It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sunscreen is killing coral reefs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
today.ucf.edu...

A common sunscreen ingredient, oxybenzone has been linked to killing coral reefs and damaging their DNA a team if scientists has concluded. Also oxybenzone is suspected to possibly cause tumors on humans.

I've known for years that oxybenzone is bad stuff and I try to avoid and use zinc oxide based sunscreen instead. I also have suspected that there was more to the bleaching of our reefs than AGW.

Many sunscreen companies offer oxybenzone free sunblock, however it is one of the main ingredients in the majority of sunscreen on the market.

This information needs to get out, and the sunscreen manufacturers need to be pressured by us, the consumers to stop using oxybenzone in their product.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

I didn't know about this ingredient, so thanks for posting! I will be sure to buy a zinc oxide based sunscreen in the future and let others know! Some friends are traveling to Tahiti and I will send them this link, with another article on reef-safe sunscreens. www.padi.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Thank you for spreading this knowledge. I'll be sharing this information on Social Media. Thank you again! Get the word out!

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
today.ucf.edu...

A common sunscreen ingredient, oxybenzone has been linked to killing coral reefs and damaging their DNA a team if scientists has concluded. Also oxybenzone is suspected to possibly cause tumors on humans.

I've known for years that oxybenzone is bad stuff and I try to avoid and use zinc oxide based sunscreen instead. I also have suspected that there was more to the bleaching of our reefs than AGW.

Many sunscreen companies offer oxybenzone free sunblock, however it is one of the main ingredients in the majority of sunscreen on the market.

This information needs to get out, and the sunscreen manufacturers need to be pressured by us, the consumers to stop using oxybenzone in their product.

I've been hearing for a while that oxybenzone can cause problems so decided to do some digging earlier this year. Unfortunately it doesn't cause problems.

Part of this this page says
" “Available peer-reviewed scientific literature and regulatory assessments from national and international bodies do not support a link between oxybenzone in sunscreen and hormonal alterations, or other significant health issues in humans,” stated Dr. Siegel."

But, from other sources I have found that oxybenzone and other chemicals in sunscreen cause what's called "bleaching" to the corals, which, will make them die as they can't absorb certain uv rays they need to survive.

So in conclusion:-

Your thread is correct that sunscreen is having an adverse effect on corals.

The information about oxybenzone you have stated is incorrect and frankly irrelevant.

Edit: the best looking solution would be oxybenzone free sunscreen. It's available, just not as much as "normal" sunscreen. And it's green instead of white or cream coloured.
edit on 210821/10/1515 by TerryDon79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryDon79

Not sure what to say here. Many of us who live in the tropics will tell you that oxybenzone does cause problems in humans too.

Even dermatologists, especially those will live in the tropics will tell you oxybenzone does cause skin problems.

Also oxybenzone free sunscreen is still white and goes on clear, really not sure where you get the 'green' from.

articles.mercola.com...
edit on 21-10-2015 by jrod because: link

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Greetings and Salutations- I appreciate You taking Your most 'valuable asset' (time) and sharing this info with Us, the 'other Yous'...

I HAD blotches of skin cancer back in 2003 to go along with another cancer on the top of My lungs. There was a 'grouping' on My left arm, the arm I'd hang out of the patrol car while on patrol and then My 'free time' was playing golf. It was the latter part of 2003 that I was told I had 18-24 months to "Live". So I did what anyOne in My shoes would do, I packed up My crap in Ca. and sold My 1292 sq.ft. home for $445k after paying $169k, and moved to Flori-Duh so I could 'die' amongst folks I didn't KNOW. I also couldn't/wouldn't put My Mother/Father through that...

I then started doing meditation and this led Me to "Ayurveda" My cancers are gone, along with the 5 Rx meds that came along with the treatments. I no longer have woes w/My PTSD and the skin cancer has 'disappeared'.. I now use Coconut Oil wherever I'm exposed to Sol. In My ears, eyes, nose, everywhere, with the added bonus of dog kisses all day/night.

