It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here Come the Republican Moderates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Republican Moderates and Democrates work to revive Export-Import Bank

In a rare move, rank-and-file GOP lawmakers have joined with Democrats to force a vote on legislation reviving the Export-Import Bank.

It has taken nearly five years and the resignation of a speaker, but moderate Republicans in the House have taken their most aggressive step to undermine the influence of hard-right conservatives in the party.

A group of more than 50 GOP lawmakers joined nearly the entire Democratic caucus to force a vote on legislation reauthorizing the Export-Import Bank, the 80-year-old federal lending agency that shuttered when Republican leaders refused to renew its charter. The bipartisan coalition on Friday introduced the bill through a discharge petition, a rarely-used procedural mechanism that allows lawmakers to bypass both committees and the leadership to call up legislation signed by a majority of the House. It’s a maneuver that was last executed 13 years ago and only five times in the last eight decades, lawmakers said.

It's about time that the Republican moderates started to come out of the woodwork. And, there are a lot more moderates than the far right wing-nuts that currently rule the House.

Maybe we're finally going to start seeing some actual governing coming out of congress, rather than the utter gridlock being caused by a small minority of inexperienced politicians hell-bent on bringing the government to its knees for a few highly partisan issues.

I don't have strong feelings about the Ex-Im Bank one way or the other, but I am excited about the possibility of the US Congress finally returning to a funtional state.

Unfortunately, I don't believe this will be a permanent change. I'm sure the Tea Party activists will work against these moderates in the next election and unseat them in the primaries, replacing them with more wing-nuts.

But it was nice while it lasted.

- dex

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   
The Republican moderates are coming? Riding on unicorns, no doubt. Seriously, if they exist, where have they been hiding?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Every once in a while, Boehner appeared to be a moderate and willing to work together on good legislation no matter who it was created by as long as it was good. He was too moderate. Yeah?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Blazemore2000

They've been hiding at the same retreats used by the Democrats...

There seems to be a long waiting list for 'spine replacement'.....

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I thought all of us left the party and went indie when the nutters took over. Out Government was designed to work under compromise. When one party refuses to do that you end up with what we have no, a Congress that has been the 2 least productive of all time. Of course it makes it even worse when GOP is spends most its time fighting itself. The moderates either regain control or the GOP is dead as a national party.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I do know if I would classify Boehner as a moderate. Perhaps he was. But, I would certainly call him a pragmatist.

I believe he did cross the isle several times to get legislation passed, especially in the last few years, contrary to the so-called Hastert Rule. I think that has contributed to his growing conflict with the Freedom Caucus.

Now that he is a lame-duck Speaker, he can do whatever is necessary to get legislation passed without worrying about how the far-right will respond.

-dex

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

There’s as now less Republican moderates left as there are FSA troops in Syria

Under 5

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

There seems to be a long waiting list for 'spine replacement'.....

I think they finally perfected 3D printing of new spines. Hopefully they don't dissolve too quickly.

-dex

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

On that we can agree.. the average Democrat politician's spine must be made of fairy dust of some sort.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

There’s as now less Republican moderates left as there are FSA troops in Syria Under 5

Are there still that many FSA troops? I thought the Russians took them out with their first volley of Cruise Missiles.

-dex

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad
I thought all of us left the party and went indie when the nutters took over. Out Government was designed to work under compromise. When one party refuses to do that you end up with what we have no, a Congress that has been the 2 least productive of all time. Of course it makes it even worse when GOP is spends most its time fighting itself. The moderates either regain control or the GOP is dead as a national party.

It has been my opinion for some time now that a government that does nothing, absolutely nothing at all is ,by far, the best government a society could ever hope to have representing them. As if we don't already have enough laws on the books, they have to pass even more? NOT!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
It doesn't matter which way the tide shifts in the R and D Congress, it doesn't matter which way it shifts inside those two parties either.
Libertarians will not win.
Liberty will lose.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The GOP needs to purge the Theocratic Fascist from their ranks or get used to losing, because most people are moderate, middle of the road and are scared ****less of the extreme right wing.

This is from a purely local perspective. Nationally it's just to crazy, surreal and disillusionary to call....

edit on 10-10-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Well, I suppose that in theory that may work. But in reality that's not the case.

A government that has become non-functional after already having put in place a vast number of unnecessary laws and support systems is worse than no government at all. In addition to passing more laws, that same government is the only entity that can repeal existing unnecessary laws. And, as a society, we come to depend on many of those support systems that are created by our government.

Even if we personally, as individuals, don't make use of things like government provided education, social security, and transportation, others do depend on it. And when those systems are no longer available for those who depend on them, society begins to degrade as a whole. Which affects everyone.

- dex

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

The GOP needs to purge the Theocratic Fascist from their ranks or get used to losing, because most people are moderate, middle of the road and are scared ****less of the extreme right wing. This is from a purely local perspective. Nationally it's just to crazy, surreal and disillusionary to call....

I completely agree.

I consider myself very moderate and "middle of the road." However, I do not believe that there is any place in government for religiously motivated laws and regulations. To me that is a completely insane approach to governing. Unfortunately, these "Theocratic Fascists" are hiding behind the more respectable handle of "Conservatives."

- dex

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

I fully understand what you are saying about certain functions of government being necessary for the well-being of the group but the main problem of this government we now have is that virtually nothing ever passed ever gets repealed. The books just tend to get fatter and fatter as time passes. The problem we now have is the truth that we are now being governed by the executive bureaucracy with little to no oversight or deterrence by congress. That needs to stop.

The truth is that the federal government was never intended to being all powerful over every aspect of our individual lives. Those powers were originally reserved to the states but those state responsibilities we usurped with the 16th and 17th amendments. I can still not understand how the states allowed their powers to be undermined to such a state.

I keep coming back to the one section of our constitution that seems to actually receive the least amount of attention when one thinks of the allotment of governing authorities and responsibilities and that section is the

"Preamble".

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

I point to "common defense" and most importantly "GENERAL WELFARE" but this federal government has become all encompassing and that, my friend, was not intended to be. Now, we are being forced to live under an increasingly oppressive socio-faciest regime where our every action is monitored and subject to punitive action by the federal government. Our federal government has morphed into an oppressive monster at this point with no resolution in sight. When a little girl can not even set up a neighborhood lemon aid stand without first acquiring a government permit, something is seriously wrong. Our governments have gone over the cliff of sanity and common sense.

I certainly would like to see our congress take control of this monster but I'm not going to hold my breath. They all take an oath to uphold and defend the constitution but their oath is an absolute joke they have no intention of honoring. They forget they ever took it the very second the turn and start shaking everyone's hands. And congressman Joe Blow says, "what oath, I don't recall taking any stupid oath"?

Well, yes there are certainly many common benefits the government provides but My position will always be that most, or maybe even all of these benefits should be the states responsibilities, not the federal government.

As I said previously, it seems none is ever repealed

edit on 11-10-2015 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
The Import Export Bank gives quite a bit to the Fortune 25 companies and is more corporate welfare. It should be left closed.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

This is basically why you should be wary anytime you hear about bipartisanship - It generally means that We the People get screwed. Haven't any of you lauding it figured out yet that "moderate" Republicans and Democrats really are all about reserving the power and wealth to themselves for their big money masters just as quickly as they can rob it from the rest of us?

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I get nervous whenever there is not gridlock in Congress.

I would prefer that they do nothing else. Ever.

<<   2 >>

join