It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Thirst For Knowledge... As A Teenager

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Recently, I had a profound revelation; there is so much to be learned, and not enough time in which to learn it. The trouble is... I'm sixteen. For some reason, people my age who have deep thoughts like this are often scorned as show-offs - as if we're just saying that to come across as "look at me, I'm an intellectual!"

I'm not an intellectual person. I don't think I'm smarter or better than anyone. But I do have this burning desire to learn as much as I can about interesting things. I've been reading about philosophy, psychology, astronomy, a little bit about weather systems... for some reason, it doesn't seem to satisfy me. It's like there's this huge void in my head that just isn't being filled.

So I was wondering - do any of you share this insatiable thirst for knowledge? And why on earth am I even bothering with all this at my age? I feel as if I'm thinking too deeply about things sooner than I should be.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I would be thankful you can see past all the bull. It could be worse. You could be into reality TV or obsessive about some sportball game.

Just do what makes you happy and the right people will gravitate towards you. Don't worry so much about what people think. Most of the time people who are hating on you are just showing their own insecurities.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Bennyzilla

Now you put it that way, I feel a lot better. Thank you

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Tenebris

Ha! Another teen... 18 here.

Your post relates very closely to me.

It started when I was 12 when I rejected religion. Purely because I dont let other peoples ideas lead my life.

Welcome to ATS lets fend off the old geezers together

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Welcome. You're fine. Nothing wrong with a search for knowledge....at any age. You're right on time for you. Its a good thing. You'll be that much ahead.

And as you learn...learn to discuss something....and when not to. Not all are believers, and you can't convince everyone of new theories and ideas. And that's fine.

So, good for you. Never stop learning!

Good luck!

MS
edit on 9-10-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Haha we'll keep them at bay with hoodies and loud dubstep

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I am old and I still seek knowledge of many things. You never stop learning as you go through life. There is always something to marvel at or wonder about.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   

You have everything you need already!

Ignore any quips or discouragements against pursuing your education outside of institutionalized facilities.

Never stop learning, only victims of professionalized training believe that education is a thing (what I would call credentialism) to be acquired and not a perpetual process.

No need to rub it anyone's face though.

edit on 9-10-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: frostie

You were 6 when I joined ATS? Good lord!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with seeking knowledge at a young age. I wish there were more like you. By being the way you are I still have faith that our future generations are not a lost cause. Never feel insecure about who you are or what you feel you should doing. Worst thing anyone your age can do is compare themselves to others...It sets a bad dynamic for the rest of your life.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   

So I was wondering - do any of you share this insatiable thirst for knowledge? And why on earth am I even bothering with all this at my age? I feel as if I'm thinking too deeply about things sooner than I should be.

Since I was wee small, I'm the kid that always ran off to go explore, worrying everyone. Get out of that creek, stay out of those hills. Leave the ants and wasps alone…

You're late! Your'e shoes are muddy, you're shirts a mess, go wash those hands! Whas amadda with you? When I figured out there were things called books where people wrote down all their experiences and stuff, it was onnn.

Don't ever let the shallow minded, impatient, surface peckers distract you. It is golden to want to know more, know everything, know it all. Your mind is almost limitless, fill it with everything you can, it will be with you forever.
edit on 9-10-2015 by intrptr because: bb code

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I feel as if I'm thinking too deeply about things sooner than I should be.

Maybe not. Maybe we live in cultures that do not want people to grow up. Maybe our cultures stymie and stunt our development to keep us as childlike consumers. Maybe in a more reasonable culture ALL of us would be looking more deeply at our existence in stead of what will be the next big fad or who will be the next big entertainer.

I was asking these questions also when I was 16. And like you, those around me thought me odd. I am now 68
If I could tell my 16 year old self a couple of things they would be this. Do not let my 'internal' thinking separate me from those around me. Keep my head on an even keel and be involved in the 'whole' world around me. Enjoy the enjoyable.

But keep studying. Do not let your 'everyday' person get lost in the 'mental world'. And this. The truth you may need at 16 may not be the truth that you need at 20 or 30 etc.

And that void in your head? Sooner or later it will go away. It may be that what you think of as a void is merely a chamber for your self to grow into.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

First and foremost, I call shenanigans on your distancing from the "ego stroking" nature of the statements in the OP.

That said, nothing wrong with recognizing these things in yourself. Just don't buy into it.

As a teen, we didn't have internet. So I did the next best thing: encyclopedias. We had a full set, my grandmother had 2 sets, and an uncle had a full set of The Book Of Knowledge (an encyclopedia). I read all of them cover to cover a few times over my child hood. Time Life books....i must have consumed everything printed prior to 1992. I was a voracious consumer of knowledge. While I don't have a photographic or didactic memory, I have a fairly remarkable memory.

With this i was able to memorize facts. And oh boy do I know a lot of facts. I chew through trivia games like a colony of termites. Crosswords become mostly question and answer. Its all facts, which are easy.

What I didn't give enough attention to was logic. HOW to think was something that eluded me until my adulthood. Even now I still struggle with eradicating fallacious logic from my thoughts, and i've practiced it for 20 some odd years.

I recommend you spend time studying HOW to think, not WHAT to think. Facts are great, but they won't solve problems for you.

Im 43 next month, and 16 seems like yesterday to me.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I wish you lived around me. My daughter and her friends all think about things like you do. It isn't that rare, but the mouth breathers who worry about popularity and status keep it underground.

Sadly, things don't change much when you get older.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I'd still like to distance myself from any accusations of "ego stroking"
The only thing I recognise in myself is wanting desperately to learn, well, stuff. I see where you're coming from, though

Also, thank you for your recommendation on first learning how to think. I never really thought about it that way! (no pun intended
)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Thinking is Lego for the brain.

I dunno...have you tried creative writing? brainstorming always fires my neurons.

edit on 9-10-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Entirely normal.

You just haven't found that one topic that will be the thing that really interests you.

It's good that you are reading a bit about everything, keep it up. The only way to find happiness in your personal life and your professional life when it starts, is going to be knowing who you are and what your interests are.

Make a life and not a living one of my favourite songs says.

Seems like you are on the right path

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Just keep reading everything and anything; popular science books, online websites. Maybe even set up a blog describing all the books and articles you have read as well as any projects you have done; anything from programming to photography.

This is a really inspiring website (The Cloud Appreciation Society)
cloudappreciationsociety.org...

If you want to know more about weather systems, meteorology, fluid dynamics, physics (maybe even astro-physics) is the direction to go.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

You young whippersnappers have it all backwards. When I was 18, I knew it all. I've spent the last forty years slowly forgetting it all.

What were we talking about? I like my dogs.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Just don't be fooled when people (including yourself) try to tell you that one source of knowledge is acceptable while another is not.

Whoever does that is trying to control you. Every time. Never forget it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join