It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bizarre star - Could be sign of Alien Life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Not everyday you see the BBC put a story like that on the front page of their website.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Unusual light patterns created by a distant star may be a sign of alien life, scientists say.
The "bizarre" patterns are consistent with a "swarm of megastructures" in orbit, Jason Wright, an astronomer from Penn State University says.
He is set to publish his theory that these structures may indicate an "alien civilisation".
"We'd never seen anything like this star," says Tabetha Boyajian, a researcher at Yale told The Atlantic.
"It was really weird. We thought it might be bad data or movement on the spacecraft, but everything checked out."

Wouldn't this structure have to be huge to be able to detect? Either natural or artificial it's sure to be fascinating.

edit on 15/10/15 by Grenade because: URL Malfunction

edit on 15/10/15 by Grenade because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
This has been posted like 4 times in the last 2 days, does no one use the search bar anymore?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Grenade

I've seen people claiming some sort of Dyson structure - a ring maybe, but I think it's far more likely this is due to some kind of odd but natural event. After all, if this is an artificial structure, let's be realistic. This is a civilization that almost certainly knows about us and has done ... what about it? Nothing. Not exactly off to a great start there.

The reality would be that with the ability to build something that far beyond us, we should prefer them to be indifferent because if they were benevolent, don't you think they would have said something by now?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776
This has been posted like 4 times in the last 2 days, does no one use the search bar anymore?

Ha ha, I love those types of replies. Have you tried using it?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978
Yes, what's your point?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantumgamer1776

Has anyone in the history of ever actually used the search bar?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I've seen people claiming some sort of Dyson structure - a ring maybe, but I think it's far more likely this is due to some kind of odd but natural event. After all, if this is an artificial structure, let's be realistic. This is a civilization that almost certainly knows about us and has done ... what about it? Nothing. Not exactly off to a great start there.

The reality would be that with the ability to build something that far beyond us, we should prefer them to be indifferent because if they were benevolent, don't you think they would have said something by now?

Why would a type 2 civilization want to have anything to do with us? Most likely there is life all over the place. Probably more interesting then "the primates on the blue planet". Also, at the same time, What makes you think they haven't tried to talk to us? World governments are full of secrecy, who knows.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Sounds more like a Dyson Ring or Ringworld. The actual habitable zone was a ring the size of a planetary orbit, but there was a secondary set of several hundred shutters that were spaced apart so that they would create the effect of day and night.

Take it to the next stage, and there is the Dyson sphere, where the entire star is contained by a sphere of solar panels.

Of course, it could be somewhere in between and that would be a partially constructed Dyson sphere.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran

Why would a type 2 civilization want to have anything to do with us? Most likely there is life all over the place. Probably more interesting then "the primates on the blue planet". Also, at the same time, What makes you think they haven't tried to talk to us? World governments are full of secrecy, who knows.

A Dyson swarm level society would not technically be Kardeshev level I let alone level II. A Dyson swarm whether spherical or ring would not be enough to completely utilize all the power from the star. So they would be level 0 on the cusp of level I. Kardeshev scale level 0+++.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Tjoran

And if they have little to no interest in us, catching their attention might be the last thing we want to do. That is precisely my point.

Put simply: Do you care about the ants until they come into your home and get in your way?
edit on 15-10-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

originally posted by: Tjoran

A Dyson swarm level society would not technically be Kardeshev level I let alone level II. A Dyson swarm whether spherical or ring would not be enough to completely utilize all the power from the star. So they would be level 0 on the cusp of level I. Kardeshev scale level 0+++.

that brings up another point then, Lets say it IS a Dyson swarm. We just got lukey we saw it at all. We haven't done anything large scale enough for anyone to see - Maby they just don't know we are actually here?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Discussion is here with lots of data.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Dyson structure - a ring maybe

Dyson Sphere, actually.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
top two stories currently here:

nextbigfuture.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown

Dyson Sphere, actually.
not a sphere. a sphere would not let any starlight through. this was detected as unusual because of the rise and fall of star light that are suggestive of lots of things of massive size occulting the star in a train-like fashion. thus the thing is not solid or cone contiguous object.
edit on 15-10-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

originally posted by: donktheclown

Dyson Sphere, actually.
not a sphere. a sphere would not let any starlight through. this was detected as unusual because of the rise and fall of star light that are suggestive of lots of things of massive size occulting the star in a train-like fashion. thus the thing is not solid or cone contiguous object.

Could be simply a result of two big planets colliding and shattering into many big pieces (if the word "simply" could be used for such an epic and never before observed event).

Perhaps the "train" is not linear, and we're observing gigantic planets in their respective orbits, but which happened to line up from our perspective.

I hope repeated observations and closer studies will shed more light on this phenomenon.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Please direct your comments to this ongoing thread....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

thanks

new topics

top topics

join