It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Johnny Depp planning to buy site of wounded knee massacre and gift it back to native Sioux

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Hope he actually goes through with it. More things like this need to be done. It's time the white man gives a little back to the natives of this land from which we took so much.

www.trueactivist.com...[ /url]

Here's another link to a native American website

[url=http://]http://nativenewsonline.net/currents/johnny-depp-serious-buying-wounded-knee/
edit on 27-10-2015 by seaswine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
This is my first attempt trying to link. It worked in my test run but second link doesn't seem to want to comply.. Help? Lol

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Here you go:

Link

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
This must be his apology for his roll of Tonto in the lone ranger. Ya know, hollywood doesn't have any native American actors.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Why would he apologies for a roll he was awesome in? You do know the Lone Ranger is made up story with fictional characters? Sure it takes place during a real period with real places but at the end of the day it's as real as waterworld.

The Lone Ranger could have been East Indian and Tonto Chinese for all I care as long as their acting was good.

Just one man's opinion

reply to: Bluntone22

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Why would he apologies for a roll he was awesome in? You do know the Lone Ranger is made up story with fictional characters? Sure it takes place during a real period with real places but at the end of the day it's as real as waterworld.

The Lone Ranger could have been East Indian and Tonto Chinese for all I care as long as their acting was good.

Actually it's based on a real man named Bass Reeves who was a officer of the law and lived with Native Americans. Oh yeah and he was a Black Man. He was a real life hero and very well respected too.

The REAL ‘Lone Ranger’ Was An African American Lawman Who Lived With Native American Indians

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos

Yeah, that. It sucked.

So Johnny should buy us all a plot of land as an apology.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: seaswine
I heard about this and I hope that he follows through with it. I saw a facebook post the other day which was more or less an open letter reminding him of it.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Yes tonto was a made up character. But the character was a Native American being played by a white man.
Your probably to young to remember Kung fu, a Chinese character played by a white man instead of Bruce lee.

I say somebody needs to apologize.

And for every Johnny deep movie like black mass, we get two like willy wonka and dark shadows.
Just another mans opinion.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

This has been alleged since at least 2013:

Wounded Knee for Sale: Still No Depp Deal, But Oglala Sioux Negotiating

After no word from Johnny Depp about buying Wounded Knee, Oglala Sioux Tribe President Bryan Brewer and three members of the Descendants of Wounded Knee met with James Czywczynski, the owner of the land, on July 14 hoping to come to some sort of agreement.

It would be nice if this were true but I think this was a possible deal which went south then became an urban legend. This makes it rounds about every six months or so unless there is new information in the OP article that I missed.

I hate to be a party pooper but I don't think this will ever happen.

Cheers.

ETA:

The dailymail link in the OP source article is from 2013.

Unfortunately there have been no developments.
edit on 27-10-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Johnny Depp is a Class Act, hope it works out, a good guitar player as well.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

Darn. Yea I mean if he could've done it he would've by now. At least One would think...

In any event, no matter who buys it I just hope it ends up in the hands it belongs.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Yea I was more or less talking about the television show and the Disney adaptations. You know cursed silver and a magic Native American who can turn into a crow.

Given either show gives zero mention of Bass Reeves I'll say that they weren't trying to portray that specific mans life in anyway.

a reply to: mOjOm

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Yea to young to have seen that movie in theatres that's for sure. I just can't wrap my head around why it's wrong.

I guess I never grew up with racism being instilled in my life being 24 years old. If a person can act why should we care about their colour. My community is also quite multicultural but had a violent history in the past between the Natives and Europeans, but when I went to school we all went to the same class room, read the same books ect as total equals and friends.

Yea your right I am just too young to care about colours.

a reply to: Bluntone22

edit on 27-10-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Did you read the link I provided??? The Lone Ranger Character was based on Bass Reeves. They obviously fictionalized it to various degrees over time but it was based on that guy and the things he did and his relationships because he was a real life legendary man of accomplishment at one time.

I'm not sure what Lone Ranger shows you watched but the ones I knew of when I was a kid didn't involve magic and people turning into crows. Nor was there cursed silver. The Lone Ranger was just a man as was Tonto.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Yea the TV series was well befor my time but I am familiar with the show have seen it once or twice didn't really make an impact wasn't really into the western theme. The new movie is filled with cursed silver did you even watch it? :p

I am kinda lost now though I am for any colour person portraying any other colour person. If their skill as an actor can allow them to portray that character more power to them. This is a problem why exactly?

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

In any event, no matter who buys it I just hope it ends up in the hands it belongs.

That's definitely the most important thing IMO my friend

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I tried watching the movie but thought it was stupid and not at all what the old version was like. It was better without all the BS additions. The Lone Ranger was originally about a Man and his Native American friend/brother who restored justice. No magic and BS. Just a man doing what was right.

My point was just that it wasn't just all fiction. It was loosely based on a real guy who was a great man.

I don't have a problem with the race thing. If Johnny Depp wants to play a Native American that's up to him I suppose. After all the real Lone Ranger was a Black Man and that was changed too, so why break tradition I guess.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Yea I didn't even know about the original Lone Ranger being a black man and I think that most interesting thanks for enlightening me to that.

I am sure we have lots of common ground on the topic just had a little bump at the start is all.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Yea Daily Mail ran this story first.

In 2013.

So...good luck and all that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join