It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in university shooting in Ariz.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   

FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. (AP) — Officials say one person is dead and three others are wounded following an early morning shooting at Northern Arizona University

School public relations director Cindy Brown says the suspected shooter is in custody.

She says the first police call about the gunfire came in at 1:20 a.m. PDT Friday.

The shooting occurred in a parking lot outside Mountainview Hall dormitory at the northeast side of the Flagstgaff campus.

Brown says she doesn't know what caused the shooting and also didn't have any details about the suspect and victims, their conditions and whether they are students.

No other details were immediately available.

NAU plays a major role in the northern Arizona city of Flagstaff.

Officials: 1 dead, 3 wounded in university shooting in Ariz.

Yet another university shooting, not sure if it should be even in news section... we are just so used to this ... and rhetoric is - blame people, not guns, yet guns are what kills people...

Don't you get tired of this BS?!
edit on 9-10-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Sounds like a personal/robbery type situation and not "school shooting" like...

I'm originally from a crime laden city that had shootings all over the main university campus. On a regular basis.

Not every shooting is a terrorist act...

The puppet masters are really cramming this down all our throats and some are eating it up.

Edited to add:

What I'm sick of is the media and those in power using EVERY gun related injury/shooting to try and strike fear and worry into the minds of the Anerican people.

Case in point, this very thread. My phone woke me up because it push notified me bc if this story. I came to ATS after reading it just to see if someone posted about it and they did...

Had one of the victims been trained on how to use a firearm and also armed with a pistol? This is a different story, entirely.

That's what I'm sick of...That, and the seemingly easy way this Admin has had on their way to taking even more of our rights away.

The rights that were given to us by actual GENIUSES, the Forefathers who first fought for, and the real founders of, this once great country.

edit on 9-10-2015 by lovebeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Still a rare event. Maybe they should take security seriously at schools if they're going to make them firearm-free zones and disarm people and make them vulnerable and unable to defend themselves?

Disarming isn't working, maybe they should try something else.

Note they don't have seatbelts on school busses. Why? Maybe to expensive to retrofit a type that cold be released by a central location. Too much trouble to belt kids in? Why not pad the seatbacks at least Too much trouble.

Same with having good parking lot and entry security at schools. Obviously needed but too expensive and too much of a hassle to staff.

So the conclusion is that safety at schools is only as good as it's convenient.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Here we go again...another day in insane America. Instead of candidates addressing issues that don't have a direct affect on most Americans, maybe mental help/gun violence, our health care system, student debt, public education and being overly taxed should be the issues they address?

edit on 9-10-2015 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Yea to me it sounds like a robbery or bad drug deal. We didn't have dorms or whatever at my university but instead we had about 15 apt complexes within 2 miles that offered discounts to students. Some of these were frequented by the more criminal element at the school. Those apts were known for stabbings and shootings over drugs often...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Here we go again...another day in insane America. Instead of candidate addressing issues that don't have a direct affect on most Americans, maybe mental help/gun violence, our health care system, student debt, public education and being overly taxed should be the issues they address?

You know that your connection between mental health and gun violence is misleading and mainly served by gun lobby to avoid talking about real problem - guns and avoiding problem of gun control?!

Mentally ill people are more likely to be victims of gun violence.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

Here we go again...another day in insane America. Instead of candidate addressing issues that don't have a direct affect on most Americans, maybe mental help/gun violence, our health care system, student debt, public education and being overly taxed should be the issues they address?

You know that your connection between mental health and gun violence is debunked and mainly served by gun lobby to avoid talking about real problem - guns and avoiding problem of gun control?!

Mentally sick people are more likely to be victims of gun violence.

Could you back up that opinion with actual, peer reviewed evidence, or?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Yet another university shooting, not sure if it should be even in news section... we are just so used to this ... and rhetoric is - blame people, not guns, yet guns are what kills people...

I get tired of the BS politicizing that plants a soapbox on the dead bodies before they reach ambient room temperature, that's for sure.

Would you have been less upset if the victim had been stabbed, beaten or run over by a car? Or should the victim have been gunned down in an inner city parking lot instead?
edit on 9-10-2015 by Teikiatsu because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

I get tired of the BS politicizing that plants a soapbox on the dead bodies before they reach ambient room temperature, that's for sure.

Would you have been less upset if the victim had been stabbed, beaten or run over by a car?

Exactly. If that OP isn't chock full of propaganda, idk what is.

This is the new ATS and why I barely come on the site anymore. You'd think they'd (*** the trolls, not those who run ATS) make their posts/opinions a little less obvious.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
I'll wait for more information to come in. For all we know, the shooter was defending him/herself against aggressors.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: lovebeck
Could you back up that opinion with actual, peer reviewed evidence, or?

