It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in university shooting in Ariz.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

Gun Violence: Facts and Statistics

According to the scientific literature, American children face substantial risk of exposure to firearm injury and death. Following are relevant gun violence statistics:
Guns In the Home

There are more than 310 million guns in circulation in the United States — approximately 90 guns for every 100 people.
In 2013, 1,670 children (age 0 to 18 years) died by gunshot and an additional 9,718 were injured.
An emergency department visit for non-fatal assault injury places a youth at 40 percent higher risk for subsequent firearm injury.
Those people that die from accidental shooting were more than three times as likely to have had a firearm in their home as those in the control group.
Among children, the majority of unintentional shooting deaths occur in the home. Most of these deaths occur when children are playing with a loaded gun in their parent’s absence.
People who report “firearm access” are at twice the risk of homicide and more than three times the risk of suicide compared to those who do not own or have access to firearms
Suicide rates are much higher in states with higher rates of gun ownership, even after controlling for differences among states for poverty, urbanization, unemployment, mental illness, and alcohol or drug abuse.
Among suicide victims requiring hospital treatment, suicide attempts with a firearm are much more deadly than attempts by jumping or drug poisoning — 90 percent die compared to 34 percent and 2 percent respectively. About 90 percent of those that survive a suicide attempt do not go on to die by suicide.
In states with increased gun availability, death rates from gunshots for children were higher than in states with less availability.
The vast majority of accidental firearm deaths among children are related to child access to firearms — either self-inflicted or at the hands of another child.
Studies have shown that states with CAP laws have a lower rate of unintentional death than states without CAP laws.
Domestic violence is more likely to turn deadly with a gun in the home. An abusive partner’s access to a firearm increases the risk of homicide eight-fold for women in physically abusive relationships.

Safe Storage of Guns in the Home

The U.S. General Accounting Office estimated that 31 percent of accidental deaths caused by firearms might be prevented with the addition of 2 devices: a child-proof safety lock and a loading indicator.
Approximately one of three handguns guns is kept loaded and unlocked and most children know where their parents keep their guns.
73 percent of children under age 10 know where their parents keep their firearms and 36 percent admitted handling the weapons, contradicting their parents’ reports.
More than 75 percent of guns used by youth in suicide attempts were kept in the home of the victim, a relative, or a friend.
Gun owners in a household (predominantly men) are more likely to report that their gun is stored unlocked and loaded, compared to the non-owners (predominantly women) in those households. This argues for better education of household members regarding safe storage in homes with children.

Assault-style Weapons

These weapons are responsible for a minority of guns deaths in the US, but have become the weapon of choice for the assailant whose intent is chaos and casualties.
In a review of mass shootings in the U.S., 62 mass shootings occurred during a 30 year period from which 68 semi-automatic handguns and 35 assault weapons were recovered.
In 2012, seven mass shootings in the U.S. took 151 lives.
At an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., Adam Lanza reportedly fired more than 150 shots in less than five minutes from his assault-style rifle with a high capacity magazine.
States that restrict assault weapons also have the lowest per capita homicide rates. However, because guns are easily trafficked in interstate and international commerce, federal rules are needed.

Gun Injury Prevention Research

Federal legislation passed in 1997 stated that “none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be used to advocate or promote gun control.” The vague nature of this law, and its 2011 extension to the National Institutes of Health, has effectively prevented federal funding for firearms-related research.
After the federal legislation preventing firearm research, there were 25 percent fewer publications on firearms compared to what would have been expected relative to other causes of death in children.

Pennsylvania-specific Statistics:

According to the Pennsylvania Trauma Systems Foundation, every year about 400 children under age 20 are treated for firearm injuries in the Commonwealth. This number does not count the children who die at the scene like most firearm suicide victims.
In 2013 there were 1,378 firearm related injuries in Pennsylvania; almost half of these were in persons under 25 years old.
Almost half (592) of all firearm related injuries in Pennsylvania occurred in Philadelphia County.
The firearm mortality rate for Pennsylvania is 11.2 per 100,000 people, slightly higher than the national average and higher than any of our neighboring states.
In Pennsylvania, 60 percent of the deaths by firearm are suicide and 40 percent are homicide, according to data collected from 2000-2006.
Self-injury of Pennsylvanians by firearm is fatal 91 percent of the time, compared to hanging and poisonings which are fatal 79 percent and 3 percent of the time, respectively.

