It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Thirst For Knowledge... As A Teenager

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Tenebris

So I was wondering - do any of you share this insatiable thirst for knowledge?

I used to - but then they invented the internet

You have no idea how much stuff I have to un-know now...

The trouble is... I'm sixteen. For some reason, people my age who have deep thoughts like this are often scorned as show-offs - as if we're just saying that to come across as "look at me, I'm an intellectual!"

On a serious note - never apologize for being smart. Not to anyone

Don't let anybody make you feel bad about wanting to learn, to question - or for wanting to share what you've learned. One of the most dangerous things happening today is an organized movement dedicated to making thinkers appear to be dangerous - if not out and out evil

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'” -- Isaac Asimov

As long as you want to learn, you go out there and research anti-intellectualism

Report back on what you've found

:-)

edit on 10/10/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Keep at it...there are so many teenagers obsessed with ridiculous things. I'm in my 40's and still seek new knowledge each day...so glad to hear this from a youngster.

posted on Oct, 13 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Tenebris

It's been ten years since I graduated from high school since June of 2005 been working the same job for older seven years since April of 2008
I never went to college don't have the right to attend college or the free money to do so not asking for it either
Had a ten year high school reuion two months ago
Didn't attend it couldn't afford the fifty dollar ticket
I don't drink so the open bar there wasn't enticing to me. I ve always searched for knowledge anything whether it's more details on the topics discussed here ufo filmmaking politics conspiracies etc or reading folks comments to see what they would know which is often a lot more

posted on Oct, 14 2015 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tenebris
I feel as if I'm thinking too deeply about things sooner than I should be.

Who would be telling you what you should or should not be thinking? Of course, nobody. I doubt anyone would say, forget thinking, go play hacky sack. Of course you should pursue what you find intriguing.

Take it from an old person, one day you're too young and the next you're too old. If i worried what others say I should or shouldn't do at a certain age, I would never have gone back to college at 30, and again at 50.

I'd much rather be considered too young than too old, so enjoy it while you can. And anyway, if you look at some prominent prodigies, you'll feel like your life has already passed you by.

As a teacher once told writer Ben Shapiro, who at 17 had to have his parents sign his contract for his nationally syndicated column, "Don't let 'prodigy' be written on your tombstone." You feel different or special at 16 but in 2 years you're just another adult and your precociousness matters naught.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join