It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Sun Revolve Around the Earth, or does the Earth Revolve Around the Sun?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Does the Sun Revolve around the Earth, or does the Earth revolve around the sun?

A question similar to this came up in another thread. Because polls in the US and UK have shown that from 18-25% of the population thinks the sun revolves around the Earth, we are not talking about just a handful of cranks, but millions of people who have this belief, so I thought a thread should be dedicated to this topic.

I happen to be in the ~80% of the population who is convinced the earth revolves around the sun. However, I admit that if you watch the sun rise in the morning, travel across the sky, and set in the evening, it does look like it's the sun that's moving around the Earth, and even the terms "sunrise" and "sunset" infer that. The following website and others claim that's what happens.

www.fixedearth.com...

The Earth is not rotating...nor is it going around the sun.
Today’s cosmology fulfills an anti-Bible religious plan disguised as "science". The whole scheme from Copernicanism to Big Bangism is a factless lie. Those lies have planted the Truth-killing virus of evolutionism in every aspect of man’s "knowledge" about the Universe, the Earth, and Himself. Take your time. Check it all out. Decide for yourself.
The old planetarium projectors used such a geocentric model to project what the sky looks like as the Earth rotates so the geocentric model worked for the projector, and it works for some other applications too. But there are numerous problems the projector doesn't have to deal with and I'm going to focus on these two issues:

1. Parallax of the star 61 Cygni was measured by astronomer Friedrich Wilhelm Bessel in 1838, which proves that the Earth revolves around the sun, and numerous other parallax measurements of stars have been made since. If the sun revolved around the Earth, no such parallax could be measured. Not only did this completely disprove the geocentric model but it also gave us the distances to nearby stars.
2. Lagrangian points can't be calculated with a geocentric model.

The Lagrangian points are not just theoretical calculations, we've actually placed objects in Lagrangian points . Here's a list of them:

List of objects at Lagrangian points

If anybody thinks those parallax measurements and the Lagrangian points can be explained with the geocentric model, I'd like to know how. There are obviously more issues, if more are needed. Here's a longer list of issues:

Geocentric vs. Heliocentric Theory Comparison Study

Some links for more reading on this topic, for the 18-25% who have doubts about the heliocentric model:
dealingwithcreationisminastronomy.blogspot.com...
blogs.discovermagazine.com...
astroblogger.blogspot.com...
rationalwiki.org...

edit on 2015109 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

Thread Mod Note....
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on Sun Oct 18 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Careful. Remember what happened to Skinner when he touched on this.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
im in the .00000000000000000001% that dont really mind either way to be honest,knowing which theory other people believe doesnt change that either....

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   
You are wrong beyond comprehension! BUT! You created thoughts. Legitimate thoughts.

+6 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99
You are wrong beyond comprehension! BUT! You created thoughts. Legitimate thoughts.
Not much point in posting something like "You are wrong" unless you explain who is wrong, why you think they are wrong and what is right instead. If you mean I'm wrong, does this mean you've got Lagrangian point calculations for a geocentric model to show us?

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

reminds me of the pareto principle

80% of ignorance comes from 20% of the population
edit on 9/10/15 by SpongeBeard because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

You suggested the Earth is the geocentric cosmos. It is not. The calculations we get from them are pretty interesting though.

Earth circles the sun, not the other way.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

If you mean I'm wrong, does this mean you've got Lagrangian point calculations for a geocentric model to show us?

Do you have celestial bodies to show me in the Lagrangian Zone is incorrect? That would be some big info, just saying...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Actually the Sun does revolve around the earth too... Just not as much and at a much slower rate...

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   

You suggested the Earth is the geocentric cosmos. It is not. The calculations we get from them are pretty interesting though.

Earth circles the sun, not the other way.
I think you mis-read something. My opening post says:

"I happen to be in the ~80% of the population who is convinced the earth revolves around the sun."

Do you have celestial bodies to show me in the Lagrangian Zone is incorrect? That would be some big info, just saying...
I provided a list of Lagrangian point objects in the opening post, which includes these:

1999_UJ7
5261_Eureka
1998_VF31
2007_NS2

To my knowledge nobody has ever demonstrated how those objects can be at those points using the geocentric model but their positions are consistent with the heliocentric model. If you want to be the first to show the geocentric model predictions for these objects, please post the math.

originally posted by: WP4YT
Actually the Sun does revolve around the earth too... Just not as much and at a much slower rate...
You're probably talking about the Barycenter. You might be able to make that argument for Jupiter where the barycenter is outside the sun, but for the other planets where the barycenter is inside the sun it's more like a wobble in the sun than the sun orbiting other planets.

edit on 2015109 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I am of the opinion that the answer to your query is neither does the Earth revolve around the Sun, Nor does the Sun revolve around the Earth. Rather, the Sun circles above the Plane of the Earth, along with the Moon and stars, encased in a firmament which covers the earth like a dome covers a snow globe.