Source: injury.research.chop.edu...

Facts speak for themselves!

Pretty neato how that source claims "According to scientific literature" in the very beginning, yet cites no sources at all.

I guess I could claim anything as fact as well if I had to cite nothing.

Yes...according to scientific literature, this thread is just another rant from another gun control advocate that is not from the US....

I do enjoy how you went back and highlighted the stuff from Pennsylvania....yes, by all means, lets base our research on a single state and just say that it definitely does not account for deaths that occur from suicide for children.....silly.

The gun control/regulation crowd can't show anywhere that homicide has decreased after gun regulation....FACT. You can postulate and speculate all you want on it. You can paste articles from advocates all over the US, but the FACTS are there.....it doesn't curb the killing rate at all.

In FACT, the most heavily regulated states in the US have the highest gun crime rates in the US....
edit on 10/9/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

There are plenty research done, just tell what you are looking for.

Some of facts stated there, I've already posted here, but if you doubt something, please post question and we can see if we can find it or not.

Just for your info and your 'fact production' - sadly, I am from USA and sadly bullying like showed with your post is my reality.

Everyone remember this little stunt??

EDIT:

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
So what is the key word there.....yes....PEOPLE. Fact 100% of violent acts are not committed by a gun.

I never said that the people had to have a mental illness, but I did say that 100% of violent acts are committed by PEOPLE.

The government does NOT block research at all, in fact they have even set up a Harvard funded program for it, which in itself is skewed because they use incorrect polling data and make claims of firearms experts when in reality they are researchers with no firearms experience.

There is plenty wrong and skewed with the data you cite. The sources I cited are from a program exactly like what gun control people are calling for in the US and it has been found, since 1996, that it does not work. It curbs no homicide or violence at all....it stayed the exact same and has since.....FACT.

You missing to see only elephant in room - key word in there is not people but - GUNS!

People without guns would not commit those crimes - or they would try but in less efficient way.

What happened in 1997 is fact, and that all your facts are fabricated by gun rights lobby.
edit on 9-10-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Anti-gun folks are borderline delusional if they think banning guns will eliminate the problem.

Humans are animals. Animals kill other animals with whatever means they have. Some humans pick the easiest and most convenient method at their disposal. Guns, bombs, fire, stone, hammers, knives...etc. If you think that taking one method away is going to help, you are seriously not thinking it through.

The propaganda that anti-gun folks have firmly rooted in serves as a very scary future where they have no method to defend against any type of attack. Foreign or domestic.

Why they want to get rid of this is well beyond me....

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: lovebeck

Well said! Just the media at it again trying to lather people up. "Let's jump on the bandwagon and call it 'another school shooting' ".

The media spin is endless.

I think actually media is getting tired of reporting gun violence...

Fact is that closing our eyes with problem like this one will just further fuel violence.

Killing has to stop, and mental health is not issue, as showed by research and more guns DOES not make us more safe, also showed by researches and our government was sold out to block those researches.

Don't you feel betrayed by government or you are used to violence as well and like to live your little fairy dream?!

The very first line of this response perfectly illustrates just how deluded your thinking is.

The media is tired of reporting on violence? That is without a doubt one of the top five most utterly absurd comments I have ever, ever seen on ATS. That's as completely ludicrous as saying Wall Street is tired of making money, the pope is tired of being Catholic, and the government is tired of pretending to look busy.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

There are plenty research done, just tell what you are looking for.

Some of facts stated there, I've already posted here, but if you doubt something, please post question and we can see if we can find it or not.

Just for your info and yoru fact production - sadly, I am from USA and sadly bullying like showed with your post is my reality.

Everyone remember this little stunt??

