It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if you're wrong?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
What if we are?

Then we are. Since most of the world's other religions promote something that approaches either eternal salvation or reincarnation or something like it, I'm not terribly worried. There is little to make me think that good behavior will be punished even if it's done in a different name. After all, universal is universal, and if it's not, then whose teachings are incorrect and misleading?

And if there is nothing as the atheists say, then well ... nothing. Oh well, it's not like anyone will be floating around rubbing it in. It'll be done.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: openyourmind1262
God is imaginary creation of man. And I suppose one's imagination can take them to where ever they want to go. and meet whatever God it is they want too. You will never get the one's of true biblical faith ever admit for a milli second they could be wrong. Never.

I did. It only took close to 3 decades, but I had to come to the epiphany myself. I was too hard headed to listen to anyone else.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Then I live or die by the sword.

Walking on the razors edge is still a choice....albeit a fine one.

And if your wrong?

The question turned on it's head.....all part of the same snake or is it.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Klass, it took me about 4 decades to come to that conclusion. But when you look at it with logic it's really the only decision to make. At least it was for me. But this thread is about a what if we're wrong scenario. If we are, I'll bring the water, you smuggle in the ice. a reply to: Klassified

:
edit on 7-10-2015 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And if you were wrong and were sent to hell, would it be justified in your opinion?

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Klass, it took me about 4 decades to come to that conclusion. But when you look at it with logic it's really the only decision to make. At least it was for me. But this thread is about a what if we're wrong scenario. If we are, I'll bring the water, you smuggle in the ice. a reply to: Klassified

:

Deal!

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 02:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
Deal!

Guys, I'm pretty sure sneaking water and ice into Hell is a sin.

But who cares.. I'll bring the brewskies.

We're going to need them if Hell is anything like a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

edit on 10-8-2015 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid
As a free moral agent did you choose what country you were born in?

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr
Trump card that never gets answered.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer

originally posted by: Klassified
Deal!

Guys, I'm pretty sure sneaking water and ice into Hell is a sin.

But who cares.. I'll bring the brewskies.

We're going to need them if Hell is anything like a Hieronymus Bosch painting.

Ewwwww! Only the mind of man could imagine such horror.

Who's bringing the lawn chairs?

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
A reply to 3NL1GHT3N3D1:

We need to practice caution when it comes to judging others. Those who point the finger, have three pointed back at them.

Depending on the king, the fool may be smarter then you think...

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Nobody answered my question.

Might be because they don't think it would be justified. Doesn't shine a very good light on their god so they don't answer.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1
If you refuse to accept Jesus/Allah, would you believe God was justified in sending you to hell for eternity? Do you believe you would have deserved to be sent to hell for believing the wrong thing your whole life?

Nope, God would not be justified in destroying me for all eternity, or for torturing me alive for all eternity…

Based on these verses below…

Luke 6:31
Do to others as you would have them do to you.

Luke 6:37
37 ‘Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned.

Matthew 7:2
For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

The Bible is as you say; it’s wheat/truth and Tares/lies mixed together, only a discerning spirit seeking truth, will be able to separate the two…

I believe the above verses speak truth and of Gods righteous judgement, so I accept Jesus truth in them.

Many people/Christians will say those verses above are just about this life, i.e. in the here and now; but surely God must stay true, just and consistent, in life, as well as in/after death…

- JC

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecroft

Where have you been? I haven't seen you in a while. Glad to have you back!

I agree, thanks for joining in brother.

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:03 AM
link   

I find it rather depressing that none of the posts answer your question and instead proclaim their absolute faith in their correctness, so I'll attempt it as an atheist. People - take a moment away from your self-righteousness and simply answer his question as to how you, yourself would react.

In any example, I'd be amazed that "I" have continued existence beyond.

If I am wrong and there's a Christian god:
1. I would not be able to hide my astonishment and disappointment. I also would be immediately suspicious of what I'm being told. I would ask to speak with others, especially Satan/Lucifer to get the whole story. My inquisitive nature wouldn't end with the departure from my body. Basically, I would not accept it and get ready for what must be a most INteresting journey into Hell.

