It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey shoots down Russian jet

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

And the Russian air force is full of those kinds according to my few friends in the military that would know such a thing.

Greece is best friend of Russia in NATO.

I don't this any pilot would be so dumb as to violate the "radar lock" instructions and that too against NATO planes and that too in the RuAF, where he can be sent to Siberia for life as soon as he lands.

Why would Russia mess with locking NATO planes and creating hostile situation.

The above news item is a hogwash at best.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: victor7

I hope so, because putin, has used up all his god damn passes...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
Oh God, don't poke the Russian bear Turkey.

I hope for the rest of the world this is not true.

Tell Russia to stop violating Turkish airspace.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bicent76

NATO, is a defense pact.. I am telling you you keep fecking with them they are gonna fight...

Leave turkey alone!!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Mig 29 vs Nato aircraft . Someone has to lose ....
n-Topic- this was most likely a military blunder in the heat of battle. The Mig saw 3 unidentified aircraft , painted em to get a better view. Mistake. The Turkish aircraft took this as an act of aggression and shot it down. "Stuff Happens"

What does "painting" refer to?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Talorc

Locking on.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7
a reply to: Vector99

And the Russian air force is full of those kinds according to my few friends in the military that would know such a thing.

Greece is best friend of Russia in NATO.

I don't this any pilot would be so dumb as to violate the "radar lock" instructions and that too against NATO planes and that too in the RuAF, where he can be sent to Siberia for life as soon as he lands.

Why would Russia mess with locking NATO planes and creating hostile situation.

The above news item is a hogwash at best.

I'm not taking it as 100% confirmation, please understand this.

Russian pilots aren't under-trained but they sure as hell lack experience. It's really a possible scenario that a Russian pilot used his targeting methods to gain better insight if he had no radar information. It's entirely possible.

*Greece is a non-factor in NATO terms, Turkey is.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Vector99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Let's see now. Bear vs Turkey.
Thanksgiving comes early to Moscow.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   
IIIITS HAABEDING!!!!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: all2human
a reply to: avgguy
Has Syria taken down any foreign bombers entering it's territory over the years?
If true , Turkey is now the defender of ISIS and terrorism

Turkey has been a promoter of ISIS all along.

It allows foreign fighters and weapons to pass through its borders into Syria. Turkey also provides intelligence and diplomatic support to AQ and ISIS types.

Turks want to reestablish the Ottoman empire that they lost in the early 19th century. Might get a bloody nose and broken ribs instead.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Talorc

n-Topic- this was most likely a military blunder in the heat of battle. The Mig saw 3 unidentified aircraft , painted em to get a better view. Mistake. The Turkish aircraft took this as an act of aggression and shot it down. "Stuff Happens"

RADAR target lock.I should have been clearer..Sometimes a pilot can receive more information that way.Not a good idea in a conflict zone , though.

Thanks for allowing me to clear that one up.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: victor7

originally posted by: all2human
a reply to: avgguy
Has Syria taken down any foreign bombers entering it's territory over the years?
If true , Turkey is now the defender of ISIS and terrorism

Turkey has been a promoter of ISIS all along.

It allows foreign fighters and weapons to pass through its borders into Syria. Turkey also provides intelligence and diplomatic support to AQ and ISIS types.

Turks want to reestablish the Ottoman empire that they lost in the early 19th century. Might get a bloody nose and broken ribs instead.

When it comes to the Kurds, I can agree. When it comes to Turkish expansionism I disagree. Turkey doesn't have Imperialistic plans in place, especially only using 90's US warfare technology.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

RADAR target lock.I should have been clearer..Sometimes a pilot can receive more information that way.Not a good idea in a conflict zone , though.

Also to add, when you are "painted/targeted" by a weapons platform from another plane you know it immediately.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I always thought this had to turn nuclear to get resolved. No one has the troops to take on the Islamists and their supporters and conventional weapons were never going to be enough to stop the spread of the disease. I hope Russia takes this opportunity to do what we should do but don't dare even though it was done to stop a far less dangerous ideology in WW2. Make it swift and end it so the world can move on. I know the targets, they know the targets. Just do it already.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Danton because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JonStone

Well I guess this was no accident and Turkey is officially involved, so, prophecy begin.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

I see, thank you.

I hope this is not true..... I've seen some folks here that are nearly slavering for war; you can sense it in their posts, though they may not say it openly. They, and all of us, will be in for a cruel awakening should things go south. Many have been treating this whole thing like a sports match, rooting for one "team" or the other.

My advice to everyone is to keep your heads.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I don't think fault on Russia will be the catalyst for anything big. "If" this occurred my bet Russia cough Putin denies, sweeps under rug and talks to Turkey. Putin is in no position to start anything by error, most of the world would turn on him.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree
a reply to: JonStone

Well I guess this was no accident and Turkey is officially involved, so, prophecy begin.

I don't think it's been confirmed yet. So far from what I have seen it all points to a twutter feed which is not reliable soource.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

Also to add, when you are "painted/targeted" by a weapons platform from another plane you know it immediately.

And most aircraft have an auto-defense mechanism. No pilot intervention required....

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I know this has been "proven false" by SNOOPS . But I can see it happening:

Claim: A hand-held police radar unit successfully tracked a military aircraft on maneuvers, nearly causing the aircraft to fire a missile in response.

"USMC speeding ticket

Top this for a speeding ticket:

Two California Highway Patrol Officers were conducting speeding enforcement on I-15, North of MCAS Miramar. One of the officers was using a hand held radar device to check speeding vehicles approaching near the crest of a hill.

The officers were suddenly surprised when the radar gun began reading 300+ miles per hour. The officer attempted to reset the radar gun, but it would not reset and turned off.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact locked onto a USMC F/A-18 Hornet which was engaged in a low flying exercise near the location.

Back at the CHP Headquarters the Patrol Captain fired off a complaint to the USMC Base Commander.

Back came a reply in true USMC style:

Thank you for the message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Hornet had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air to ground missile aboard the fully armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the Highly Trained Marine Pilot flying the Hornet recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile system alert status and was able to override the automated defense system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar was destroyed.

Thank you for your concerns."

edit on 9-10-2015 by Gothmog because: clean

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join