It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concerns raised over lack of diversity in SF school election results

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Great lesson for the kids, elections don't count unless the "right" (skin toned) people win. So why participate if you have the wrong skin tone? This Political Correctness insanity is getting ridiculous. Elections are not good if the "results" are not "diverse" enough. The principle is teaching them to be "Agents of Change"... LOL

Change to bigots and racists is more like it. Social Justice is just "sanctioned" bigotry and racism against another group.

www.ktvu.com...

SAN FRANCISCO (KTVU) - There’s a bit of controversy surrounding student elections at a San Francisco middle school after the results were immediately withheld by the principal because they weren’t diverse enough.

The incident happened at Everett Middle School in San Francisco’s Mission District. The voting was held Oct. 10, but the principal sent an email to parents on Oct. 14 saying the results would not be released because the candidates that were elected as a whole do not represents the diversity that exists at the school.

Parent Bianca Gutierrez said the experience has made her son, a 7th grader, rethink his run for class representative. She said he is discouraged and does not want to be a part of the process anymore.

“That should have been something [discussed] prior to elections and prior to the campaigning process,” Gutierrez said.

According to Principal Lena Van Haren, Everett Middle School has a diverse student body. She said 80 percent of students are students of color and 20 percent are white, but the election results did not represent the entire study body.

“That is concerning to me because as principal I want to make sure all voices are heard from all backgrounds,” Van Haren said.

Van Haren said her vision for students for them to not only be academically successful, but to be agents of change. She called a meeting with all the student candidates and administration on Wednesday to talk about the best way to move forward.

“We’re not nullifying the election, we’re not cancelling the election and we’re not saying this didn’t count,” Van Haren said.

The email went on to say they were thinking of ways to value the students who won, while increasing the diversity of the group.

edit on 20-10-2015 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

There's not enough money in the world to get me to live in San Fruitcisco.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I read this yesterday and was going to post and TOTALLY forgot about it

The School has even admitted that everyone voted and every vote was taken into account......

The SCHOOL just didnt like the results

Perfectly illustrated synopsis of progressive think in our gov, and indeed society today

PC bs has made the US collectively lose its marbles
edit on 10/20/2015 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
So the kids vote and pick who they want, then those in charge say their decisions sucked basically...

Sounds about like the presidential elections. Maybe the school needs an electoral college just to make sure everything goes the way it's supposed to and screw the "popular vote" if need be.

edit on 10/20/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

If 80% of the school population is not white, and whites got elected, then wouldn't that mean that a majority of non-white students voted for white students?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This reminds of the South Park where they held an election in Ike's kindergarten and forced a recount umpteen bajillion times.

I heard this story on the morning drive the other day and thought it sounded ridiculous.

So long as interfering idiots like this woman pull stunts like this, we will always have racism. In general, kids don't really care all that much, and I thought that was how it should be.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I'm sure they would be equally upset if there were not enough white kids elected.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

If 80% of the school population is not white, and whites got elected, then wouldn't that mean that a majority of non-white students voted for white students?

Or the other way around. Either way, their lesson is "not authorized" unless the result is what we want.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Unreal.

Who were the kids that ran? Were they diverse? Hard to have diversity if only a certain segment of the student body is interested...

God, this is so *bleepin'* stupid.

Political Correctness run amuk. You couldn't pay me enough (well, actually you could...but it'd be a lot.) to live in SF.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

agents of change...

How about we worry about them being able to read? Write a coherent sentence? Add, subtract, multiply, and divide? Know a little something about science and history? Y'know important stuff that will enable them to be "agents of change" later in life, like when they're adults, and can make up their own minds on stuff like diversity.

Agent of change...

Whatta crock of "stuff".

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

and wouldnt this mean that they dont care about race or creed? Isnt this what we want?

Talk about institutionalized racism, thats exactly what this is doing, promoting color as a deciding factor , despite the actual results

Its ironic to watch how the PC have turned into exactly who they are fighting against

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well this woman is clearly not helping anyone's cause. These school stories are always popular click bait because of course, they involve children but let's keep in mind that according to the BLS in 2012, there were approximately 231,500 school principals in the US.

So what exactly does this prove aside from the fact that one school principal made a bad decision?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Would seem so to me...

Seems that this is exactly what "we" want, isn't it? A color blind society.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
I read this yesterday and was going to post and TOTALLY forgot about it

The School has even admitted that everyone voted and every vote was taken into account......

The SCHOOL just didnt like the results

Perfectly illustrated synopsis of progressive think in our gov, and indeed society today

PC bs has made the US collectively lose its marbles

Progressives are used to fixing elections. Apparently they don't care who knows it now.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I was once a branch secretary for a union when we had an election imminent for an important area post. We were instructed to put forward our choice for the post with the strict instruction that the candidate had to be non-white as there was not enough ethnic diversity on the area panel. This happens all the while in all areas of power. whether it's a school council or government it makes no difference.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

It appears as though the kids voted for the person who would best represent them.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
So the kids vote and pick who they want, then those in charge say their decisions sucked basically...

Sounds about like the presidential elections. Maybe the school needs an electoral college just to make sure everything goes the way it's supposed to and screw the "popular vote" if need be.

I see it much the same way.

Its really just preparing them for the 'real world.' In that respect, its good for them to learn which types of hypocrisy are acceptable, and which ones are not. Even if I do feel its a massive problem..

Ideally, they would witness how big of a problem such social inconsistency causes.. but they are more likely to perpetuate it.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
a reply to: DBCowboy

Would seem so to me...

Seems that this is exactly what "we" want, isn't it? A color blind society.

I was under the impression that we were to raise our children based on content of character instead of color of skin.

Funny how the kids voted. Maybe they listened to the platform and the message instead of just voting based on appearances. And that is what upset the principal?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
Well this woman is clearly not helping anyone's cause. These school stories are always popular click bait because of course, they involve children but let's keep in mind that according to the BLS in 2012, there were approximately 231,500 school principals in the US.

So what exactly does this prove aside from the fact that one school principal made a bad decision?

Yes they involve children and clear indoctrination of practices that are progressive

Its not that its ONE teacher, obviously the school board agrees or it wouldnt have been upheld

And lets not for get that this isnt the ONLY case of clearly progressive PC bullcrap happening in schools

I recall quite a lot of children being expelled or suspended for "finger guns" drawings of guns, and even food being eaten that looked like a gun

Stop playing like things like this are isolated incidents, something comes out damn near every week where some schools progressive policies end up costing the students

Cognitive Dissonance , is what I see in your post

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

It's like the principal missed the entire point of an election isn't it?

How can you have an election if the "result" has to always reflect a perfect proportion of the population?

If your population is 80% red, 11% blue, 6% purple and 3% green, you can't always expect that your elected representative body is always going to 80% red, 11% blue, 6% purple and 3% green too. There might be an enormous number of popular greens in some years, no likeable reds, or you might have a year where everyone likes the blues (or any of the colors really) with just a smattering of the other colors combined.

What it comes down to is who the others like and want to vote for more than what those people look like.

And if there is be an actual election, that's the lesson this woman needs to learn.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join