It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Microsoft License Tech Support" scam caller.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I received an interesting and somewhat bemusing phone call last night.

Around 8 PM PST, I received a call from an unknown number displayed only as "unavailable." Not usually a good sign, but I answered.

They proceeded to identify themselves as "Microsoft License Tech Support." They claimed they had "detected" that my copy of Windows had been infected by "hacker files," which had "disabled my security software." They said they could prove this by having me open a command line, and entering a "unique license key" which would verify to me that the problem existed, and that they would then help me "manually delete the affected files."

Obviously this was highly suspect right off the bat. So I asked, "How would you know this, and can you name the security software you're claiming is affected?" They could not. "Can you tell me what version of Windows I'm using?" They guessed wrong. Twice. They finally guessed which version of Windows I had on the third try, and I asked, "Which particular iteration of that OS would that be?" They insisted there was only one. (Not true obviously.)

They then began to become frustrated, and I told them I believed this was a scam and that I was requesting they not call me ever again. They raised their voice and said, "I think you must be new to computers, and that this must be the first time you have sat in front of one. I'm going to put a note here ensuring that we continue to call you every day from this number for up to five years."

At this point I had to suppress my laughter. "Good luck with that. I'll be reporting this number to the FTC, the FCC, Microsoft's scam support, my phone company, and blocking this caller. If you circumvent those steps, I'll report you to the police and my state's attorney general, as well." They then hung up.

So just a heads up. If anyone calls you saying anything along these lines, either hang up, or stick around for amusement purposes. But don't do what they ask you to do, and don't volunteer any personally identifying information whatever you do.

Peace.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:10 AM
link   
I had something similar. But he sounded legit, because he had an Indian accent (and every time I've called Microsoft they were always Indian guys) so I did it. He had me open some command window and type a bunch of codes in. But my computer seems like it's faster now..
edit on 9-10-2015 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   
What a scam . I have had these calls 2x in the last year. And I am in the Tech Support business. I love to toy with these guys . And for the other poster MS WILL NOT call you. You have to call them for support. They have no record of who you are or your phone number. Sounds like there is a big hack job going on in India. They take cookies from various websites that probably have spyware on them disguised as ads.Then all they have to do in a lot of cases is google the name or info and find your phone number that way.

And contacting the FTC doesnt help as they are international in India (using spoofed phone numbers to call you) they cant be prosecuted.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:45 AM
link   
These scammers are becoming tricker and tricker.

Oh, yeah the bank ones have been going around a lot lately too.

Often what the computer tech scammer will do is when given your computers info will lock your computer. Then the program malware installed will ask you for $500 give or take (sometimes Bitcoin) to unlock your computer.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: AceWombat04

Professional reverse troll. Well done!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04. "I'll be reporting this number to the FTC, the FCC, Microsoft's scam support, my phone company, and blocking this caller. If you circumvent those steps, I'll report you to the police and my state's attorney general, as well."

they dont care, the scammers dont care if you report them, and those agencies dont care about the scammers, this microsoft tech support phone scam has been going around for about a decade now in various forms, nothings ever done about it, no one really seems to care for the poor less intelligent who fall for the damn scams.

edit on 10/9/15 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I get these calls at least every other week, even though I now only have an i-pad.

It's always from an Indian call centre, but they always use an English sounding name. It's a scam pure and simple, I don't even engage them anymore, I let them explain who they are and why that are calling, then immediately put the phone down.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   

They're from India. They hack your computer if you let them.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT
I had something similar. But he sounded legit, because he had an Indian accent (and every time I've called Microsoft they were always Indian guys) so I did it. He had me open some command window and type a bunch of codes in. But my computer seems like it's faster now..

Ummm you just gave them complete control of your computer. Huge mistake.

www.wired.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   

I love hearing stories like this, it's just so funny what people think they can get away with. They go in specifically aware that they are scammers and they can only use their best efforts to guess information and to explain to you the exact issue with little to no physical evidence.

THE BEST PART is when they get mad due to their own faulting, not just because they're scamming, but because they have initially just state incorrect information and insisting even though they know they're incorrect it's right. Why are you getting mad if you put yourself in this situation buddy... Ah, scammers.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I had the same thing - while sitting in front of an apple.

Of course, I didn't reveal that to the blunt blade at the other end of the line - and after saying I was following his instructions, which included him frustratingly trying to direct me to the 'start' menu...on a mac
and trying to get me to open my browser by clicking on an icon on my 'desktop'

"sir, I have a cup of coffee and my phone on my desktop"

Long story short, 1/2 hr later...the pinhead hung up...

Å99

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Just had our weekly call from them every friday at around 11 am, It has become a game now who can keep them on the line for longest.
One hour is my best and that was spoiled only because I was laughing, the chap went on a tirade about what he was going to do with my sister which I politly told him I didn't have.
I have told them and told them to stop calling because it is just wasting their time but every week for the last year or so.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Loads of vids of people messing with them.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:05 AM
link   
This guy actually goes through all their instructions to show what they are doing.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 06:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT

Lol seriously?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Good for you
. These scammers are really becoming rather bold and ignorant. I have a friend who works as a computer tech. He told me never to click on any pop up that has a Microsoft logo because Microsoft doesn't operate that way. He also said any pop up that says your computer has been infected outside your loaded security app and offers a free fix, is nothing but malware or a virus.

Thanks for the heads up, and you spoke for all of us who are constantly being bombarded with these types of scams.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Unfortunately, I get calls from clients every month who have been scammed by these POS. They let them in their computer, and I have to go in and clean out the trojans, keyloggers, and sometimes locks they put on the machines. Never, ever, let anyone into your computer over the internet! It's a scam! It's always a scam! No matter how legit they sound. No matter how many phone numbers and addresses and certs they give you. It's a scam!

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: pryingopen3rdeye

originally posted by: AceWombat04. "I'll be reporting this number to the FTC, the FCC, Microsoft's scam support, my phone company, and blocking this caller. If you circumvent those steps, I'll report you to the police and my state's attorney general, as well."

they dont care, the scammers dont care if you report them, and those agencies dont care about the scammers, this microsoft tech support phone scam has been going around for about a decade now in various forms, nothings ever done about it, no one really seems to care for the poor less intelligent who fall for the damn scams.

No doubt. But it served its purpose by frustrating them at least.
And the more people report such claims, the more likely advisories might be issues by MS or others, which raises awareness. Which is also why I share such experiences online in places like ATS when they happen.

I did have the number blocked. Not that they can't simply use a different number of course lol. Ah, well. Peace.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I never answer the phone from an unrecognizable number I don't know..If it's something important they can leave a message.Anyway,yeah that's a famous scam that has been going on for a couple of yrs.Let me guess did they have an Indian accent?
edit on 9-10-2015 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   
We get them as well. The last time one called, her indoors answered and asked me what to do - I told her to tell the guy that "she was going to put him through to head of engineering" and handed the phone to me. Putting on my most devilish voice, all oily and slimy, I then replied with "Oh, yes, we know that problem. We've got a team of engineers working in shifts to get it fixed as soon as possible." The guy just put the phone down. Never heard from them again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join