It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haley's Comet No More (A Mandela Effect)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The latest Mandela Effect I've noticed is Haley's Comet. It was spelled "Haley" and pronounced "Hale-ee,") only now it's "Halley" and pronounced "hall-ee.") Here's the definition with the current spelling and audio pronunciation.

How many of you remember Haley's Comet? All my life it was Haley's Comet, only now it isn't anymore and never was. As with the "Berenstein Bears," it's not just the name that changed but the family name behind it.

Also like the other Mandela Effect cases, there are remnants of the old reality. Here are some cultural references to the original name:

Bill Haley & His Comets
en.wikipedia.org...

Marcus Haley, bodybuilder, known as Haley's Comet.
en.wikipedia.org...

The Urban Dictionary displays a slang reference...

Check out the Free Dictionary's spelling and audio pronunciation here, and compare it to what I found when I first Googled it...

I bet that search result will be gone soon, as everything adjusts to the 'proper' (new) spellings and so forth.

Nickleback: Second Chance (Nickleback still sings it right!)

Angry Johnny And The Killbillies-Haley's Comet

Mining Haley's Comet Nevada Turquoise

Do you remember Haley's Comet?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I've always gone back & forth& pronounced it both ways. I've known people who pronounce it either way. Potay-toe, potah-toe deal, just like people calling Chile "Chee-lay" or plain ol' Chilly.

Nothing's changed, people's pronunciations simply vary based on mother tongue & dialect.

Edit: Actually, make that 3 pronunciation variations:

"Hailey's Comet"
"Hall-ee's Comet"
"Hal-ee's Comet"

Just caught myself bouncing between all 3. Keep in mind the poor guy's name has been butchered & spelled every which way from Sunday over time, so the correct pronunciation is up for grabs. Because the guy's been dead since the 1700s, and can't yanno, just tell us.
edit on 10/10/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:14 AM
link   
No great mystery here. The correct pronunciation became known years ago. It was always called Haley's Comet. But then it was discovered that Haley pronounced his name differently than what the public thought at that time. That's when it started to get pronounced differently.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer

I'm not sure where you get that from. Edmond Halley spelled his name with two L's. Who would pronounce "Halley" like "Hale-ee?" Can you provide evidence to support that claim?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I remember it being Halley's comet, I suppose the issue is how people pronounced it and then presuming it was spelt a certain way.
For those people that never want to admit they're wrong about something we've now got alternate timelines to make themselves feel better. Maybe your memory is just not as infallible as you think.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: LoneCloudHopper2

I'm 38 and last time Halleys Comet came round I saw it and my parents were pronouncing it Halleys. I also remember Berenstein Bears as just that, none of this Berenstain nonsense...

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Of course I misspelled it in my first post. As for pronunciation here you go: Pronunciation

As for when I heard of the change, I heard it on the radio years ago so I don't have a link.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Thanks for providing a link. I've looked around and didn't find a lot of sites about misspellings. I find it interesting how many people remember it spelled and pronounced the same way: "Haley."

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:19 AM
link   
NASA's "Haley's comet."

Haley’s Comet’s been near the sun probably hundreds of times and so when you go to Haley’s Comet, the surface you see is not the original surface. It’s a surface that’s been cooked many, many times.

www.nasa.gov...

This page also spells it "Haley's Comet."
women.nasa.gov...
edit on 10-10-2015 by LoneCloudHopper2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   
Always pronounced it Hah-lee's comet......I'm 35 and had a keen interest in space since age 4.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Nickleback: Second Chance (Nickleback still sings it right!)

Nickleback? Try Nickelback. Great memory, LOL.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Some evidence of his name having been Edmond Haley:

Mentions Edmond Haley at about 1:12

Mentions Edmond Haley at about 11:30

This University of Sterling page mentions "the Sir Edmond Haley’s Restaurant and Pub in Charlotte, North Carolina," even though the restaurant is actually called Sir Edmond Halley’s Restaurant and Pub.

There are a number of books found through Google Books which mention the "Edmond Haley" spelling, but the links won't post properly here (due to their length I presume.)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DenyObfuscation

I'm not a fan lol

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: LoneCloudHopper2

I'm not sure where you get that from. Edmond Halley spelled his name with two L's. Who would pronounce "Halley" like "Hale-ee?" Can you provide evidence to support that claim?

I learned Haley Hale-ee .. but it's probably one of those things.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
I'm in my 50's. It has always been Halley. This is just another example of people spelling and pronouncing things the way they want to, instead of how they really are. It then becomes a trend, and later everyone is surprised to find out they've been wrong all this time.

I won't deny the possibility of something akin to the "Mandela effect", because I think space-time distortion is probably the norm, rather than the exception in our universe. We just don't recognize it as such. Though I do think we have a limited ability to remember such events. I had an idea for a movie based on this idea. Unfortunately, I'm not a great story writer.
edit on 10/10/2015 by Klassified because: time glitch

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Not too many people seem to pay attention much to spelling anymore concurrent with texting and emailing, but those of us who have 'photographic memories' remember how it was spelled on most newspaper articles.

I can understand how it changed online everywhere, but still trying to understand how it actually changed in print.

And why only in a few places - like in artwork - the original spelling remains?

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
That's not nickelback, that song is from Shinedown. Still a good song though.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
www.haleyscometrun.com...

About Us:

Running For A Reason directors and Haley's Comet volunteers
are a group of community volunteers who care about the health
and well-being of others, who wish to promote higher education
and support charity and mission projects in the Cameron area.

Meet the Board of Directors
Mahala Earnhart
Patty Gerber, President
Dave Gerber, Co-Vice President
Nancy Lipke
Mike Lipke
Brett Ridout,
Laura Sauve, Secretary
Brett Sauve, Co-Vice President
Michelle Thompson, Treasurer
"A journey of a
thousand miles
begins with a
single step."
- Confucius

Haley's Comet 1m, 5k & 10k Run
The Running F.A.R. Foundation hopes to inspire, encourage and
support Cameron High School students in their pursuit of college.
Proceeds from our races will go towards annual Haley's Comet
Scholarships.

I find it interesting they weren't changed to Halley's Comet Run.. maybe the issue was their domain name?!

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I learned both pronunciations in school. But I recall the most correct one was Halley as in valley.

The Wikipedia article shows that both pronunciations are acceptable.

I checked in a rather old science book that I've had since I was a kid, it is copyright 1964, that spells the name as "Halley."

In the 1700's, when Dr. Edmund Halley lived, his name was spelled several different ways, as was typical in those days.

While I don't have an opinion one way or the other about that the Mandela effect, I don't think this is an example of it.

-dex

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Shinedown sings Second Chance. So yeah, great song tho! I remember it always being Haley's comet.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join