It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Ends Pentagon Program to Train Syrian Rebels

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Dutch MSM made this quote on the subject...

""The Syrian rebels have so far not been able to get that can withstand a significant army of Islamic State (IS) .""

the hypocrits.....they keep it out of the new's that the rebels were only fighting against the syrian gov.

www.nu.nl...

a reply to: FormOfTheLord

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
a reply to: spy66

People should really look into what this lethal aid is all about. You might find out where all the white Toyotas come from that both FSA and ISIL are using.

And the Kalashnikovs?

From Yugoslava. From the civial war from 1991.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 04:37 PM
link   
What the rebels want are real weapons. Not training and old Russian junk. Sort of like Ukraine. Add to that the fact that US dithered around forever trying to vet every single person. This people are fighting a dictator on one side and radical Islamist on the other, both of whom have no problem slaughtering disloyal civilians. The rebels are not going to sit around filling out paper work and then wait for training and then be handed some cold war Russian small arms. They got those already and so instead just head of into the fight. On top of that refusal of the US to allow anybody to bomb Assad and take and ISIS first approach also annoys the rebels fighting on those fronts.

Of course for the US it is a question of the future, if you really arms the rebels then when Assad and ISIS both fall those weapons will be used in a fight for power between all the remaining rebel factions.

To make matters worse the Free Syrian Army and its Kurdish allies are made up of several factions who have almost nothing in common other than a hate for Assad and ISIS. And they all get support from different people, some the Turkmen brigade from Turkey, some from the West and some from the Gulf States.

Then you have ISIS and it allied factions. Whom while they have not have been slowed to a crawl still present a formidable force.

Then you have Al Nursa and Al Quida and their allied factions. These guys a like the jackles, they watch Assad and ISIS and the Rebels all fight each other and an region and when they have weakened each other they move in against each faction one at a time. No a major threat but certainly dangerous.

Then you have Assad who is afraid to send most of what is left of his own Army into battle for fear of more defections so instead depends upon the Alawites in his army, Hezbollah, Iran and now Russia to do his fighting. It seem one of the main reasons Russia moved when it did was because the Alawites are close to turning on Assad because they have had to sacrifice so many men because the rest of the Army is disloyal, and rebels were moving Alawite lands while Assad did nothing. Now that Russia has come in they have moved to secure those lands and try and smooth things over as with the Alawites Assads would no supporter from Syria.

Than you have other random factions, some regional or town militias, the Druze who seem to getting Israeli assistance to keep a buffer zone between ISIS and Israel in the south, then you have other random Jihadist from small groups loyal to nobody, and you even have Bedouins fighting whomever gets in their way.

And that is the simple version of the war. Once you get into the different factions things get much more complex. For the West you either have to go all in arm all the opposition or arm none of them. Trying to do it cautiously sounds good but is just not possible.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles

No, it's a waste of time. So was Libya and Iraq, in fact any and all operations are mostly a waste of time and resources in the Middle East. I'm sorry for the people but its not our fight. What a coincidence we only really fight in the Middle East but there are evil leaders all over the world we don't even talk about.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Ok here is some more news on the training program ending.

US scraps Syria rebels training program report

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Here is an interesting take on the end of funding for the terrorists. . . .

The Obama’s administration’s farcical war against Syria adds another chapter as the hand full of men they trained at $6.25 Million each go to ISIS and Rand Paul points out that a no-fly zone in Syria “could lead to World War III”.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Ending a program that should never have been started in the first place? Well, I guess that's something... not much... but something.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Fox news reports on the situation, its a total failure!

Syria Obama's $500M legacy of failure

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: FormOfTheLord

www.nytimes.com...

LONDON — The Obama administration has ended the Pentagon’s $500 million program to train and equip Syrian rebels, administration officials said on Friday, in an acknowledgment that the beleaguered program had failed to produce any kind of ground combat forces capable of taking on the Islamic State in Syria.

Madness. So, instead of spending $500 million to train, they are going to use that money to buy weapons for the rebels instead.

Did Obama not hear President Assad say "Anybody that takes up a weapon against the Syrian Government is defined to be a terrorist, and all terrorists will be treated exactly the same, with no distinctions between who is ISIS and who is opposition?"

