain't paying you jack!
We changed our policy rules! Didn't we tell you?
Yes, you still pay into it from each and every payday but... should you ever need us to fulfill?

Look, just go find a place on a park bench and if you're lucky, you'll croak soon!

God love ya,

The US Government

PS -
FDR is rolling in his grave.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Why should taxpayers support you for the rest of your life just because you have mental problems? You should either work or live off others charity. Why should the US government take peoples money and give it to you? If you are too crazy to drive, then take public transportation or walk.

Wow just wow. Cant believe someone can type a post like that and not hate themselves so much for even thinking it that they spontaneously combust.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

I didn't say they were evil. You did.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Wow just wow. Cant believe someone can type a post like that and not hate themselves so much for even thinking it that they spontaneously combust.

So, what you're saying is, you can't believe that anyone could envision a society where people are expected to support themselves.

You're saying that having the government take US citizens money, forcibly, and giving it to anyone with a doctors note, is what should be happening.

You're amazed that anyone could imagine a country where people either worked and supported themselves or just had to go without.

So, who should work in this utopia you envision?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
Could also be because most of the people on disability that I have contact with just don't want to work and have found the trick to get it. When my wife retired they begged her to take disability and basically told her they could get it for her. It's the new long term unemployment

I didn't read past this comment so no one jump on me if someone else has said it. Hell, I think this is the first time in a year I've logged into ATS and it was only to reply here.

That's the major problem I have with all of this. I know or know of at least a couple dozen people through friends or family that are on full disability. People that aren't milking the system?

Off the top of my head... One, my father. The man is 56 years old and can barely walk, lift his arms above his head, sit for too long, move for too long and has a problem with his muscles/tendons/ligaments tearing seemingly no reason. He has a team of doctors that still haven't been able to figure out the cause after 20+ years but this isn't about the state to American healthcare so I'll stop there. He kept working until 5 years ago when he lost most of the use of his left arm after the muscles in his chest and back tore and still looked for less intensive work after that.

My personal situation probably makes me a bit biased but I'll be damned if I care about that regarding disability leeches. I'm 32 years old. I went out on my own when I was 14 and I worked my ass off for 15 years doing various things until one morning I woke up unable to stand. It was terrifying. I was a healthy, big guy laying in bed crying because I couldn't even move my right leg over my left to fall out of bed to crawl to the bathroom. It was the most horrible, helpless feeling I've ever had.

October 8th was the third anniversary of my first experience with that. Last week was the anniversary of my first diagnosis, next week marks 3 years since 2 more diagnoses. I found a doctor that is absolutely amazing and my prognosis has improved significantly in the past two years. I won't be wheelchair bound by 35-36. I won't lose the ability to care for myself by 45. I won't be trapped in my own body by 50. Which is great.

That great feeling is lessened, though, by what I've been through mentally because of this. Every single time I've met with someone or spoken over the phone to someone about disability benefits, I was treated like some sort of scum looking for a handout. To say that it's been implied that I'm lying about my symptoms would be a VAST understatement, even with multiple doctors' findings, test results, various scans and the like sitting directly in front of the people who are apparently much, much better than me because they're still able bodied.

I've been on the receiving end of COUNTLESS insults and comments because I no longer could survive by myself and had to move into my family home so that if I fell, my brother in law (more on him momentarily) would be there to pick me up and on days that I can't function someone can help me eat and the like.

Meanwhile, an uncle of mine is on full disability because he came down with a crippling case of depression when his father died. Never mind that he's independently wealthy and has his assets hidden in my aunts name and every dollar he receives goes to either vacationing or off-the-street prescription painkillers.

Another uncle is on disability because he purposely injured himself at work while high on coke. Both of his kids have been taken from him because of his habit but he still receives his disability.

My brother in law is on full disability because he was (against company rules) on a roof with no safety equipment and fell. Even though his doctors told him he'd make a full recovery (which, as far as I can tell, he has) he is considered permanently disabled and spends most days getting high and playing video games, doing contracting work under the table and playing with his collection of ATVs and dirt bikes.

