It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in university shooting in Ariz.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Your title and the article title are both misleading and sensationalist.

This happened in a parking lot adjacent to the University. It wasn't a "school" shooting. The perp didn't enter the building and try to harm people inside. This happened at 1:20am as well.

Like a few other people stated, it may have been about drugs.

Where I live, there is a HUGE apartment complex right across the street from a large University. Also, it is low-income and riddled with criminals, addicts and drug dealers. There are frequent incidents thaf involve police, even with gun fire, but you don't see the media claim they are school shootings or even related.

What I see here is a propagandized piece of rhetoric that we know very little about.

Guns aren't the problem and never will be. Some people just want to take other peoples lives in any way they can with anything they can do it with. It happens all over the world, with or without gun laws and restrictions.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Nothing good really happens after midnight. I have shared this with hundreds of parents over the years.

Add a little booze..... whalahhha

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
a reply to: lovebeck

Well said! Just the media at it again trying to lather people up. "Let's jump on the bandwagon and call it 'another school shooting' ".

The media spin is endless.

I think actually media is getting tired of reporting gun violence...

Fact is that closing our eyes with problem like this one will just further fuel violence.

Killing has to stop, and mental health is not issue, as showed by research and more guns DOES not make us more safe, also showed by researches and our government was sold out to block those researches.

Don't you feel betrayed by government or you are used to violence as well and like to live your little fairy dream?!

edit on 9-10-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok
Guns aren't the problem and never will be. Some people just want to take other peoples lives in any way they can with anything they can do it with. It happens all over the world, with or without gun laws and restrictions.

Actually researches and facts prove that you are wrong...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ReadLeader

Nothing good really happens after midnight. I have shared this with hundreds of parents over the years.

Add a little booze..... whalahhha

Hey, I'm a night person!
I've been like that since I was a kid. I even prefer night jobs & shopping at night because big & medium sized cities usually have waaaay too many people running around in the daytime. And when I do long distance driving, I prefer to start several hours before sunrise. That way, I get to the destination as everything is coming alive.

I get what you're saying. But it also depends entirely on the city & community. Megacities like New York City and LA literally couldn't function if everyone believed that. And even in small cities, that doesn't mean the people deserve for something bad to happen to them if they go out at night. I actually think that should be a part of the women's rights movement, the right for women to travel alone or at night without being assaulted.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Then perhaps We'll agree that rather than pinpoint video games as the cause of Alexis's, Breivik's, and Lanza's rampage (s) , we observe symptoms of deeper problems?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

Heck at this point we just don't really know do we?.
I personally think the movie Fight club has a lot of answers, young folk are told they can be anything and have dreams of being rock stars and famous for whatever and when they realise they will not some break and they see being infamous just as good.

edit on 9-10-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I could NOT agree more!!! I preach to my female neighbors continually about saftey. I (my home is in a coveted area in my city, an old cottege type neighborhood ) myself have a hard time going g outside night or day w/out scanning the area first. Lol all this days of chasing bad guys.
at my age any city makes me nervous. Could not imagine living in LA or NYC...
edit on 9-10-2015 by ReadLeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Food for thought....

No other developed country in the world has nearly the same rate of gun violence as does America. The US has nearly six times the number of gun homicides as Canada, more than seven times as Sweden, and nearly 16 times as Germany, according to UN data compiled by the Guardian. (These gun deaths are a big reason America has a much higher overall homicide rate, which includes non-gun deaths, than other developed nations.)

Source: www.vox.com...

Facts are facts... and we can either deny reality and live in dream world where more guns does not mean more violence, and where gun control is essentially bad thing, even is proven to result in less violence and crime.

We should talk about this issue, sooner rather than later.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

originally posted by: havok

Actually researches and facts prove that you are wrong...

So that chart shows about 3.2 per 100,000? Considering there are more guns than people in the US, that's not too bad. Also according to the latest FBI stats violent crime is on the decline even with the record numbers of guns.

NAU weapon policy

Looks like another gun free zone.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — Officials say one person is dead and three others are wounded following an early morning shooting at Northern Arizona University

School public relations director Cindy Brown says the suspected shooter is in custody.