There are many Christian sects and cult differences - They would all be distrusted and contested by my spiritual self.

Muslim: VERY similar to the above, but with an aspect of curiosity at that point where I'd have to ask: "What's goin' on with your more extreme followers down there?" "Shouldn't you do something about that?" Again, I get the Hellish treatment because I just can't get behind that kind of supreme authority in any situation.

Hindu: I have to admit, I'd be a little excited about the possibility of reincarnation. Of course, they have that "whatever your frame of mind was at the time of death" thing, soooo hard to say "where" I'd be headed. So, if somehow I was given the chance, I'd probably tentatively accept this fate with an okaaay.

Buddhist: I'd be like "Yay! the good one's right! Still can't believe any of 'em were, but phew!" Of course, I wouldn't have a "soul" to respond that way, but if possible, I'd try to shed these icky human traits off as quickly as I could.

New Age: I'm eeeennneeerggyyyy. Weee are alll onnne! Some sort of general sucking sound would immediately follow I imagine as I converge with the Universe... or something.

Spaghetti Monster: "Hunh... ok - Direct me to the nearest plate of Divine Lasagna. "

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Where have you been? I haven't seen you in a while. Glad to have you back!

Been dealing with a few life issues, haven’t had much time to post…

My posting is going to be pretty sporadic, but I will be around from time to time…watching from the shadows (smartphone lol )and occasionally contributing to those who speak truth…

I agree, thanks for joining in brother.

No problem…your doing a good job here...keep up the good work…

- JC

posted on Oct, 10 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
Nobody answered my question.

Might be because they don't think it would be justified. Doesn't shine a very good light on their god so they don't answer.

I cannot answer your question the way you would like. And I will tell you why. I am muslim, and you said: "What if when you get to pearly gates you would be greeted by Peter or Jesus instead of Muhammad?"

Well, my answer is: I would greet them back! With my (muslim) and their greeting: Peace be upon you.

Because I believe in Jesus and Peter just like I believe in Muhammad

So, to quote a higher authority than me:

"Verily, those who believe and those who are Jews and Christians, and Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day and does righteous deeds shall have their reward with their Lord, on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve."
- Qur'an, 2:62

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

First things first, There might not even be an afterlife.

As someone who can be best described a unorthodox agnostic, I have no idea what'll greet me. It could be a hyper intelligent piece of toast, a toad with horns, I don't know.

Or we could all be wrong and we'll rot in the ground without getting a second chance. I guess we'll find out in the end.

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Best thread in a long time, and thank you for this time.

There is no flavor of wrong if you've tried to always do
the right thing, while doing no harm to others.

As for making an incorrect life choice of who's rules
you follow; I think the two (action and inaction respectively)
would pretty much cover any flavor. If the Supreme Universal
Power prefers a different flavor of righteousness, we're all
wrong somehow for using rules written somewhere.

I couldn't wrap my head around the S.U.P. being a rule monger:
I thought we were supposed to learn how to live here. Most
times being wrong is the only real learning experience.

I never admitted to being flawless in at least my thinking.
As far as eternal punishement goes, I couldn't think of
anything nastier than getting sent back here forever to
get my chops busted-- after not being allowed to remember
what I did wrong every time. It'd make us all Bill Murray and
prove "God" is a sadist. I'm not buying it.

What IF we're all somehow wrong, and notice it? Good first step...

posted on Oct, 12 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Who could even debate this?
The idea that there is another non-physical plane of existence is just to fantastic to believe. We can explain and see even the most microscopic things, we can detect things we can't even see, we can measure things that seemingly are not visible to the naked eye. If there was anything else going on beyond our technological perceptions we would know or have some evidence.

The reality is that we can "see" everything there is to see, and reality, physics show us that if it's there we can detect it even if we don't understand what we are detecting.
We are not living in the dark ages, when people had no other knowledge of the world around them, other than assuming things they don't understand HAVE to be supernatural, or magical in occurrance. We know "how" fire happens, we know "why" it rains, why it floods. We know so many things about our environment yet we still have people living in the dark ages...

"Nothing unreal exists" to quote a great phrase...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join