It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Melissa Harris-Perry: Be 'super careful' about saying 'hard worker' because it demeans slaves

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Harris-Perry was interviewing guest Alfonso Aguilar, Executive Director of the American Principles Project's Latino Partnership, about Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.) and his fitness for the role of Speaker of the House.

“If there’s somebody who is a hard worker when he goes to Washington, it’s Paul Ryan,” Aguilar said.

While Harris-Perry agreed Ryan could make a good House Speaker, she had a problem with Aguilar’s word choice.

“[I] want us to be super careful when we use the language ‘hard worker,’” she cautioned. “Because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like.”

Harris-Perry continued, saying “in the context of relative privilege, I just want to point out, that when you talk about work-life balance and being a hard worker, the moms who don’t have health care who are working, we don’t call them hard workers. We call them failures, people who are sucking off the system. Really, y’all do! That’s really what you do!”

Aguilar countered: “This is very unfair. I feel that we cannot generalize about the Republican Party."

www.foxnews.com...

Amazing way to derail an interview. So there you have it be careful calling someone a hard worker, because it's racist, because of slavery.

Better put yourself a picture of some slaves on your desk so you can understand what hard work is, never mind what slavery is. At one point the PC crowd kinda had a point of we should respect others, then it went into full retard and looks like we ain't turning back.

Be SUPER CAREFUL!

edit on 27-10-2015 by Lysergic because: someone microagressed against me reeeaaalhard.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

So basically, white folks have been telling their kids to grow up and be slaves according to her.

It's no wonder so few blacks who study critical race theory make it in life if they think working hard means slavery.

It does not carry that context for whites. It just means do your job and do it well and eventually it will pay off. It's a simple formula and it works. And of course, that doesn't mean just "work you are paid or hired to do," for most households, that starts with in house chores, carries into school and education, translates to the practice fields or any extracurricular activities, etc. It means simply be the best at it you can be and constantly seek to find ways to improve and be better.

The sad thing is that we're slipping and the Asians are beating us at our game.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I laugh at her and her statement. I will say what I want when I want and all the better if she gets 'offended'. She is the kind of person I take pleasure in angering.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

I agree with her, most politicians don't know the meaning of hard work. They might work long hours sometimes but 99% of them don't know what it feels like to graft.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I laugh at her and her statement. I will say what I want when I want and all the better if she gets 'offended'. She is the kind of person I take pleasure in angering.
I agree and her lisp is very annoying also.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   
This whole invent censorship on the fly crap has gotta go. Is that the new thing, sabotage your own interview to spew out your rabid useless SJW rhetoric?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Actually the more I thought about it I feel like this:

I highly doubt her claims of having an "image" of slaves in a cotton field to remind her of hard work.

I think he said something, she didn't like the way it was going so she chose to censor him, discredit his statement by claims of racism then pandering to the stay at home mom.

GFY. You're the worst kind of person, you wouldn't want someone do this to you, yet you leap at your chance.

Go eat a shoe.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Wide-Eyes

If only they had an image, like her.

link   
MHP needs a gigantic cup of STFU....

Most of us are slaves these days. No... Not the same as back then so back off keyboard warriors.

Who among us doesn't have to work almost like a dog just to keep the power on and one or two "extras" here and there so it doesn't feel 100% like you are working to just survive?

We own our houses and property, but never really own them. They can be levied for many different reasons.

Our elderly can't afford their medicine AND food. Most of the time a lot of them have to choose.

So we are all a slave to something. The system, bills, taxes, etc. etc. etc.

If she wants to make a difference, why not address that instead of swooning at certain words she deems horrific.

link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Maybe post-shotgun Brittany since they are both brainless?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

That's true too, but you know Big Brother has all sorts of programs to help you out. Just give up, give in. Let Big Daddy Government make it all better for you ... stop working so hard.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'll take the Alpo first... Any other option is akin to selling your soul.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Lysergic

Maybe post-shotgun Brittany since they are both brainless?

As long as we get to watch on the live feed

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I've never liked MHP. In my opinion she is the epitome of the "caricature" created by the Right for Leftists and Progressives.

She should keep her opinions to herself.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
MSNBC is the bottom of the barrel and having their people say controversial things is no accident IMO. You have no viewers, you take whatever publicity you can get, be it positive or negative.

Her words serves their purpose just fine.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Wow.. MHP is brainier than Kurt Cobain's wall.

Slavery was a low point in our country's history however the manner in which it is twisted for political correctness is sad. This coming on the heels of the Obama administration representing 2 Muslim truck drivers fired for refusing to deliver alcohol (and winning) while going after Christians for asserting their religious beliefs.

The world has gone insane.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I am so glad FOX is the only MSM outlet that airs agenda driven propaganda.

Sarc/off

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I think she's being a drama queen about this. But it's her opinion, and I really don't care.

We all define "hard work" our own way. She can think it's one thing, and I'll think another. I'm sure the slaves in the cotton fields were working hard. The immigrants we have working in the fields now work just as hard. And someone sitting at a desk can work just as hard. It may not be PHYSICAL labor, but there's no shortage of hard working people around.

The guy saying that Paul Ryan (or anyone in congress) does "hard work" makes me wonder what would get done there if they were slacking off... Less than zero work?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
There needs to be a word to describe the behaviour of control freaks inventing nonsensical theories about language for the sake of imposing restrictions on other people.
I suggest SALT- standing for "Stupid artificial language theory".
Then whenever somebody comes up with a new one, there can be a mass chorus of "You're just SALTing again".

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Ah, remember, gridlock was supposed to be the natural state.

The only things that were supposed to get past the legislative gauntlet were things a clear majority could agree on.

Look around ATS and tell me how many things that is these days? Now consider that if these congress critters are actually doing their jobs, they are representing the views of a body of citizens as deeply divided as this forum. How much do you honestly think they are going to get done?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join