It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My computer is haunted

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Hearing your name called is a fairly common phenomenon. Especially if overly tired or running a fever. Low grade fevers often go unnoticed and who doesn't get overly tired after a long day?

Common hypnagogic hallucinations may be visual (e.g., scenes from the previous few hours appear) or auditory (e.g., one seems to hear one’s name called). A frequently occurring hypnagogic hallucination is the sensation of loss of support or balance, perhaps accompanied by a fragmentary “dream” of falling, followed immediately by a jerking reflex recovery movement (the myoclonic jerk) that may jolt the sleeper back into wakefulness.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Thank you for all who replied

My computer stopped working and it has been at the shop for the last 24 hours getting fixed.
Apparently there was a motherboard failiure, but he said that looks like it has had water damage, and has replaced it and replaced the cpu. The hardrive is fine.

Either way how has it got water damage when the pc tower is sealed shut.

I will keep you all informed but i am feeling a bit creeped out by it all, and it does still not explain the calling of my name.

Lamplighters

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: lamplighters

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
Are you good looking? Kinda sounds like a pervy-creepy hacker. Newer chips can be accessed via the net and a kernel OS can turn on the PC remotely. I have no clue how to do it, but know it's technically possible.

Try removing the ethernet cable and seeing if it stops.

The pc techican checked too that my computer is not being remotely accessed, checked for external programmes, spyware, disabled remote connection
plus my speakers are broken, i use headphones, so i wouldnt have heard like that anyway. I use secure wifi too

He wouldn't know .. there are certain types of malware that can infect your bios directly that are completely undetectable and un-removable ..

As long as your computer is plugged in, the bios has power and can wake your computer at any time just as the network card in your computer can trigger the bios to wake your computer.

I figure someone has either gotten past your wifi security and is remotely waking your PC, or you may have gotten hit by something like this:

phys.org...

Ps. I know this article says it needs physical access to be installed but this is from 2012 ... So this could be different now.

edit on 10/14/2015 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: lamplighters
Best of luck to you!!! I hope that your computer is back to new and running as good as ever when you get it back. Water damage can happen very easily. High humidity can even cause water damage. Please keep us posted on things.

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Hi!,

If this tech guy can't solve the problem of auto turn on, could be something on the BIOS, tell him to check the "AC Power Recovery", perhaps you have a micro power cuts at night, that turn on the power supply, tell him to set this option in OFF

Good luck!

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: bw1000
a reply to: sandman441

I don't know about the US or anywhere else, but most recent computers here in the UK don't have modems in their specifications anymore, whether desktop or laptop. 10 years ago you more or less couldn't get a laptop without a 56k dial-up fax modem, now you have to look hard to find them. Since broadband became popular and few people used dial-up internet, they were dropped. My 2007 made laptop had a modem bult in but that was near to the end for them. My 2009 model laptop, my latest one, had no modem.

Lamplighters might well have an older machine. If she's still around!

I want to say ours does have that 56K modem on there because alot of the US does not have broadband yet. They are still on 56K. But I am unsure if that is an optional option or something because I build my computers and I know mine doesn't have a modem setting on there.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Not to make you paranoid, but I never use technicians that I don't personally know. It is way to easy to put remote administration tools on your p.c.
With a r.a.t. you can do anything to/with that p.c. from any other pc. (Screenshots, Webcam pics, record with your computers mic) and if they installed a key logger, then you can say by by to your passwords too.
WiFi is also fairly easy to crack. Even wpa/wpa2. And if you use wep encryption, maybe 5 minutes to crack.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
OK. I think I got it. Reboot and try it now.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

First of all you are probably self reinforcing your fears [spooking yourself], it is Oct. and halloween is around the corner, so if you've been watching scary movies or scary paraphernalia you are probably just scaring yourself.

You can also induce hallucinations, or hysteria by scaring your mind into believing you are seeing and hearing things that are not there. You'll jump at your own shadow, get a nervous, uncomfortable feeling if it is very quiet.

Computers are so complex now that they can pull themselves out of sleep mode, as there are background programs always running. My computer sometimes wakes up after i have put it to sleep, and it's always because some process is running in the background that wakes it up. My computer NEVER turns on from a hard power off, and yours won't either, sleep mode still supplies power to the computer and it is actually "on" it's just in a low power mode that save energy.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Do you have a smart phone like a windows phone? or iphone? Those have A.I. now that if you do, may have called your name.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
Hearing your name called is a fairly common phenomenon. Especially if overly tired or running a fever. Low grade fevers often go unnoticed and who doesn't get overly tired after a long day?

Common hypnagogic hallucinations may be visual (e.g., scenes from the previous few hours appear) or auditory (e.g., one seems to hear one’s name called). A frequently occurring hypnagogic hallucination is the sensation of loss of support or balance, perhaps accompanied by a fragmentary “dream” of falling, followed immediately by a jerking reflex recovery movement (the myoclonic jerk) that may jolt the sleeper back into wakefulness.

True, good response.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   
"Oh, it's just the computer turning on due to it activating from sleep", is too easy an explanation, I think. Because she also hears her name called. I have heard my name called once. Clear as a day (or night in this instance), and it was clearly meant as a warning of some sort, to "not tread where no angels tread". Also, the technician would disable any hibernation/sleep, to rule out that fact. I think it is more likely a prank/hacker. But, as others have suggested: set up a webcam and record the computer.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Ok,

i think your computer turning on can be part of windows, check the task manager, are there any jobs that are set to run, that are also set to wake up the PC,

also do you have any anti-virus or apply Windows Updates at certain times, as both of these can turn on your PC,

but the name "cindy" that you heard, that is something different, and i would rule out the PC, unless this unusual electrical behvour is affecting anything else,

maybe you have a squeky floorboard that happens to sound like Cindy when you walk over it?

PM if you want me to talk you through some PC checks

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Phatdamage

I disagree. I think the problem is you may not be able to rule out the PC without putting it in another room for a while. (Althought the voice element is less likely to be the PC than the noise, which sounds very like it could be an automatwd system process, or even a bot or something with unauthorised access.) The very fear is it could be either PC or so-called supernatural, either can't bw ruled out yet. As many people have said, now there are all kinds of pieces of software which can learn and speak your name. And any manner of sources can hijack any networked device and even switch it on from a full shutdown (not just merely sleep or hibernate).

The possibilities are known. However, this is interesting as I'd agree that the voice is less likely to be the computer. Have you a smart-phone or tablet or similar device running in your room perhaps with something that would give you notifications?

Have your heard the voice since last posting, lamplighters?

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Last night i saw a mist around the computer and i heard my name on two occasions, once whispered the second time louder.

I could feel cold all around even though the heating was on.

I am starting to get worried now, as now i think there is haunting

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Was the computer unplugged?

I have an old Dell computer that turns itself on whenever there is a glitch in the power (like when you see the lights flicker), so the easiest way to stop it from doing that is to unplug it. However those aren't nightly events so if it's nightly the suggestions of autoupdates or scheduled defrags sound more likely, and unplugging the PC should prevent those also. If it turns itself on while unplugged you really do have something supernatural going on there!

posted on Oct, 19 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Sorry to hear this. I guess it may be quite scary, naturally.
Has the computer itself got some kind of history? Did you attain it new or previously used?
How long have you lived there? Was there nothing of this type of thing before you got your computer?

posted on Oct, 24 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
well "cindy" have you figured out the source of your problem?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Your computer is haunted?

Throw it away and by a new one.

Problem solved.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Brett83
Not everyone has the money to throw at a NEW computer. I'm sure if she did that would have been the first fix.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join