It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aurora Borealis Over Finland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

How cools is this? The Aurora borealis was beautifully filmed over southern finland just a few hours ago.

The Beauty of Aurora Borealis

The Aurora Borealis occurs when electrically charged particles from the sun (solar wind) interact with gases in Earth's atmosphere. Solar wind is deflected by Earth's magnetic field over most of the planet, but the magnetic field is weaker at the north and south poles allowing some particles to enter the atmosphere. We have seen mostly green auroras that are created when solar wind interacts with oxygen within 60 miles of Earth's surface, there have also been some hints of red light from the interaction with oxygen at higher altitudes.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Absolutely beautiful . I hope to one day see it in person.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Wow. Thanks for posting this. I too would love to see this in person one day.

Imagine how it would look without all the bright lights down below. Lots of street lighting there. I have never seen it so lit up at night.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Pretty, but it sucks...

I'll be flying and an aurora means we're getting bathed in more solar radiation than usual up at 30,000 feet...

You see wonder, I see wonder... and cancer.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

Had a chance to see this when visiting Iceland this past spring. Incredible in real life. Many pics and videos of the phenomenon you see are green but the most active example i saw was bright magenta and greyish white. Motion like a giant upside down bonfire from horizon to horizon. Trippy and a little frightening! It was easily my favorite part of the entire visit.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
cool....in the 80's we saw em in texas......Dallas

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Cool, though it means something is wacky with the magnetosphere.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

Yeti! I watched this on the news earlier and was hoping that I would find more 411 on ATS!!! Absolutely beautiful. I hope to one day witness this live...... thanks for sharing!!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

That sounds beautiful! !!!!

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
We saw aurora last night all over the Estonia too, people took many great pictures. And it was amazing, I was lucky to go outside just the right time- there were light green spikes and strong glow that filled half the sky and then culminated as a corona above our heads. I have never seen anything like this in here! Corona is rare in Estonia and arora is usually faint, only photographers get good pictures. But over the past years (especially this year) we see more and more aurora with naked eye and last night was really stong, like nort pole. Kp wasn´t even that strong and it came as a surprise.
Yesterday people got pictures of aurora from every direction, even south!
It probably is because weakening magnetic field, because sun hasn´t been more active, rather contrary.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Yeah, stunning show last night got me too by surprise! But not to worry, probably there is going to be even stronger show of northern lights tonight.

Got this from couple years ago when the season was at the end (location Pori, Finland)

And these below was the best i got yesterday (camera so crappy!)

But i did catch something what got my attention, does anyone know why there is such occurance in my pic?

From the pic

Zoom

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: menneni

Beautiful work mate! Keep that camera pointed at the sky tonight.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
It looks like Norway had an award winning moment when they caught these humpback whales playing under the lights in Norway.

video here www.youtube.com...

Simply awesome

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Level 3 magnetic storm is in progress. That nasty coronal hole of positive polarity is once again causing havoc in the world.
Headachey stuff. Not nice.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Yeah! The show has started as soon as sun got down.

This shot 5 mins ago from backyard

new topics

top topics

join