It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are humans capable of symbiosis?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Symbiosis: interaction between two different organisms living in close physical association, typically to the advantage of both.
a mutually beneficial relationship between different people or groups.

This is the definition of symbiosis when a search of Google was performed.

Humans are emotional beings. We thrive on relationships and companionships. From the most introverted people, to the most extroverted people, it's essential we maintain some kind of contact with another human being. However, there is a time when these emotional connections take on a level that is beyond human understanding. When this happens, we end up reading articles like this:

95-year-old man dies 2 weeks after wife was taken away

VIDEO: 92-Year-Old Man Sings Beautiful Love Song to Dying Wife

And the most convincing of all:

PI CTURED: The dying embrace of husband and wife who were married for 75 years and died just hours apart as they held hands in bed

This subject has been deep in my thoughts for the longest time. There's no doubt that several more articles could be gathered together of similar circumstance to the ones I've just posted. This leads me to the point behind why I've created this thread.

No one can deny or refute that humanity is social in nature. My question is whether our humanity, our souls, being, essence, personalities, or whatever you care to call it, can reach the level of a symbiotic relationship with another human being. If this is a real phenomenon, is it possible that there is a real symbiotic relationship for everyone? Or is it even possible that we all spend a lifetime looking for this symbiotic relationship to no avail?

I'm not quite sure how I feel about the matter. But when taking into consideration the articles I've linked, and circumstances similar, it's hard to deny that there was definitely a love that transcends all time and knowledge.

If it's true that humans are capable of such symbiotic emotions, how far would you be willing to go to find that symbiotic match?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I get what you mean, but Symbiosis is not a term you should use.

Symbiosis is between 2 different species.

I think there are people that are happy by themselves.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: luciddream

I believe symbiosis is a term can be applied across a variety of species as well as among the same species. Its very definition implies that two organisms are intertwined and dependent upon one another for life. I believe symbiosis is the correct term for my thread because I'd like to explore whether this term can be applied to an emotional state.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

Yeah, it is called marriage and it becomes divorce when it stops being mutually beneficial.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I would say symbiosis is the key to heaven and anything less is hell on earth.

We will learn that it is better to use our differences to benefit humanity and not view our differences as competitive forces at some point.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   
We mate for life, does that mean we arent a virus? No, we arent living in any symbiosis.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Hyperia

I would say that current divorce rates counter your statement that we mate for life.

That doesn't really address the point of the OP. There are certain couples that have been together for 90% of their lives. Under these circumstances, it's not an unreasonable question as to whether it's possible for humans to enter a symbiotic emotional relationship with one another.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

We do mate for life, you see society is a illusion of choices. Nature doesnt have that illusion.
Dont forget what you are,.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

it's possible for humans to enter a symbiotic emotional relationship with one another.

Well yeah, that's one of the definitions.

noun, plural symbioses [sim-bee-oh-seez, -bahy-] (Show IPA)
Biology.
the living together of two dissimilar organisms, as in mutualism, commensalism, amensalism, or parasitism.
(formerly) mutualism (def 1).
Psychiatry. a relationship between two people in which each person is dependent upon and receives reinforcement, whether beneficial or detrimental, from the other.
Psychoanalysis. the relationship between an infant and its mother in which the infant is dependent on the mother both physically and emotionally.
any interdependent or mutually beneficial relationship between two persons, groups, etc.

can reach the level of a symbiotic relationship with another human being. If this is a real phenomenon, is it possible that there is a real symbiotic relationship for everyone? Or is it even possible that we all spend a lifetime looking for this symbiotic relationship to no avail?

I feel like you're using the word without having realized that reading the definition clearly says that yes, we DO have symbiotic relationships. There isn't necessarily ONE person that you can have a symbiotic relationship with. Many people have had multiple partners and shared that kind of connection. It doesn't even have to be a romantic relationship. It doesn't even have to be a person, it can be a parasite in your bum.

So some of the reasons why you see people who have been together for a long time die so close together may not be all that complex. By the very nature of two people being together for a very long time, they are going to be old. Perhaps it's just coincidence. How often does this actually happen? Having a sudden and very huge stress greatly effects the body, and someone who is elderly or suffering from some malady may not be able to deal with these physiological stressors.

I think I have an inkling where you want to go with this, but believe you've sort of latched onto this word and it isn't the right one.

Editing to add that I'm sorry about sounding like an ass if I did, sometimes I catch it. I think it's a very interesting question. I think soul mate perhaps? I for one don't think you only get one shot, but sometimes if you're very lucky you find that other half of you, and with some hard work and respect you can become soul mates, I think it's earned, not guaranteed and not predestined.

edit on 1020151020151 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I by no means meant to imply that there was only one opportunity to find the individual whom a symbiotic relationship can be had. I meant to imply that it's rare enough to wonder whether it's just a fluke or is the examples I gave In the sources a real example of an emotional symbiotic relationship.

Edit: Or to even explore whether or not one would sacrifice their independence for a connection deep enough to be symbiotic.

edit on 10/11/2015 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
I get what you mean, but Symbiosis is not a term you should use.

Symbiosis is between 2 different species.

I think there are people that are happy by themselves.

Symbiosis have gotten another meaning than the biological definition where symbiosis can mean

the living together of two dissimilar organisms, as in mutualism, commensalism, amensalism, or parasitism.

Today most people including myself use symbiosis to mean the biological concept of mutualism both within and without organism difference. Where the behavior is mutually positive for all parties involved.

With that definition symbiosis will be the direct opposite duality to parasitism.

edit on 11-10-2015 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Of course we do!

The relationship of man and dogs, for example!

