It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gary Mckinnon's account of NASA images

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
How could he "see" the images without downloading them? Perhaps he saw the thumbnails, but to view a full-size image it *has*to be downloaded (even if only into the web browser cache). But wouldn't there also be pictures of other satellites as well as UFO's?

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
How could he "see" the images without downloading them? Perhaps he saw the thumbnails, but to view a full-size image it *has*to be downloaded (even if only into the web browser cache). But wouldn't there also be pictures of other satellites as well as UFO's?

From what I remember from years ago, he was using dial up 56k connection and accessing via remote access application using default admin, admin login/password. Apparently several were left in default. It took somewhere to the tune of a couple hours to get it up on screen, never saved to file.

It wouldn't be a web browser cache, he was using remote access application.
edit on 13-10-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

I think I remember that he had copied some data and passwords and the like on to the computer he was using. So he managed to copy/save some stuff, just nothing that would support his claims.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I think I remember that he had copied some data and passwords and the like on to the computer he was using. So he managed to copy/save some stuff, just nothing that would support his claims.

Yeah I specifically remember him saying the photo files were to large. For his connection speed, it took entirely to long just to view the images, had he known what he had he could have just went right to saving any and all files. Get what you can and sort it out when you're off but I don't think he was prepared to find what he found. Who knows, curious story nonetheless.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: krines

There is good reason to think this is a typical ufo cliched BS statements, if there was either alien or human advanced tech rather than take pictures of it and hide it you just don't take the pictures in the first place. The people that need to know would still know.

These theories fall apart under simple logic

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I don't think a hacker with his abilities would be able to find what he did without a little "help". It seems quite convenient that he stumbled upon the ONE NASA computer (a NASA computer at that!) that managed to have this stuff on it, and connected to the internet in such a way he could get in.

Normally NASA wouldn't even have this kind of stuff around, or if they did it would be on a more secure computer and NASA has a TON of computers. For him to just "stumble" onto this ... nah, he was either really lucky or...
edit on 14-10-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:47 AM
link   
I remember watching his Camelot interview a while back.

His story is interesting. I don't deem it impossible that he did what he did.

My theory is that he did what he did, but what he found may be rough around the edges IMO.

He also claimed that many other hackers where on the network at the same time as him, from all over the world. Makes you wonder who these people are and what they found?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

lol it's like NASA building a super secret space shuttle, then leaving it on the runway at JFK hoping nobody sees it!

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
a reply to: brace22

I wonder if copies of what was found were made and are hidden away someplace...?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Too many issues (as highlighted) to put much faith in the story.

Just because Mckinnon was on the receiving end of overtly OTT reactions by the US judicial system doesn't mean he found anything special...

You would expect even the dullards at NASA to be running some sort of simulated interception environment....maybe one with an element of humor attached?

I lol'd at the Manning (now a Woman) Assange (held up in an embassy) Snowden (Gulag) analogy.
Funny how McKinnon is still walking the streets of Britain and can be hired for £40 an hour.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   

You may be on to something there.
Its called a honey pot and used a lot to catch cyber criminals.

I never thought gary lied. I know a few people with Autism and one thing they find hard to do is lie. But a honey pot would explain how he did infact see something even if not the truth.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Look at it this way, there are only a few public instances where the US government and her alphabet agencies have immediately reacted full retard at whistleblowers and Gary McKinnon, Chelsea Manning, Edward Snowden and Julian Assange' are just such instances that come to mind.

And in the case of the last 3 individuals I mentioned there, they had released damning, damning evidence of US government (and agencies) wrongdoing.

So....you do the math.

I agree with your take. If it was nothing they could have quietly let him spend six months in jail and changed the laws in reaction to what happened.

IMO there has to be some reason they made him famous.

They didn't make him famous. The fact he is alleged to have Asperger's and is therefore (in his mother and lawyers eyes) classed as disabled and unfit to face a trial, and the publicity this kicked up around basically a misfit hacking into US government servers from his bedroom meant he briefly became another z list celebrity.

BTW, 'air-brushed UFOs out of pictures''? Seriously?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 04:56 AM
link   

It wouldn't surprise me if the guy DOES have something, but he isn't telling anyone.

If you were under threat of criminal prosecution, and looking at 60 years jail time... Would you then say

"Oh btw I saw the REAL Moon pics?"

It would make his case worse surely?

Sadly, for us, the fact he wouldn't release such info acts only to dis-credit his story.

It's lose - lose for him whatever happens.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 05:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate

Yeah I specifically remember him saying the photo files were to large. For his connection speed, it took entirely to long just to view the images, had he known what he had he could have just went right to saving any and all files. Get what you can and sort it out when you're off but I don't think he was prepared to find what he found. Who knows, curious story nonetheless.

Trouble is, alt + PrtScn worked just as well then as it does today - if he could view it he could copy it - no additional downloading required which kind of shoots a fair bit of the story down in flames, doesn't it?

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

Trouble is, alt + PrtScn worked just as well then as it does today - if he could view it he could copy it - no additional downloading required which kind of shoots a fair bit of the story down in flames, doesn't it?

He's also been candid about his spending a lot of those years under the influence of recreational chemicals.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: JimOberg

He's also been candid about his spending a lot of those years under the influence of recreational chemicals.

So he wasn't under the influence enough to hack in to NASA and DoD networks and leave messages and delete things and alter things, wasn't under the influence enough to download files and passwords, but WAS too under the influence to hit "print?"

Come on.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Yes but the other side of the coin is, he did screenshot it and doesn't want to die and/or agencies recovered all his hardware anyway.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Interesting perspectives and sentiments here. Thanks for sharing. I found his case interesting. He did mention a 'honey pot' scenario once when a NASA admin actually realised the computer was being hacked and even had a dialogue. Gary was probably pushing his luck, when he got familiar with the security system of NASA. He started off just trying out his skills, as any ambitious hacker might. He also mentioned he tried for over a year or so. Along with other hackers from other countries. But it is also fair to assume he is not divulging all the info or perhaps exaggerating some bits , if advised to do so for legal implications by a lawyer. His case did go on for a long time. I certainly agree this is no 'proof' of ufo. I found the co-relations interesting, and my first instinct is to grant benefit of the doubt, rather than proclaim everyone is lying if it doesnt agree with what I know or expect.

Thanks again. Interesting discussion.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Look at it this way, there are only a few public instances where the US government and her alphabet agencies have immediately reacted full retard at whistleblowers and Gary McKinnon, Chelsea Manning, Edward Snowden and Julian Assange' are just such instances that come to mind.

Manning and Snowden had access to SCIFs with data to be stolen.

This sort of data would not be on SIPRNET machines you would have access to. McKinnon would not have been able to get into a machine with that level of info on.

eta: and for that matter, NASA wouldn't have any access to Joint Space Operations info. They're civilian. Inter and intra system ship info is JSO, and full bore military. And it's all JWICS level crap.
edit on 14-10-2015 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Yes but the other side of the coin is, he did screenshot it and doesn't want to die and/or agencies recovered all his hardware anyway.

Assumption on your part. He is saying he couldn't save the images but allegedly says he viewed them. That would be enough for 'agencies' to want his hardware as they may have had more understanding of how to..., oh how hard is it, restore data on his computer. The fact he is not dead now should help rubbish the theory that shadowy men in black would kill him before he could blab - if they were going to do that you wouldn't even know he existed, would you?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join