Yes....there has been plenty of research done and plenty of other countries that have implemented exactly what you are wanting. It has not curbed homicide rates. In fact, the incidents of homicide went UP instead of down because the number of deaths stayed the same so more incidents had to occur....

Show me a state in the US with heavy gun regulation and then show me one without. Compare gun crimes in them and let me know which one takes the cake for the number of incidents of guns used in violent crimes.

I have just shown a COUNTRY with heavy gun regulations since 1996 that homicides increased and all it did was switch from guns to knives.....but yeah, lets blame the gun.....

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: havokAnti-gun folks are borderline delusional if they think banning guns will eliminate the problem.

You could eliminate virtually all violence if you simply jailed all men between the ages of 15 and 40.

But that wouldn't be Constitutional.

Nor is the banning of guns.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Moresby

originally posted by: havokAnti-gun folks are borderline delusional if they think banning guns will eliminate the problem.

You could eliminate virtually all violence if you simply jailed all men between the ages of 15 and 40.

Totally going to remember that like for future use. Excellent.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Nah....they would just kill each other in jail.

Eliminate all people and you eliminate all violence.....it is the only way.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Reason gun laws do not work in USA is simple - they are not on federal level. All what they prove is just that single state can't solve its gun related problems without rest of states working on the problem.

Research shows that there is link between number of guns and violent gun related crime:

www.bu.edu...

www.hsph.harvard.edu...

Research also shows that mental illness is not source of issue with gun related violence

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

I feel bit sad that ATS seems to attract gun rights groups, and that you guys feel in majority here, but please just be aware that facts show that you are not right... and eventually we will see changes... be ready for them, as normal people are fed up with BS... we need gun control, we need it soon.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I feel bit sad that ATS seems to attract gun rights groups.

It attracts people who believe in the Bill of Rights.

I realize the Constitution isn't important to people such as yourself.

But a lot of us here think it's pretty darn nifty. And believe it should be defended.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

But a lot of us here think it's pretty darn nifty. And believe it should be defended.

Are you aware that you just green lighted all Muslim suicide bombers who also believe that 'belief' should be defended?!

Did you ever think that your belief might be wrong??

Misinterpretation of second amendment is what NRA worked so hard on, it is spread, but will be fixed, with speed of violence and gun related crimes in states, we will get into point where we can't close blind eyes just so that someone can profit. Not to mention that we can change laws, we did it in past... some laws, specially outdated one needs to be changed.

Better laws that will focus on gun manufacturers and distribution that will ensure guns don't go into wrong hand is all we need. Will take time, but we will get there...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Are you aware that you just green lighted all Muslim suicide bombers who also believe that 'belief' should be defended?!

Misinterpretation of second amendment is what NRA worked so hard, it is spread, but will be fixed, with speed of violence and gun related crimes in states, we will get into point where we can't close blind eyes just so that someone can profit.

Better laws that will focus on gun manufacturers and distribution that will ensure guns don't go into wrong hand is all we need. Will take time, but we will get there...

I have no idea what any of that nonsensical jabbering means.

But I do understanding the 2nd Amendment. And the precedent established by cases such as Heller.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Misinterpretation of second amendment is what NRA worked so hard on, it is spread, but will be fixed, with speed of violence and gun related crimes in states, we will get into point where we can't close blind eyes just so that someone can profit. Not to mention that we can change laws, we did it in past... some laws, specially outdated one needs to be changed.

The Constitution and Bill of Rights are NOT an "idea."

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   

But I do understanding the 2nd Amendment. And the precedent established by cases such as Heller.

Glad you support Supreme Court's decision, but I am not sure if you know that they sometimes would revise their decisions sometimes month or years later.

www.washingtonpost.com...

So think, what this eruption of gun violence might lead them to do for Heller, witch was 5:4 decision?!

Time will show us...

a reply to: Shamrock6

Where did I claim Bill of Rights is an idea?

It is my opinion that case misinterpreted the second amendment, and time will show if I am right.

With new research they might be forced to revise decision.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

You equated suicide bombers defending their "belief" to defending the Bill of Rights and Constitution.

Neither of those documents is a "belief."