So, all that's going to happen here is "Obama gives weapons to Syrians, who then become terrorists in the eyes of Assad because they hold weapons, and then that, in turn, justifies Russia to bomb them out of existence."

If you want to kill a Syrian, just hand him a gun.

Assad was very clear, anyone who opposes the Government must do so through the proper channels, challenge through debate and dialog and the Constitutionally sanctioned political process.

So, unless America plans to protect those Syrians, from Russian attack, don't give them any weapons.

Sometimes I think the world has gone mad, and I'm the only sane person.

Or, am I missing something important here?

*ED : ok, I see, they are going to give them "ammunition" for weapons.

edit on 11-10-2015 by AMPTAH because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
I find it funny that people here say fsa is the people, yet they only draw support from sunni arabs, minus the kurds, who are at peace with the goverment. That leaves a sunni population of about 60%, of which some, contrary to western media, still fight in goverment forces, and are not only stationed in barracks. Christians (12%) are also loyal to the goverment as many christian villages have been slaughtered by the terrorist, aka rebels. l think that rebel support is thus below 50%. Thats wht the so called revolution has failed, the people are not behind it. They rather want a dictator, as the alternative is extinction of the various minorities and sharia law. The sunnis are unhappy with the goverment as it is not sunni but i think that they are slowly understanding that the 'rebels' fight for western interests and not their own. CIA will ofcourse continue its operations as it has done for YEARS now (alongside other intelligence agencies), this news is just to save face
edit on 12-10-2015 by DeusImperator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
So this is interesting there will just be no more training, but they will keep on equiping the terrorists.

‘Why hasn’t it worked?’ State Dept dodges questions on failed rebel training program
Washington has abandoned its strategy to train the rebels in Syria. The Pentagon's announced it's pulling the plug on the 500 million-dollar campaign to build an opposition force on the ground - after just one year, well short of expectations. RT's Gayane Chichikyan has more.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I think I saw somewhere that of that 500 million spent there were 5 fighters left who hadn't left or joined terrorist. Good call by Obama, 100illion per fighter is well universally stupid.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

I think I saw somewhere that of that 500 million spent there were 5 fighters left who hadn't left or joined terrorist. Good call by Obama, 100illion per fighter is well universally stupid.

That's why Congress approved it.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: Reallyfolks

That's why Congress approved it.

Congress is just as inept and worthless as Obama Everyone with two functioning brain cells understands this. It took both to get it done and was a failure from day one.
edit on 12-10-2015 by Reallyfolks because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Yes, we are ending the 500 million dollar training program, because it doesn't work.

You know what will work though (and it's genius enough it never crossed my mind) ?
Seriously, there is only one thing better than a 500 million dollar program....

A 600 million dollar program !!

While the White House and the lawmakers are in dispute over the details, they appear to be in agreement on continuing to send military aid to the regime in Ukraine and the elusive “moderate rebels” in Syria.

Some $600 million has been earmarked for a program to support the “appropriately vetted” Syrian rebels, fighting against both the government in Damascus and Islamic State (IS, also known as ISIS and ISIL).

Section 1225 of the NDAA allocates $531.5 million directly to the Syria Train and Equip program, and directs an additional $25.8 million to the US Army and $42.8 million to the US Air Force, to cover the costs of their participation.

-RT (discussing the 2016 NDAA fiscal funding)

We were just 100 million off from success.

edit on 12-10-2015 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Best quote of the war so far:

"It would have been better to give us $500 million," Putin said of the aborted U.S. program to fund the Free Syrian Army. "At least we would have used it more effectively from the point of view of fighting international terrorism."

OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark.

Somebody grab a hose, because Putin's on fire!

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

Cool stories bro.

Do you have any sources or just that one script?

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Majic
Best quote of the war so far:

"It would have been better to give us $500 million," Putin said of the aborted U.S. program to fund the Free Syrian Army. "At least we would have used it more effectively from the point of view of fighting international terrorism."

OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark.

Somebody grab a hose, because Putin's on fire!

Wow he just threw a turd in the diplomatic punch bowl. Surely a Harvard guy can throw a witty dimplomatic one liner come back. If these democrat and republican clowns can't do anything else right they can amuse me every so often.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join