It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The vastness of the universe - getting lost in thought.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

That's more like saying..anything can be broken down to an infinite amount of pieces, including any number, part of a number, and infinity itself, which is true, I mean there is infinite decimals between the numbers 1-2 but that never does cause us to say 1 is equal to 2, just because the decimal points in between can go on forever.

Of course, we can't interact with something infinite, nor would we assume anything could. I suppose it might offends ones religion but there's no reason to assume a God could interact with infinity, either. Because even if you could mentally and spiritually interact with a googolplex light years of space in just seconds, forever, that God would still be interacting with no true amount of space, as nothing ever could. Of course this assumption is being made by a human mind and I cannot posit it as true for all minds but still..

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Let's say the big bang was how the universe came about. All I'm doing is assuming that big bangs happen all over the place - the bag is only something to wrap our mind around. We could say words, like within trillions of light years, there are thousands of big bangs both old and new, but the words are only so we can depict some large amount of space which is equivalent to nothing, no matter how big a number we depict. I'm saying you can't ever reach the bag, there's always more another however many light years away.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

Yeah, the lack of understanding is probably nearly the same in all of us, truth be told. Searching for answers or understanding what may be within close quarters to us does fascinate us, but the universe or whatever we want to call it that I'm talking about could likely never be understood. Not unless we have a spirit, or some type of faculty that can interact with vastly more space than we could ever see or assume exists. I happen to believe we do have a soul, or spirit, in which can gain access into understanding the universe - because I still believe there's patterns, that we could understand what's contained within infinity, even if we can't ever interact with infinity.

I actually go further, and believe the universe has a will, has a form of consciousness, but without a body, no restrictions. Somehow.. I'd imagine that will, to be the way a normal spirit is granted the power of being a God. But that's getting just a bit deep xD

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

...Do we have a spirit, a soul, or some part of our mind that can tap into this infinite place we live?
Why do so many of us question what is out there? And within my assumption of an infinite universe, wouldn't it be guaranteed there is something higher than us out there?

Whether it's aliens, other humans, spirits,consciousness, God's, or anything else.. I personally can't imagine the answer being "no"...

Can we, have we interacted with them/it?

Yes, after all i believe that either we on earth can tap into our earths collective consciousness or maybe sthg even bigger.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

If you want to meditate and do not know anything about it, don't worry it is simple. Find for yourself half an hour of free time, turn off the phone and sit comfortably. Only thing important while sitting is that your spine is strait.

Then all you have to do is ... not a thing
try to be still like a tree and your mind clear. For beginners it is advised that there is some object of focus due to the wandering mind. When you notice that mind started to wander just bring it back to the object. This can be internal or external whatever you prefer. My object was and still is the breath.

Meditation is prolonging the time between thoughts in a nutshell. When one thought ends and new one begins there is silence.

And silence is golden

Length of meditation is not important what is important is quality. So do it as long as you feel is right for you.

This should be enough to get you started. Then if you will like it or have some wired feeling or experience I suggest further research or create a thread here, haha

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: UniFinity
Here is a nice little video (5 mins) about recognizing the silence within.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
This post is a little off from the topic and I apologize for that. But considering that I already talked about meditation in this thread, then what I posted here should be the final goal of meditation (so it is connected, a bit
), where no meditation is necessary because you are in that state all the time.

a reply to: Itisnowagain

Thanks. Nice video and explanation.
I am a minor fan of yours
, at least I watch your videos when you post them and read a lot of what you have to say about your/this version of advaita vedanta philosophy in other threads. And you have helped me to better understand some things with your writings and videos! ... Oh now I have the opportunity to thank you for that also! Thank you!

I agree that once you start to be aware of awareness is great but I fell there is more to it than that. Although this is an important step once this recognition is achieved. I do not feel sat-chit-ananda from any of those speakers you post. They seem to me like their normal ego is still present to some small degree. Although I am not saying they are fake, far from it. Just that there is more to final self-realization than that.
With meditation I once achieved for a short time samadhi and that was different level of awareness from what we are talking about here. And from what I am informed this silence which we feel should go away at the final level and our individuality completely dissolves. This is an example of what I am thinking:
plumvillage.org...

edit on 14454506461004October0410043115 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: UniFinity
With meditation I once achieved for a short time samadhi and that was different level of awareness from what we are talking about here. And from what I am informed this silence which we feel should go away at the final level and our individuality completely dissolves.