She says the first police call about the gunfire came in at 1:20 a.m. PDT Friday.

The shooting occurred in a parking lot outside Mountainview Hall dormitory at the northeast side of the Flagstgaff campus.

Brown says she doesn't know what caused the shooting and also didn't have any details about the suspect and victims, their conditions and whether they are students.

No other details were immediately available.

NAU plays a major role in the northern Arizona city of Flagstaff.

Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in university shooting in Ariz.

Yet another university shooting, not sure if it should be even in news section... we are just so used to this ... and rhetoric is - blame people, not guns, yet guns are what kills people...

Don't you get tired of this BS?!

Funny you moan about how we're used to this and rhetoric, then turn around and launch into some rhetoric of your own.

Yes, I am tired of people saying guns kill people. A gun needs to be operated to be able to function. Who operates the gun? A person.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Oh brother.....can't people quit with the political BS on these threads?

Fact.....100% of violent crime is committed by PEOPLE! Fact 100% of violent crime is NOT committed by any weapon without PEOPLE! Fact, if I put my guns in my closet they will stay in my closet until PEOPLE take them out to use them.

Fact.....gun regulation does NOT work to curb violent crimes/homicide. And here is some governmental FACT on that from a heavily regulated country....Australia:

Over the past 18 years (1 July 1989 to 30 June 2007), the rate* of homicide incidents decreased from 1.9 in 1990-91 and 1992-93 to the second-lowest recorded rate, of 1.3, in 2006-07. *rate per 100,000 population.

Murder is the predominant charge and has been throughout the 18-year data-collection period. In 2006-07, there were 230 murder charges, 28 manslaughter charges, one infanticide charge, and one unknown. The type of charge against an offender may change once the incident proceeds through the judicial process.

In 2006-07, there were 260 homicide instances, involving 266 victims and 296 offenders.

Govt Source

The number of murder victims fluctuated slightly from 1993 to 2007, whereas manslaughter remained relatively stable

Now, from 2008-2010, well after the laws went into effect:

From 1 July 2008 to 30 June 2010, there were a total of 510 homicide incidents—253 in 2008–09 and 257 in 2009–10.
These incidents involved 541 victims and 611 offenders—262 victims and 293 offenders in 2008–09 and 279 victims and 318 offenders in 2009–10

And here is the REALLY interesting part:

Knives continue to be the most commonly used weapon, with 37 percent of all homicide incidents in 2008–09 involving knives/sharp instruments. This increased to 41 percent in 2009–10.
During the period 2008–09 to 2009–10, approximately one in 10 (n=65; 13%) homicide incidents involved the use of a firearm; of these, only 14 percent involved a handgun. The majority of all firearms used in homicide incidents were reported by the police as unregistered and/or unlicensed. Overall, firearm involvement and in particular the involvement of handguns in homicide incidents, remains at an historical low.

Govt Source

So....knives are on the rise, the numbers have not dwindled, but overall firearm involvement is at a historical low....congrats on taking away the tool and not lowering the number of homicides committed...at least the guns are not there though.

WOW....gun control is REALLY NOT working here.....homicide incidents have gone UP and KNIVES are now the weapon of choice with murder rates staying right at the same pace as always.

Now...what is the common denominator here again...that's correct....PEOPLE.

Get off the gun rant....

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Food for thought....

No other developed country in the world has nearly the same rate of gun violence as does America. The US has nearly six times the number of gun homicides as Canada, more than seven times as Sweden, and nearly 16 times as Germany, according to UN data compiled by the Guardian. (These gun deaths are a big reason America has a much higher overall homicide rate, which includes non-gun deaths, than other developed nations.)

Source: www.vox.com...

Facts are facts... and we can either deny reality and live in dream world where more guns does not mean more violence, and where gun control is essentially bad thing, even is proven to result in less violence and crime.

We should talk about this issue, sooner rather than later.

Wow....citing the same skewed sources as others before you.....this was the same article that cites Mother Jones as a source.....but hey...no bias there right?

