It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Psychic Robot' System Guesses Intentions From Your Movements

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
This will be interesting.

If we are to have artificial intelligence assisting us in driving, working and walking around, it will need to understand not just what we're doing but what we mean to do.Researchers, at the University of Illinois at Chicago have created a system that does just that, albeit on a limited scale.

By carefully watching the motion of a person's arm, the system determines what the intention of that arm is — to pick up an object, for example — and can tell when that intention has changed or been disturbed.

"We call it a psychic robot," said lead author Justin Horowitz in a news release. "If you know how someone is moving and what the disturbance is, you can tell the underlying intent — which means we could use this algorithm to design machines that could correct the course of a swerving car or help a stroke patient with spasticity."

www.nbcnews.com...

Machine Intelligence will truly change everything and will simply be more efficient. They could have robot Police or Soldiers monitoring your intentions. You're car might monitor you while driving.

Google already says it's self driving cars have accidents due to human error. So a road driven by self driving cars will be more efficient.

I think these things will converge and will saturate society faster than the internet. People will talk to and interact with there houses, cars and toys. Kids will hold a conversation with their stuffed bear about math homework and it will be just like talking to their parents.

I do think these things are inevitable and we will be creating machines that will eventually be smarter than us. We will keep upgrading ourselves until we have fully assimilated with machine intelligence and who knows what humanity will look like at that point. We could just be simulations running on a computer. We could be a simulation now.
edit on 8-10-2015 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
One step closer to having a robot Psycho Mantis from Metal Gead Solid!

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The only reason that "self-driving cars have accidents due to human error", in my estimation, is that there are too many human-driven cars in play. Without artificial intelligence, there is no way human-driven cars and robot driven cars can co-exist on the roads. The humans, they are too sloppy and unfocused.

My hope is that we will get self-driving cars, and then we will be forbidden from driving vehicles. Completely. At least on the established roads. No more speeding tickets. No more DUI problems. No "I was texting and drove into oncoming traffic".

People really do need to be saved from themselves.

Fortunately, if we take humans out of the driver's seat, we don't need to make artificially intelligent cars that will eventually -- inevitably -- rise up and remove us from the picture entirely.

So... the choices:
1) Artificial intelligence to make autobots capable of driving alongside us, or
2) No human drivers, allowing us to have very simple rules for much dumber robots to follow.

I choose 2.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This pursuit and fusion of this type of technology for civilian policing is so f'ing dangerous, it's not even funny. Do these quack engineers have any idea what they are toying with? People will do anything to make a name for themselves...

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
This sounds like a real boneheaded idea. That one person in a million who doesn't do what the AI thinks he'll do is always gonna exist. It scares the crap out of me to think they're seriously thinking about putting this tech in charge of life and death. Or anything else. I don't want my refrigerator trying to guess what I'm doing. It's a refrigerator! It doesn't need to be complicated.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This is cool I like it! With a little time and some advancesments in AI we could write some new algorithms into our super computers and track humanity as a whole to figure out what we are doing, then improve on that by giving people more options to improve thier lives!

top topics

join