It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCarthy withdraws from speaker race, vote postponed

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Agreed. Totally rudderless.

How is that possible though when they have the mandate? Do compelling conservative leaders simply prefer the private sector?

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: yeahright
Well if not Kim Kardashian, maybe Kim Davis? Don't get me wrong, I find both equally laughable.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: Blazemore2000
I'm pretty sure, at this point, that Republican leadership is a myth.

Except of course the majority in the House represents the majority of the population.

Seeing how it was the smallest voter turn out since WW2 it hardly represents the majority of the nation.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

The governorships can't be discounted though.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think it's funny and at the same time sad, that white conservatives in the republican congress are the most inarticulate, nonsensical, and rudest legislatures that are suppose to represent American exceptionalism.....and they are in the majority???......geez

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I did not catch their name, but didn't a fellow member of the House send an open letter to "those who were seeking leadership offices" to with draw from these positions if they had any "bagage" which they did not want exposed?

This was mentioned on one of the talking head shows last night. I wish now I had been paying attention

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Except of course the majority in the House represents the majority of the population.

of course it doesn't.....show us any proof of that statement....I'll give you clue on where to start your search...."gerrymandering"

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

a reply to: xuenchen

Which doesn't say much for the average intelligence of the population.

It also doesn't refute their blatant inability to lead. Lead a country? They can't even lead themselves.

Oh please.

I have heard for the last 7 years how GOP critics thinks they are smarter than everyone else..

Fact remains seven years later I still haven't seen it proven.

On topic:

It's the Clinton 'gaffe' i why he is withdrawing.

Gave the left ammo.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Is Tom Delay still in jail? Maybe he could whip the unruly crew into shape..

hey good news!! his conviction was overturned!! if it's true that he doesn't have to be an elected representative, well, bring him back!! Heck bring back his friends also, just trade them for the do nothing crew we have now. Never really agreed much with the guy, but hey, he did manage to get things done, even if I didn't agree with much of what they did....

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

Seeing how it was the smallest voter turn out since WW2 it hardly represents the majority of the nation.

in 2010 and 2012 as well?

Oh, and read the Constitution too.

edit on Oct-08-2015 by xuenchen because: wacky

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
it would be rather humorous if the party was in such disarray and at odds with each other that no one really wanted to take the leadership role.
as it is, I wouldn't be surprised if that is why McCarthy dropped out. He just didn't want to play babysitter for all the little kiddies.

Quite frankly, I don't really see anyone out there, in congress, or competing for the presidency that seems to be a suitable candidate. I think it's the worst I've even seen it.

I was listening to Hannity yesterday, basically what I picked up from it is that no one supported McCarthy, they want someone who is much closer to a Tea Party person, among others they had the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_Caucus]Freedom Caucus[/card] on which is 40 Republicans who are all voting as a single group. They wouldn't say they wouldn't support McCarthy but if you read between the lines it was pretty obvious.

What's going on is the hard liners in the Republican party want to promote obstructionism and far right principals and they're not going to settle for anything less. The GOP is in a very real civil war and at this point it's almost a 3 way war between the moderates, the outsiders, and the far right. I wouldn't be surprised if within an election or two we end up with another minor party.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright
The rule is, "The House of Representatives shall choose their speaker..."

I've seen the far right seriously put forward Ted Cruz several times recently, along with bringing back Newt.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx

of course it doesn't.....show us any proof of that statement....I'll give you clue on where to start your search...."gerrymandering"

Read the Constitution.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Read the Constitution.

The constitution says there is a member of the house for every 20,000 people. In practice that has proven to be unsustainable so is ignored. You can have over a million people served by a single representative now, and with gerrymandering it represents population groupings much more than the will of the people, but because the number of people in each district varies you can't infer that more Republican house seats means more Republicans in the population.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

I've seen the far right seriously put forward Ted Cruz several times recently, along with bringing back Newt.

Cruz is a Senator. He can not be Speaker because has not been elected to the House of Representatives. He was elected to the Senate. I don't know why people keep saying these things. The House and Senate are not the same thing.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

originally posted by: Aazadan

Cruz is a Senator. He can not be Speaker because has not been elected to the House of Representatives. He was elected to the Senate. I don't know why people keep saying these things. The House and Senate are not the same thing.

because the same people who have no idea how the hell gov works, also vote..........

Thats one reason why we get into messes like we do, low information voters

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

It shows the majority of voter turn out, don't get ahead of your self here.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

There's quite a bit of gerrymandering involved in House districts.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
I think it's funny and at the same time sad, that white conservatives in the republican congress are the most inarticulate, nonsensical, and rudest legislatures that are suppose to represent American exceptionalism.....and they are in the majority???......geez

I am examining your presidential slate now ...

And I see an old white guy, and old white woman, and a younger white man who taxed the rain.

Gosh what a diverse field.

And none of them are any more or less rude either. Oh, but you might add another old white guy who is prone to creepy bouts of hair sniffing.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Khaleesi

There is no requirement for the Speaker of the House to be anything other than who the body of the House wants it to be.

It can be another member of the House of Representatives, it can be a Senator, it can be Jerry Lewis, it can be your maiden Aunt Gertrude.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join