At least mine is from an unbiased source that has real gun regulations in place and shows that homicides rates have not gone down at all....

Funny part is that Australia, at the very tail end of that, has the exact same homicide rate overall as they did when the gun regulations were not in place. Too bad they don't have a homicide by knife column to show just how high it really is.
edit on 10/9/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Funny you moan about how we're used to this and rhetoric, then turn around and launch into some rhetoric of your own.

Yes, I am tired of people saying guns kill people. A gun needs to be operated to be able to function. Who operates the gun? A person.

No, actually we are on the same page here.

So to solve problem, prohibit person from getting guns and we're safe.

Yes, issue is with people who got guns and should not have access to them, and gun lobby prevented implementation of gun control.

Fact that we don't know who all owns the gun is just mind-blowing.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Less we NOT forget. ... 11 teens a day die in the u.s. from ....
Texting!!!!

www.textinganddrivingsafety.com...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Wow....citing the same skewed sources as others before you.....this was the same article that cites Mother Jones as a source.....but hey...no bias there right?

At least mine is from an unbiased source that has real gun regulations in place and shows that homicides rates have not gone down at all....

Funny part is that Australia, at the very tail end of that, has the exact same homicide rate overall as they did when the gun regulations were not in place. Too bad they don't have a homicide by knife column to show just how high it really is.

Care to explain links and research from this year on previous case, as that is not from the same source.

Please, note - USA government blocked research that links guns to violence!!!

Speaking about facts, you don't have them.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Here is some more government approved fact from a heavily regulated gun population:

Govt Source

So take a look and you will see that for the years after the major gun regulation was made in 1996, homicide rose dramatically. It then went down and is now on the way back up....it was actually HIGHER than at any other point AFTER the regulations were put in place.

So please explain these facts away if guns are the real killer.....

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Gun Violence: Facts and Statistics

According to the scientific literature, American children face substantial risk of exposure to firearm injury and death. Following are relevant gun violence statistics:

Guns In the Home

* There are more than 310 million guns in circulation in the United States — approximately 90 guns for every 100 people.

* In 2013, 1,670 children (age 0 to 18 years) died by gunshot and an additional 9,718 were injured.

* An emergency department visit for non-fatal assault injury places a youth at 40 percent higher risk for subsequent firearm injury.

* Those people that die from accidental shooting were more than three times as likely to have had a firearm in their home as those in the control group.

* Among children, the majority of unintentional shooting deaths occur in the home. Most of these deaths occur when children are playing with a loaded gun in their parent’s absence.

* People who report “firearm access” are at twice the risk of homicide and more than three times the risk of suicide compared to those who do not own or have access to firearms

* Suicide rates are much higher in states with higher rates of gun ownership, even after controlling for differences among states for poverty, urbanization, unemployment, mental illness, and alcohol or drug abuse.

* Among suicide victims requiring hospital treatment, suicide attempts with a firearm are much more deadly than attempts by jumping or drug poisoning — 90 percent die compared to 34 percent and 2 percent respectively. About 90 percent of those that survive a suicide attempt do not go on to die by suicide.

* In states with increased gun availability, death rates from gunshots for children were higher than in states with less availability.
- The vast majority of accidental firearm deaths among children are related to child access to firearms — either self-inflicted or at the hands of another child.
- Studies have shown that states with CAP laws have a lower rate of unintentional death than states without CAP laws.
* Domestic violence is more likely to turn deadly with a gun in the home. An abusive partner’s access to a firearm increases the risk of homicide eight-fold for women in physically abusive relationships.

Safe Storage of Guns in the Home

* The U.S. General Accounting Office estimated that 31 percent of accidental deaths caused by firearms might be prevented with the addition of 2 devices: a child-proof safety lock and a loading indicator.

* Approximately one of three handguns guns is kept loaded and unlocked and most children know where their parents keep their guns.

* 73 percent of children under age 10 know where their parents keep their firearms and 36 percent admitted handling the weapons, contradicting their parents’ reports.

* More than 75 percent of guns used by youth in suicide attempts were kept in the home of the victim, a relative, or a friend.

