It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to rebuild a Dragon Lady

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Another one of Lockheed's promo videos. In this one it shows how Lockheed performs a PDM (Programmed Depot Maintenance) of the Air Force's U2 Dragon Lady.
Interesting to watch some of the steps they have to go through (paint strip, checking over 40,000 rivets, almost complete dismantle) to make sure these airplanes stay flying in the environments that they do.

The U-2 Dragon Lady goes through Lockheed Martin Programmed Depot Maintenance (PDM) every 4,800 flight hours or every seven years. PDM involves the complete disassembly, inspection, repair and reassembly of the entire aircraft; ensuring its longevity and ability to fly at today's record-high operational rates. This thorough maintenance allows Lockheed Martin to collect data on airframe integrity, confirming that nearly 80 percent lifespan remains on the aircraft. The U-2 collects critical targets no other platform can, flying faster, deeper and with greater reliability compared to any high-altitude ISR aircraft since the SR-71

lockheedmartin.com...
edit on 12-10-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

And it's never the same again after.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Yup, we have the same issues where I work. System operators hate it when I have to take a good operating machine down for a PM. Sometimes the systems don't like to be messed with.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Sir we have this box of bolts left over....

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

You used to be able to make an entire Squadron of men cry by sending the message that an aircraft was due for PDM.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I bet...It was bad enough watching them do a Section 41 on 747,s...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

We used to get them back from the Depot and put them straight into a phase inspection to find all the things they screwed up.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Some years ago I watched a docu. that described the U2 as a F104 Starfighter with extra wide wings

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: manuelram16

It's actually worse. It's a lot more unforgiving than the -104 was.

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I thought a Hammond organ was complex. Seeing something that size taken apart and reassembled gives me goosebumps. Knew a technician who used to go around repairing electronics. Kept a jar filled with the screws and bolts that he had left over after repairing each one ...

top topics

join