Light and shadows also give me cause to disbelieve a heliocentric placement of the earth.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Surely the view the sun and indeed everything revolves around the earth which is in the centre of the universe etc is the religious one which the church pushed trying to make us the most important thing in God's creation. Obviously a few got themselves burned for questioning it but its hardly the case today. My grand daughter was shown our solar system and the idea that the planets revolve around the sum at school the other day, she's five so it goes in early.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: occrest
I am of the opinion that the answer to your query is neither does the Earth revolve around the Sun, Nor does the Sun revolve around the Earth. Rather, the Sun circles above the Plane of the Earth, along with the Moon and stars, encased in a firmament which covers the earth like a dome covers a snow globe.

Light and shadows also give me cause to disbelieve a heliocentric placement of the earth.

That idea of a flat earth is pretty retarded. Anyone that's flown in a plane can clearly see the curvature with their own eyes.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
Derrr . The sun goes around in circles around earth really really quick , that's how we get day and night . Occasionally the sun hits the moon , that's called a solar eclipse .

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
A star has a huge sphere of influence, if you will pardon the pun, and from what I have personally learned, it creates gravity rings just like a rock dropped into a pond creates circular ripples that glide outward, only with a star, those rings are frozen in time (metaphorically speaking, and stay in place. That creates a ring or gravity trough where a planet will naturally take residence at. All the planets reside in the orbit gravity trough that the gravity force from our star Sol provides. Just like the Lagrangian points which exist because of other body forces like planets and moons. These orbit paths are the natural result of mass displacing empty three dimensional space, and the coinciding gravity troughs that are there because of that space displacement. So,

Our sun doesn't move in relation to all the planets, because if it did, all the planets would be pitched off into oblivion from all the broken chains of gravity ,, so to speak. I can only envision all our planets orbit the sun, and the sun orbits the center of the galaxy, and all the planets do what the gravity of the sun allow them to naturally.
The planets are like handcuffed to the sun's gravitational influence and they don't resist that bond, they want to be there because they are held their by gravity.

I wonder if a gigantic hand reached out and pulled the earth out from the sun a little bit, would it try to snap back in place like it was being held by rubber bands? I would say yes, but then who knows what else would happen. It wouldn't be good for life forms.

I hope you don't actually think the sun goes around the earth. That is ludicrous in the extreme. Thousands of space scientists agree with my view, or rather, I agree with theirs.
Stan Deyo describes These theories in much better lucid detail. and all the space science textbooks of the modern world agree with those models.

edit on 9-10-2015 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: occrest
In order for that model to be true, all satellites would have to be fake, and even the ISS which you can see yourself orbiting overhead couldn't happen. Or how do you explain the ISS passing overhead?

Light and shadows also give me cause to disbelieve a heliocentric placement of the earth. [/yvid]
There are numerous problems with that but the biggest is it shows the Earth's axis with zero tilt. The Earth's axis is tilted by about 23 degrees, which explains the 6 month days and nights in polar regions. Of course if the Earth's tilt was zero as your video shows, that wouldn't happen, but the tilt is not zero.

The point about the Polaris is interesting, but remember it's about 400 light years away so the Earth and sun can move quite a distance without affecting the perspective of Polaris. Over thousands of years it adds up though and thousands of years ago Polaris wasn't the north star and thousands of years into the future it won't be. So what the video says doesn't happen about the north star shifting actually does happen, it just takes a long time compared to a human lifetime.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I am at a loss here. Seems to me that anyone in this day and age who believes that the sun revolves around the earth will not be very impressed with Paralax, Lagrangian points. or geocentric models.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT
I have flown a few times, and never saw a curve.

Even NASA, in their document "Derivation and Definition of a Linear Aircraft Model", on page 30, concludes their study 'Flying in a stationary atmosphere over a flat, non-rotating earth." Link to NASA pdf.

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: occrest

Go get yourself a weather balloon for around $50. Attach a GoPro camera and a GPS tracker. Notify the FAA to create a NOTAM prior to launch and see for yourself.

edit on 10/9/2015 by EternalSolace because: Clarity

posted on Oct, 9 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

First, flat earth ...

You can walk on a plain, and see the mountains rise in front of you, and sink behind you.

You can sail the ocean, and see the land sink behind you and rise in front of you.

Second, rotation of the earth ...

If the sun and moon were in perfect opposite rotation around the earth ... we wouldn't have the moon block the sun.

Of course, the obvious in proof would be to walk the path of the sun to prove it was round. However, if the Sun rotates the flat earth, that isn't possible. So, in this case, do the opposite ... at a given time, go to perfect east (or west) from the sun. In one direction, you should enter the "24 hour sun" period, and the other ... you should reach the edge of the earth. :-)

edit on 9/10/2015 by bjarneorn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join