It's good to hear that you watch and appreciate the videos. Thank you.

Why should the silence go away? The silence is what everything is made of - all arises out of and subsides back to nothing.

Can you tell me what you think they would be like with no 'individuality'? What is expected?
All that appears is unique so every apparent body/mind will be unique and every expression of this subject will be expressed in a unique way.
edit on 21-10-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Definitely a fun read, it sums up what most intellectuals think about on a basic level.

In my opinion the universe is not literally infinite, but just very large.

You pretty much sum up my thoughts. Though the current state of my opinions are sporadic and generally unorganized.

I want to learn so much about so many different things, and connect them to eachother.

It's hard to chase these thoughts without the means to actually test, observe, and confirm.

edit on 21-10-2015 by DeadCat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Thank you, I'll have to do that!

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadCat

Trying to think about it on a more advanced level just takes more and more time because you can go bigger and bigger, but also smaller and smaller. To truly understand how even one quark, or theoretically a string works, might give us the answer to so much more, because patterns seem to exist everywhere. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Maybe understanding the basics doesn't help with understanding the larger concepts.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: PhoenixOD

That's more like saying..anything can be broken down to an infinite amount of pieces, including any number, part of a number, and infinity itself, which is true, I mean there is infinite decimals between the numbers 1-2 but that never does cause us to say 1 is equal to 2, just because the decimal points in between can go on forever.

Of course, we can't interact with something infinite, nor would we assume anything could. I suppose it might offends ones religion but there's no reason to assume a God could interact with infinity, either. Because even if you could mentally and spiritually interact with a googolplex light years of space in just seconds, forever, that God would still be interacting with no true amount of space, as nothing ever could. Of course this assumption is being made by a human mind and I cannot posit it as true for all minds but still..

No thats not at all what it is saying. But dont worry Cantor was one of the greatest mathematicians that ever lived and he went totally mad trying to understand it.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

The feeling that I am silent, should go away. The I is the issue, silence is ok

From what I read on this subject, when final self-realization happens. You then have totally different prospective and are aware of the ALL and that ALL is everywhere - within and without. ALL in this case = tao, brahma, conciousness, the mind,...

Once you merge completely with your real self old mystic, Buddhist,... describe that you are on the other side of the spectrum - ego dissolved completely. Like salt dissolves into the water. And this brings sat-chit-ananda = Eternal Consciousness Bliss.

But my words are not good enough explanation, for anyone interested in this I recommend this - Buddhist Diamond sutra . what Buddha was teaching his disciples:
www.diamond-sutra.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

The feeling that I am silent, should go away. The I is the issue, silence is ok

From what I read on this subject, when final self-realization happens. You then have totally different prospective and are aware of the ALL and that ALL is everywhere - within and without. ALL in this case = tao, brahma, conciousness, the mind,...
When you realize what you really are, it is just the perspective which changes - you see from a different place - or rather - you realize where you are seeing from. Prior to realization, you might assume there is a within and a without - the assumption is that you are the body and what is in the body, including all thoughts and sensation and the skin is what divides what is within and what is without - you feel separate from the outside. But when you realize what you really are; all that is arising, that is everything that appears (sensation, thoughts, feelings, colours, sounds, shapes and patterns - everything) is just appearing, just happening - you are not doing any of it BUT you are the aware space in which it all takes place. ALL that happens is just happening and you are nothing but a witness.

Once you merge completely with your real self old mystic, Buddhist,... describe that you are on the other side of the spectrum - ego dissolved completely. Like salt dissolves into the water. And this brings sat-chit-ananda = Eternal Consciousness Bliss.

If there is a belief that you are just a person, an entity, a thing then there will be a need to fill yourself up, get things and use others to your advantage - the individual looks at the world with the eyes of a business man. But if you realize that you are not a thing - you will be full of what is already - this that always is. There is no seeking to get more or be better because what actually is is all there is - including thoughts which tell you there is something other and if believed there will be a sense of lack and the seeking mind will keep presenting you with what is missing. What is missing?
The mind tells you what is missing now and the mind tells you what you should of done and should do but what is aware of all of that?
You cannot merge with the real self - you have never been anything but the real self but you believed you were some thing that you are not.