If you use the term in the way it has commonly evolved- not referring only to inter-species relationships, then yes, there too.
People can be interdependent with other people. Not only in romantic relationships, but many others- like that of an employer and employee. Alcoholics have their co-dependents. A couple living together is interdependent.
Mutually beneficial relationships abound, though one thing humans are capable of is being in denial about what it is they personally get out of a relationship.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   

I think it's a very interesting question.

You should look up "broken heart syndrome".

I think we need to either do away with the word symbiosis in this conversation, or you have to pick one of the definitions and most likely say exactly what you mean by it, expounding on it a little further than whatever dictionary definition comes up. So you can say that you have a symbiotic relationship with your best friend, and that's accurate. I think you're talking about something far more specific, so it's the wrong word, or perhaps just not accurate enough (for me at least).

So I think maybe I'm getting a better idea of what you're asking. Are some relationships so profound, so deep that one truly cannot live without the other? I think so. I think it happens. I think it's rare, incredibly rare, and usually these things occur more by chance than a sort of complete rending of the heart after learning a partner has died (or somehow just knowing). I think that there are things we don't yet understand, I think some connections are deeper than our eyes or science can see yet. Look at twins, who have historically had some truly bizarre connections, even across vast distances. I don't doubt that two souls are able to, in rare circumstance, link together in a matter beyond our current understanding.

I'm rather guarded in discussing my beliefs about this sort of thing, and I won't go into great detail, but I've seen some things that defy reason even after examining them with harsh skepticism. Things that I simply cannot explain away as happenstance, though I certainly would like to unlock that secret, hear the little click in my head as tumblers fall into place before opening the box and realizing it's contents common.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   
That's a good point, Domo.

Though I was sticking to the subject according to the literal meanings here, I got the feeling that the OP was actually referring to something else too.

That thing is a sort of fusion of identity- when one relates so heavily with another that the lines of self and other are no longer there.

I do think it can cause people to actually die when their fusional partner has died. I saw it with some couples at the nursing home.

I watch the way my husband and I can read each others minds as the years go by- All I have to do is think of him, he'll call. Think of what I want for dinner, he'll have the same sudden desire and pick it up on the way home without even talking to me first.
After a while, there is no clear sense of "who thought first". I can't be sure my thought didn't arise because he thought first. Who knows?
"We" had a thought, or a desire, or a feeling, and determining the cause and effect, the beginning and the end becomes irrelevant.
That is where the individual self concept loses it's contrast.

We don't need words as much. Perhaps that lends itself to the impression young people describe of older couples being bored or having nothing else in common? While we're sitting at a table, I often feel like tons of thoughts and sentiments are being exchanged, without any words at all. We understand each other. It isn't boring at all! It feels like the self is just expanded, or bigger, through the what each of us pour into it. It feels creative.
I imagine that increasing in the years to come.
edit on 11-10-2015 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluesma

That was incredibly beautiful and touching. I hope you don't mind, but I saved the text of that post. There was just something about it, I'm terrible at remembering words, but I'll always remember that thought and feeling after reading what you said about your relationship.

I wish we humans could share a bit deeper than words online, maybe just a tinge of emotion, but the mix we feel would be better. Even still, that touched my heart and I won't forget it.

I saw memories and trust, understanding and patience, and briefly felt that serenity that only comes with feeling safe in the company of someone you truly love and a quiet moment of shared joy, watching a glorious sunset together.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:59 AM
link   
See what your getting at, but symbiosis is 2 beings actually living as one being, within each other or together like the microorganisms living in your gut, or mitochondria living within cells.

I think the Earth is like a symbiotic being. Other beings provide oxygen and atmosphere for us; without which we or others cannot exist. Life is interdependent; it is symbiotic and can be seen as a whole organism. Internet is like nerve cells communicating.. and people traveling in cars on a highway is sort of like cells traveling through a blood vessel.

We form a living being.. a sick one at that.

(sry if I changed the subject.)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Perhaps symbiotic isn't the right word. I'm not quite sure what would be correct, but it seemed as if it was the best way to describe what was going on, in my mind, in the sources I provided. I was pretty tired last night, so if it seemed as if I was a bit scattered, I probably was. Hopefully I can provide a better look as to my thought process and why I chose that particular term.

I understand the strict meaning of symbiosis is two organisms that depend on one another to survive. Or even as nOraKat put it, the organisms within another that are dependent upon one another to survive. I don't believe this is a naturally occurring state as loss is something we as humans must learn to cope with and move on from. We do that relatively well. So the things we've described are what I believe to be examples of symbiosis. But as you've said, I've not been specific with the term, but am meaning a specific phenomenon. But I'd like to mainly focus on the emotional aspect of symbiosis.

In reference to the articles, they reference people who've shared their entire lives with one another. They've become so interdependent on each other for their physical, emotional, and whatever other needs they may have. They've transcended above the terms friendship, marriage, and possibly relationship. I have heard the term "broken heart syndrome" and am fully aware that syndrome fits the bill for every source I've linked to. But to me, it seems as if it's a simple explanation for something so in depth. Is "broken heart syndrome" something that occurs due to symbiosis?

I agree whole heartedly that this is a beyond rare condition. But seeing as how rare it is, and how it effects people when it happens, is it chance? I even wonder if we're all capable of this state given the right person and right set of circumstances. I know this makes it seem as if I'm wondering if there's a specific person for each of us, but that's not at all what I'm attempting to discuss.

I'm just trying to understand just what exactly goes on when "broken heart syndrome" occurs and whether it could be accurately described as a truly symbiotic relationship on a human to human level.

I hope that helps clear up some of my thoughts on the topic.

top topics

join