Sure, sorry, I was under impression new information is available on ATS as well...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Yet there is remarkably little evidence to support the link between mental illness and violent crime. As a review of medical literature published earlier this year explains, 96 percent of violent acts are committed by people without a mental illness.

Source: www.thetrace.org...

Also interesting topic:

Congressman who throttled gun violence studies says he made a mistake

More than 33,000 Americans died from gunshot wounds in 2013, and more than 88,000 were injured. Despite those figures, many lawmakers in Washington are staying away from the issue of gun control.
Player utilities

Back in June, we reported that House Republicans quietly renewed language that effectively bans the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from even studying guns as a health and safety issue.

According to Takeaway Washington Correspondent Todd Zwillich, the CDC ban on studying gun violence goes back to a government spending bill from 1997 that contains these 26 words: “None of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control.”

“That happened back then because the [National Rifle Association] leaned on lawmakers, saying CDC researchers were advocating for gun control when their results suggested, for instance, that having a gun in the home was more dangerous than not having one,” says Zwillich. “And it’s remained so ever since.”

Flash forward almost 20 years, and the congressman that penned those original 26 words says that the decision to include such language was a mistake.

This story is based on a radio interview. Listen to the full interview on the link.

originally posted by: Teikiatsu

Would you have been less upset if the victim had been stabbed, beaten or run over by a car? Or should the victim have been gunned down in an inner city parking lot instead?

Real BS is gun lobby and this kind of bully response. Are you serious??? It looks to me more like straw catching... learn to deal with facts - gun = violence.

Check this linky.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Too many are willing to blame meds also.
Has anyone ever thought that there would be more killings without the meds?.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Teikiatsu

Agreed. Still, we wait we watch we chat. Sadly, there will be another . . .

edit on 9-10-2015 by ReadLeader because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Really? Doesn't that fly in the face of the repeated claims that the majority of mentally ill people are no threat to anybody? With or without meds?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Based on the initial reports, this does not sound like the typical 'university/school shooting' type scenario. This happened at 1:20 AM in a parking lot that just happened to be on campus. Based on that alone, my first inclination would be to believe that there was some other criminal activity in progress here, and that the shooting occurred as an escalation of that. I'm thinking gang or drug related. We'll see.

And yes, OP, I get tired of the BS, except that as far as I'm concerned, BS is blaming an inanimate object and/or the innocent people who own them instead of the perpetrator and, in the process, trying to sweep a serious cultural/behavioral problem under the rug in that way rather than address the root cause.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Too many are willing to blame meds also.
Has anyone ever thought that there would be more killings without the meds?.

To me whole gun lobbying on ATS seems based on no facts...

Research shows exactly why we have more violence then ANY other developing country.

We also KNOW that USA congress sold our interest to gun lobby, and represent them rather then us.

They are also responsible for misinformation regarding guns and for killing all researches regarding gun violence.

And ATS supposed to be 'deny ignorance'?! LOL

a reply to: lovebeck

Misinterpretation of those rights given in Constitution is what actually got us in this place - that OUR kids are not safe in schools, we are not safe in public, our homes are not safe?!

It is easy to spot that last year decision about second amendment will change soon, but also that we, citizens might decide what our sold out politician's are unable to do.

Facts are clear, and they show not only that more guns means more violence, but also that money in politics does not mean 'free speech', it is just bribe.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I often wonder SSI drugs & video games.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   

The honest answer is they don't care about normal citizens. And many Americans don't care about other Americans, either. There's no universal feeling of "we"; there's more of an "I got mine so screw you" mindset.

That's why a lot of workers get pissed at other workers when they demand higher wages (Fight for $15!).

That's why a lot of people blame the victims of rapes & sexual abuse ("it's their fault for wearing blah blah blah or going out at night", as if clothing or going out at night is a problem that warrants rape as a viable outcome).

I could give a lot of other examples but you get the point. So when a shooting happens, many Americans just don't care. Think about how many American women get killed by boyfriends, husbands, or an ex. If our citizens really cared about protecting other Americans, we'd demand a "War on Domestic Violence". Or a "War on Child Abuse", since roughly 5,000 American kids are killed every year through child abuse & child neglect.
edit on 9-10-2015 by enlightenedservant because: lol i had typed "fight for $15" twice

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

Well said! Just the media at it again trying to lather people up. "Let's jump on the bandwagon and call it 'another school shooting' ".

The media spin is endless.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

No video games has no evidence at all.
The fact that violent crime has gone down since gaming started.

www.theguardian.com...

www.telegraph.co.uk...

If anything I think games relax people thats why I play em to unwind.

Now the meds thing is tricky, I do feel in the states people are given meds too easily.
Therapy should be used first before meds and is that happening? I don't know but mental health services should be increased everywhere.
edit on 9-10-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join