No words are good at pointing to what really is - words and language may well have a big part to play in the seeming division - prior to around 18 months old there was a sense wholeness which is lost and every apparent individual seeks to find it again. At that age we are told that it is us that does things and that it is us that have to be good and not bad - we then try (seek) to be some thing - good and not bad - then when being an adult there is an obsession with how I should be, how I will act and how I acted - obsession with the one 'within'.

The Myth of Within.

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

nice post!

you did a wonderful job describing this but it must be felt to fully understand. But I think that there is more to it than that.
For instance in Tibetan Buddhism, there is a rainbow body which is supposedly the final stage and other schools of Buddhism are also describing many things about energy and subtle body and also of other bodies which are apart of us.

During the meditation I can fell all of the major energy/chakra points and sometimes even have visions when I focus on different chakra points. This seems to me that there is another deeper aspect to self-realization. Where you can consciously control and is aware what is going inside the body in context of energy. You get full understanding and no questions remains to be answered.

Because of this aspect I feel that the people in your videos although have achieved a major stage, but not the complete final stage. I have never hear anyone debating this aspect of us. And I have a feeling that they are unaware of this. Because when you have understanding of this than you have transcend human limits and can preform "miracles".

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 14455220251053October5310533115 by UniFinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

nice post!

you did a wonderful job describing this but it must be felt to fully understand. But I think that there is more to it than that.
For instance in Tibetan Buddhism, there is a rainbow body which is supposedly the final stage and other schools of Buddhism are also describing many things about energy and subtle body and also of other bodies which are apart of us.

No bodies are apart from you - you are what everything appears out of and dissolves back into.
Think of a tv screen - the screen when full of moving image is like a rainbow body - no movie can have apparent existence without the screen being present.
You are like the screen on which the movie (Maya/Lila) plays - the moving image that appears is not made of anything other than the screen.

During the meditation I can fell all of the major energy/chakra points and sometimes even have visions when I focus on different chakra points. This seems to me that there is another deeper aspect to self-realization. Where you can consciously control and is aware what is going inside the body in context of energy. You get full understanding and no questions remains to be answered.

You cannot consciously control - that is the point - there is no one who can do - all is done and you just watch the show.
The issue is that there is a belief that you can control - you can't - the character you think you are is not what you are!

edit on 22-10-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Because when you have understanding of this than you have transcend human limits and can preform "miracles".

It seems that you have an understanding that there is something special to get. It is not special, it is extraordinary, extremely ordinary - no one would ever want it!!!

posted on Oct, 22 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Check out Journe y of Souls and Destin y of Souls by Michael Newton.

Those books contain accounts of revelations in hypnosis of the lives of people in the spirit world. I've read both and the information provided from his various patients remains remarkably consistent throughout, and it paints a very reassuring portrait of the "afterlife" that you might find comforting.

There's no real punishments--just love and compassion and forgiveness and understanding... and there's definitely something more for you waiting (and arguably something much better!) when this life ends.

Cheers!

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Warning long wired post ahead. Since you bothered to explained your view, I have done the same. But I respect your view and even agree with it on some levels and on some not so much.

yup, what you write about is pretty much clear to me. But it seems to me like it is just intellectual understanding and because of that it is only imagining of how the "system" works and imagined knowledge of who am I. But actually being and living the true I-without I is different matter for tibetan Buddhist, yogis, saints or others. It is above all boundaries, imaginations, words, forms. It is just a feeling of bliss, conciousness, being and that is it sat-chit-ananda, which comes with the turya state. Where you are aware even in deep sleep. This is how they describe it in a nutshell.

So for me intellectual understanding is not good enough. Now let me explain why.

