It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solar-powered water-wheel is cleaning baltimores inner harbor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
its water AND solar powered

NBCNEWS.COM
John Kellett's incredible invention which was installed earlier this year has already pulled thousands of pounds of trash out of Baltimore's Inner Harbor and could be the solution for cleaning trash pollution in waterways around the world.

Came across this nugget and wanted to share,
its powered by the flow of the river and solar panels and is super simple.

A fleet of these buggers and a recycling plant on a larger ocean platform or ship may even put a dent in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

But seriously Baltimore, the river shouldnt be used as a garbage can.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
That is one of the best good news stories I have seen in a long time. The simplest ideas are often the best!

I'd love to see these everywhere.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The city is just too lazy to hire some real people to do the work.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Well actually.............

Here in South Australia they have a 10 cent refund for plastic and glass drink bottles. It is incredible and true, but you NEVER see discarded plastic bottles anywhere. The poor collect them and use them as a source of income and as a secondary effect, they collect the other rubbish as well. They go through rubbish bins and take the bottles and then dump the trash they collect at the same time.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

Well actually.............

Here in South Australia they have a 10 cent refund for plastic and glass drink bottles. It is incredible and true, but you NEVER see discarded plastic bottles anywhere. The poor collect them and use them as a source of income and as a secondary effect, they collect the other rubbish as well. They go through rubbish bins and take the bottles and then dump the trash they collect at the same time.

I know right!
A few people could scoop that garbage up in no time.
In fact most cities are too cheap to hire people to clean up the cities for example mass garbage clean ups.
People need jobs, cleaning up the cities should be a job that anyone could do.
I sense a conspiricy in the works. . . .

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: dashen

It is good tech and fairly simple and economical. It could be developed into permanent fixtures for bays and rivers and I would support that.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord
The city is just too lazy to hire some real people to do the work.

It would be the cost. Remember that joke:

A small town once wanted to hire a janitor to maintain a workyard. After consulting with the necessary authorities, they realized that they would need a supervisor, and a supervisor would also need to be superintendent. Since they had more than three employees, they would also need a director, and the director would require a personal assistant. Since there were more than five employees, they would also need an HR manager, an equal opportunities/affirmative action officer, an accountant to handle pensions and a lawyer to handle contracts. It was soon discovered that the town had exceed their budget for that year, and that cutbacks would have to be made. So they fired the janitor.
edit on 22-10-2015 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Amazing piece of kit. Would love one of these to clean up our harbour. We also have a river flowing round the outskirts of our town and it's filled with basically every imaginable source of junk. There is a shopping trolley lying next to it which provides a good insight into the rivers contents.

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

AWESOME go SOLAR !!!!

i just add my favourites... i am packed with aluminium foil up till my neck.. end of the world here i come so want to try to build a solar oven

solar water pump and purifier

i dont know what this is iphone charger ?

top topics

join