I could go on and on but I won't. I couldn't take the garbage being dumped on me anymore and ended up giving up on disability altogether. I was EXTREMELY lucky to have an opportunity to open a business with a longtime friend who knows every last bit of my problems and understands 100%. My fiancee and I are planning on opening a second, unrelated business. I only add those 2 last sentences to express that I'm not exactly bitter, I'm in a better position than ever before in my life and none of it would have been possible if being disabled wasn't looked at by many as just shy of being a multiple felon. No, not bitter.

Disgusted. That's more what I'm looking for. It's disgusting that the half (or quite possibly less) of us that are actually disabled need to put up with what we do for something that's far beyond our control.

The fact that it's politicised makes it that much more disgusting. Democrats seem to want everyone dependant upon the state and federal governments and thereby make it easier for this leeching scum to receive these benefits. Republicans seem to stop just shy of suggesting some form of eugenics to prevent the people that really need help from getting it.

Here's an idea from my own experience that maybe BOTH could agree on: DRUG TEST APPLICANTS. WEEKLY. RANDOMLY. I have a strange feeling a very large percentage of benefits would be cancelled immediately.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Someone is lying on this board and on this subject. EVERYONE I know, and I am 65, went through at least 3 years of doctors and documents before they were approved for disability. FYI, not all disabilities are visual, for those without critical thinking skills.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: hammanderr

well....some native american customs the old and disabled would take their alst walk in the desert to die so as to not be a burden on their tribe, is that what you are suggesting? before social security, there were these things called extended families, where once mom and dad got to old to be able to care and support themselves, their kids were there to care for the, at least that's how it worked for most people. maybe we should go back to that.....but wait a minute...
our kids are living in our basements with huge college loans while making llow wages, or well, maybe we didn't have any to begin with, or well, maybe we sired a half of dozen of them all by different mummies and are strangers to all of them or paid much of anything in child support. which by the way, two of those circumstances could directly attribute to why social security is in trouble. can you guess which two???
as the gov't and business sector allows the wages to fall farther and farther behind the cost of living, this does two things....
first we aren't getting as much tax coming into the trust find as we did in times past...and the money that is being brought in is often times diverted to pay for the safety nets instead of left online.
and second, all this money that is being saved by the business sector by not paying that livable wage is instead going to the upper management and ceo in the form of salary increases and bonuses, or into "profits" to please the stockholders..... well, most of the upper management and ceo were making well above that cutoff for taxable income without the increase and "profits", and gains in investment are taxable income.... that money has gone into a black hole quite possibly lost to the social security tax forever!

Heck I wonder if maybe, just maybe if we were to see that limit on taxable income for social security if not only would we have a much better outlook for social security, but maybe start seeing the wages approaching closer to the cost of living!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

well, congratualations, you know one now....
got a letter from them yesterday....I am officially disabled! lol, but well because of my lack of medical records, I now get to wait another 5 months to get the full benefits....but well a little bit will help, maybe...

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Yep, more documents.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

well, it's their doctor that's saying I am disabled, so, by what I understand, I should qualify?? I have enough work experience at least, haven't earned anything all year. Don't know what kind of paperwork they would want..

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

So, what you're saying is, you can't believe that anyone could envision a society where people are expected to support themselves.

You're saying that having the government take US citizens money, forcibly, and giving it to anyone with a doctors note, is what should be happening.

You're amazed that anyone could imagine a country where people either worked and supported themselves or just had to go without.

So, who should work in this utopia you envision?

We have a structured society for a reason. If that's the case why have any taxes at all right? Of course your're the type that likes to dictate what the government should do with your money. Disability is an insurance that everybody pays into in case they get sick. Get rid of it and you'll have 11 million people living on the streets. But who cares right? as long as it's not coming out of your pocket. I bet you have no objections about Dubwa spending 2 trillion dollars on war. Particularly one that shouldn't have happened in the first place. Bush wanted to privatize social security and give it to his criminal buddies on Wall Street before the 2008 crash that would have been cute. After the crash his buddies would have sucked it all up for pennies on the dollar and that would have been the end of the program. I've been hearing since the 80's social security is going broke. BS maybe the government should keep their hand out of the cookie jar. I worked for 10 years and made close to $50k a year not once did I look at my check and think OMG they're robbing me in taxes. Not once did I look at the taxes being taken out and think poor people were ripping me off. I don't get the mentality at all.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join