If what you say is true, and I belief it is. This is that we are all one. All from the same source. We can call it brahman, conciousness, the mind, atman, god, tao,...whatsoever you like. It makes no difference because it is a thing which needs to be experienced and then this state of self-realization must be maintained and never let go off. Until you get this experience all talk is just pure imagination. And this is where I am at. Just imagination, I don't know anything for absolute truth only the stuff which I have read or heard or meditated and got information through intuition but who knows how much of it is true or not. The truth must be experienced and once you get so far, you can prove it to yourself or others without a doubt - that is why religions were so successful - true saint were the beginning of every one but soon after normal people just perverted the teaching (some knowingly some not) and today we are left mostly with a sorry excuse for a religion!

If we take your allegory of the screen. In my opinion you are not only the screen, but everything which is happening in the screen also. So you are the screen, the players, the background,everything...all is one. This goes far beyond our concepts and senses. Our senses, bodies and imagination are just here to confuse us and until we drop absolutely forever ALL our concepts of body and mind we cannot grasp or SEE the tao aka. get the self-realization experience.

Once that happens than everything is clear to you. And I am not over reaching when I say everything. First you get complete intuitive understanding of who am I. Not just the intellectual, but all the previous experiences or lives which you lived through. Workings of karma, thoughts, reincarnation, mastery over elements, prana, total self control, knowledge of the past or future, etc...

But this is all just mental knowledge and it is hard to see when one is walking the talk OR bull# so for me the BEST indicator of self realization is how animals are behaving around such a being. Any wild animal will not attack you because it feels intuitively the peace or pure nature within. This was and is noticed around every true saint who lived. All animals loves them and the saint loves them back!

Fear is what is essentially holding us back. When we become completely fearless. And to get to a state without fear you have to clear all the doubts. And the doubts arise only due to confusion that we are the body/mind.

And no I do not think of it as anything special. It is the MOST natural thing there is and that is why it is so hard to figure it out. Because we are far far from natural. But when you get to IT, than you are finished you are ONE.

So I agree with you in a way but as you can see, for me there is a lot more to it, than just being without a selfish thoughts and going about your life accepting everything as is. We have a choice and free will we are not just the screen, we are one.

The Tao that can be spoken is not the eternal Tao
The name that can be named is not the eternal name
The nameless is the origin of Heaven and Earth
The named is the mother of myriad things

Thus, constantly free of desire
One observes its wonders
Constantly filled with desire
One observes its manifestations

These two emerge together but differ in name
The unity is said to be the mystery
Mystery of mysteries, the door to all wonders

posted on Oct, 23 2015 @ 05:37 AM
link   

So for me intellectual understanding is not good enough.

What is it that you are hoping to get? Bliss? Bliss happens and so does everything else - if you want wholeness you have to have everything not just have certain particular things. A peace that surpasses all understanding - the final resting place that is sought is found, I see 'bliss' as an experience, all is passing - what's the problem when nothing sticks?

It makes no difference because it is a thing which needs to be experienced and then this state of self-realization must be maintained and never let go off.

When awakening occurs it is lost as soon as there appears to be someone trying to maintain it - it is the 'someone' who has to drop away for awakening to occur. Trying to figure it out is 'seeking' - it is the 'seeking energy' which has to stop for 'what is' to be seen without 'what could be or should be or shouldn't be' or 'this can't be it'.

If we take your allegory of the screen. In my opinion you are not only the screen, but everything which is happening in the screen also. So you are the screen, the players, the background, everything...all is one.

Yes - the moving image that is appearing right here and right now (which is always and everywhere) is not made of anything other than the screen - it includes all sensation and all words arising (thoughts) - all stories that speak of something other than this - everything. It (you/the screen of awareness/this) is the unconditional space that allows existence to appear to exist - you are not a separate thing, you are the entire thing. It is not that 'we' are all one - there is just what there is. This!
Out of the screen appears what there is to be experienced - in a way you are seeing your own manifestation and for a while you will forget that you are the whole thing - the dreamer and the dream - instead you will feel as if you are a person in the dream - until you awaken to the dream.

But it is impossible - the separate me (seeking energy) will try to understand and that is the division - there is just confusion or frustration or getting it - it is not 'you' who is 'confused' or 'you' that is 'seeking'- that makes two. There is clarity or confusion but no one has either of these things - there are no things - there is simply what is happening. Dreaming.

edit on 23-10-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join