Because alcohol is also one of the main ingredients of sunscreen, it dries out the skin, so the folks who are already de-hydrated get even more de-hydrated due to the water leaving the skin. Coconut Oil will keep You hydrated and science is also proving the Coconut oil is productive against Alzheimer's for those who operate a cell phone and/or microwave their foods...

It should also be noted that due to My back/neck injuries, I had to finally retire from Golf w/a FSGA h'cap of 1.7 and 7 Holes-In-One. I did move from the Country Club to a waterfront home and bought a bass boat. I apply My daily Coconut Oil and go fishing and My skin has never been so smooth...

The point is: If it worked for Me, hypertension; cancer(s); high cholesterol; PTSD and 2 opiates for back/neck I'd 'guess' it 'may' work for You too.. Plus BigPHarma™ has nothing to do with it...

"It puts the oil on" and

Stay Hydrated My Friend.

namaste

P.S. I just 'may' outlive the 3 different Dr.s who told Me I was going to be gone 10 years ago.. So the rest is "gravy"...

••• Your Mileage May Vary •••

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Thanks, my Wife and children will be notified about the sunscreen.

edit on 10 27 2013 by donktheclown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
While I have been aware of the damage traditional sunscreens have and continue to do to Oceanic environments, it isn't something publicized much in the U.S. Mainly because we don't care about the environment, and a push for using "reef safe" sun screens would be decried as "anti-Capitalism" or "part of the liberal agenda".

Many of the reef areas Mexican Riviera and Cancun are protected and only reef friendly sunscreen can be used. In fact, at the various eco-parks, your bags are searched and if you have non-biodegradable sunscreen, it is confiscated prior to your entry to the park.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

The coral damage aside, I looked into the history of sunscreen and skin cancer a while back, and there is a damn-near exact correlation with the introduction of modern sunscreen and the increase in diagnosed skin cancer.

Does the correlation mean causation? Maybe, maybe not, but I'm certain that a lot of the rise in skin cancer is because people misuse the product and stay out in the sun too long, thinking that they're protected.

I shave my head (well, about 2/3 of it...nature took the rest), and I avoid sunscreen except for in the most extreme circumstances, like if I'll be outside all day and can't wear long clothes because of temperature. And this is because of research both my wife and I have done into the ingredients in sunscreen. I'll take my chances with my body's natural defenses against the sun...plus, I like vitamin D production in my body, and blocking UV rays inhibits that.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

My friend...why not just use coconut oil? I own an organic farm mostly worked by hand and all we use is coconut oil . Not a sunburn amongst us.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Mexico is being proactive with its tourists by only offering all natural zinc based sunscreen quite a few tourest hot spots like Xel'ha for example.

Nothing however in legal terms in stopping anyone from using there own products from home.It doesn't help that sunscreen in Mexico is like 30$ a bottle US.

Xel'ha is a place of breath taking buity. For anyone who hasn't been there it's a crystal clear underground river system that surfaced in the middle of a mangrove covered delta like area. The water is crystal clear even in the mangroves which tunnles woven threw for your swimming pleasure. Thousands of fresh water fish everywhere this twists threw the jungle until it comes to a pretty big sheltered ocean bay.

Here you can find a staggering amount of beautiful ocean fish. Everything from tangs,angles,queen parrot fish,pikes,barracudas, grouper you name it all hanging out in the bay with fresh water fish it's amazing how many species don't mind the brankish water.

Sorry to digress but it's places like this that suffer from the chemicals in many products because so many people visit each day.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Agree with everything you said. Xel-Ha is exactly the type of park I was referring to. I just couldn't remember the name off hand. We vacation in Playa del Carmen almost every year.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: usernameconspiracy

oxybenzone in sunscreen also disrupts the bodys' hormones...I use the old fashion titanium dioxide,but, does coconut oil really work??

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

Yes sir for thousands of years...equivalent to spf 15 more or less...untoasted sesame oil darn near spf 30....thousands of years of empiricism can't be wrong

top topics

join