So that would be where.

ETA - time and time again SCOTUS has interpreted the second amendment to allow for private ownership of guns. Even in the dissenting opinions of the Heller ruling, there was an opinion put forward that while the second may not necessarily require a centralized militia, the District's gun regulations were simply not out of line with the intent of the amendment. So yea, maybe one day enough left wing radicals will be put into the court to do something to outright ban guns. And then they'll die of retire and conservatives will be seated again and the cycle will reverse back to what the court has historically stuck with.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Glad you support Supreme Court's decision, but I am not sure if you know that they sometimes would revise their decisions sometimes month or years later.

www.washingtonpost.com...

So think, what this eruption of gun violence might lead them to do for Heller, witch was 5:4 decision?!

Time will show us...

a reply to: Shamrock6

Where did I claim Bill of Rights is an idea?

It is my opinion that case misinterpreted the second amendment, and time will show if I am right.

With new research they might be forced to revise decision.

You can't change Supreme Court precedent with "new research". Not only do you clearly not care about the Constitution. But you have no idea how it works.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Recent update from CNN shows, as many had predicted, that this isn't the traditional "school shooting":

The shooting overnight at Northern Arizona University was the result of a confrontation between two groups of students, the school's police chief, Gregory T. Fowler, said Friday. One student pulled a gun and shot four others, Fowler said

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:51 AM
link   

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — Officials say one person is dead and three others are wounded following an early morning shooting at Northern Arizona University

School public relations director Cindy Brown says the suspected shooter is in custody.

She says the first police call about the gunfire came in at 1:20 a.m. PDT Friday.

The shooting occurred in a parking lot outside Mountainview Hall dormitory at the northeast side of the Flagstgaff campus.

Brown says she doesn't know what caused the shooting and also didn't have any details about the suspect and victims, their conditions and whether they are students.

No other details were immediately available.

NAU plays a major role in the northern Arizona city of Flagstaff.

Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in university shooting in Ariz.

Yet another university shooting, not sure if it should be even in news section... we are just so used to this ... and rhetoric is - blame people, not guns, yet guns are what kills people...

Don't you get tired of this BS?!

Sure do. Guns all my life, and my kids when growing up, not a single issue. What the hell is wrong with these people who can't get their crap together and partake in unjustified shootings. Definately tired of these aholes and probably the crap parents who brought them into this world and failed as parents. Definately tired of it.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Misinterpretation of those rights given in Constitution is what actually got us in this place - that OUR kids are not safe in schools, we are not safe in public, our homes are not safe?

I know YOU think the 2nd Amendment has been misinterpreted, but it seems the people who actually wrote it had a pretty good idea what they meant.

------------

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Co-author of the Second Amendment
during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788

"The people are not to be disarmed of their weapons. They are left in full posession of them."
Zachariah Johnson
Elliot's Debates, vol. 3 "The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution."

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams
quoted in the Philadelphia Independent Gazetteer, August 20, 1789, "Propositions submitted to the Convention of this State"

"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence … from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurrences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable … the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference — they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States

Lets also consider some opposing views:

"If you wish the sympathy of the broad masses, you must tell them the crudest and most stupid things."

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler
Chancellor, Germany, 1933

All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party.”

- Mao Tze Tung, Nov 6, 1938

----

SCOTUS definitely has revised opinions in the past and it could happen in the future, but it doesn't seem to me they have misinterpreted the 2nd amendment at all given the supporting documentation that was likely provided.

Note that I don't live or always deal in the best areas of town where I live, but armed or not, I don't particularly feel unsafe in public or in my home. I take reasonable precautions and try to be aware of my environment. So far, it's served me well.
edit on 9-10-2015 by Thanatos0042 because: fixed quote, spelling

edit on 9-10-2015 by Thanatos0042 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Recent update from CNN shows, as many had predicted, that this isn't the traditional "school shooting":

Good that you recognize shootings as part of tradition...

It is just hard to describe how ridiculous this sentence sounds...

(source: www.huffingtonpost.com... )

This is our reality...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join