* Gun owners in a household (predominantly men) are more likely to report that their gun is stored unlocked and loaded, compared to the non-owners (predominantly women) in those households. This argues for better education of household members regarding safe storage in homes with children.

Assault-style Weapons

* These weapons are responsible for a minority of guns deaths in the US, but have become the weapon of choice for the assailant whose intent is chaos and casualties.

* In a review of mass shootings in the U.S., 62 mass shootings occurred during a 30 year period from which 68 semi-automatic handguns and 35 assault weapons were recovered.

* In 2012, seven mass shootings in the U.S. took 151 lives.

* At an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., Adam Lanza reportedly fired more than 150 shots in less than five minutes from his assault-style rifle with a high capacity magazine.

* States that restrict assault weapons also have the lowest per capita homicide rates. However, because guns are easily trafficked in interstate and international commerce, federal rules are needed.

Gun Injury Prevention Research

* Federal legislation passed in 1997 stated that “none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be used to advocate or promote gun control.” The vague nature of this law, and its 2011 extension to the National Institutes of Health, has effectively prevented federal funding for firearms-related research.

* After the federal legislation preventing firearm research, there were 25 percent fewer publications on firearms compared to what would have been expected relative to other causes of death in children.

Pennsylvania-specific Statistics:

* According to the Pennsylvania Trauma Systems Foundation, every year about 400 children under age 20 are treated for firearm injuries in the Commonwealth. This number does not count the children who die at the scene like most firearm suicide victims.

* In 2013 there were 1,378 firearm related injuries in Pennsylvania; almost half of these were in persons under 25 years old.
Almost half (592) of all firearm related injuries in Pennsylvania occurred in Philadelphia County.

* The firearm mortality rate for Pennsylvania is 11.2 per 100,000 people, slightly higher than the national average and higher than any of our neighboring states.

* In Pennsylvania, 60 percent of the deaths by firearm are suicide and 40 percent are homicide, according to data collected from 2000-2006.

* Self-injury of Pennsylvanians by firearm is fatal 91 percent of the time, compared to hanging and poisonings which are fatal 79 percent and 3 percent of the time, respectively.

Source: injury.research.chop.edu...

Facts speak for themselves!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

No, actually we are on the same page here.

So to solve problem, prohibit person from getting guns and we're safe.

Yes, issue is with people who got guns and should not have access to them, and gun lobby prevented implementation of gun control.

Fact that we don't know who all owns the gun is just mind-blowing.

Continuing to spew nonsense and then stating "fact" doesn't make it an actual fact.

Prohibiting a person from buying a gun doesn't eliminate guns. Guns still exist, and people will still obtain them. So unless you have a unicorn that's farting fairy dust and can magically make all firearms disappear, nothing else will eliminate gun crime.

Fact. (A for real fact, not a made up one)

Banning any and all guns does not eliminate violent crime and "make us safe."

Fact. (A for real fact, not a made up one)

For every cute little graph you post from a gun-grabbing organization, there's a graph from a gun-rights organization that shows the exact opposite. Your "source" is no better, no worse than any other. Claiming that everybody else is skewed or biased except whatever garbage you post doesn't change that.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Care to explain links and research from this year on previous case, as that is not from the same source.

Please, note - USA government blocked research that links guns to violence!!!

Speaking about facts, you don't have them.

You mean this part:

As a review of medical literature published earlier this year explains, 96 percent of violent acts are committed by people without a mental illness.

So what is the key word there.....yes....PEOPLE. Fact 100% of violent acts are not committed by a gun.

I never said that the people had to have a mental illness, but I did say that 100% of violent acts are committed by PEOPLE.

The government does NOT block research at all, in fact they have even set up a Harvard funded program for it, which in itself is skewed because they use incorrect polling data and make claims of firearms experts when in reality they are researchers with no firearms experience.

There is plenty wrong and skewed with the data you cite. The sources I cited are from a program exactly like what gun control people are calling for in the US and it has been found, since 1996, that it does not work. It curbs no homicide or violence at all....it stayed the exact same and has since.....FACT.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join