It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snopes IS Not a Valid Source (in my opinion - I would like your opinion too)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'll keep this short...

Is anyone else sick of snopes.com being used as a valid source that trumps all other facts and evidence? Has anyone else noticed a poorly researched claim from snopes.com being peddled as the official answer to a popular/controversial question? Anyone else notice how they don't have a comments section?

I see a lot of references to Snopes as if they are an infinite fountain of wisdom and truth when it comes to all things official but in reality all they are is a group of people using their biased opinion with complete disregard to anything that does not fit their agenda.

At best their "proof" is nothing more than circumstantial evidence posted on a blog and any other blog on ATS would be attacked due to it's credibility even though snopes.com has been proven to be not credible on numerous occasions but we are very rarely allowed to question their credibility as their links are used to shut down threads.

If you think they are a credible source, do a simple search with the key words "SNOPES CAUGHT LYING" and you will find multiple examples.

Regardless of them being a ma and pa operation who are wrong time after time, people still buy into their poorly researched claims as the word of god.

(part of me believes they are paid shills but I have no proof of this)

Nothing's more irritating than having a snopes link posted and all of a sudden people have the "nothing to see here folks move along snopes said so" attitude.

It seems that even debunking of snopes is not allowed on certain internet forums.

Please share your opinion on whether or not you believe snopes.com to be a credible source. I have seen many members use this as a source I've also seen many share my opinion that they're nothing more than biased misinformation.

Ha, rant over, I feel better already

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

I did exactly what you suggested before you suggested it because I seen it used a source and would have to agree that it may be that they get some stuff correct like Wiki they may not be the best place to conclude your research ,or at least take it as the gospel . glad to see the thread and shall follow ...

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   
There is a lot of mis and dis information on that site. Pity folks believe every word and even quote it as absolute proof of something. I refuse to go back there. Once upon a time , I found a complete misrepresentation of something there. I emailed them about it...you should have seen the reply. I thought they were joking......

BTW , I have called it Gropes ever since...that is what they do sometimes....
edit on 7-10-2015 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Snopes says all the sites that say they are inaccurate in their assessments are false.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Thank you for your reply.

I must apologize for being a hypocrite and also being guilty of what I accuse them of doing before I get called out on it lol. My OP could have been a bit more objective and less biased but it's a rant and I'm peed off

IMO wiki is more credible but not by much.

The reason I give Wikipedia.org the win is because they don't try and debunk EVERY conspiracy or controversial topic. Wiki is dangerous because you have both sides of each extreme sharing their own biased opinions with the odd unbiased edit (from what I remember of wiki at least)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Baldryck
Snopes says all the sites that say they are inaccurate in their assessments are false.

LOL!

I love those big bold red letters.

edit on 7-10-2015 by real_one because: removed the nasty part

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   

I'm under the impression that, like a lot of online organizations, those in power have a lot of influence over what gets published/reported and thus it cannot be seen as unbiased or the "end all be all" when researching other issues.

Insider trading on 9/11 for example - www.snopes.com...

They say the SEC and FBI found that there was no clear evidence of insider trading, well to me that means absolutely nothing since alphabet agencies like this are FAR from unbiased and i wouldn't take their word for it anyway.

I agree, snopes is not always credible and a lot of times they come to a "TRUE" or "FALSE" conclusion without having done extensive research

good thread OP

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

It's one source. It's not infallible. It's not half as bad as some other sites, like WND and Beritbart. It's always good to have more than one source.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Ahhh, "The Ministry of Truth"! OR "The Ministry of Lies"?

Funny how I just read a thread about Breitbart, and how they were racist and everyone on that thread who agreed would be perfectly content with believing everything they read on Think Progress.

We can believe we are intelligent by believing in a religion, (and YES I mean politics too) or we can be pro active in wanting to be knowledgeable?

We can blame the government for all of our problems, but in reality, it is those with money who control our information highway we call the internet and I don't think we need to be "intelligent" to understand that! But we do have to be knowledgeable to know when we are being used.

Left or Right? If you think either ideology is the truth? Good luck in surviving your future!

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I agree that it is good to get your information and do your research with multiple sources but I try not and promote biased propaganda such as some of their conclusions whether TRUE of FALSE.

I am in no way implying that you promote them, I just meant in general.

I've always filtered through the mountains of BS and came to my own conclusions.

I don't need snopes or any other "source" to make up my mind for me.

That being said, it would be ignorant to completely ignore their opinions.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

I don't trust snopes as far as I can toss a piano, I have always been a do my own research and draw my own conclusions kind of fellow. (Not to say I wont source stuff from others though) But snopes has been caught in BS "facts" to many times for my liking. As stated in a prior reply wiki is better but not by much, when using wiki look for the articles that site sources and check the sources too, no sources no likey.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

I'm not a fan of Breitbart but I will read it sometimes to find out what agenda their pushing. Once or twice I've actually agreed with them but it was on trivial matters, nothing I consider important in the grand scheme of things.

Snopes is on a whole new level of deception IMO though.

Left or Right? If you think either ideology is the truth? Good luck in surviving your future!

I'm way past the whole "Left/Right", "Lib/Con", "Dem/Repub" and all other labels meant to divide us. I learned a long time ago that all these affiliations are meant to divide us and distract us from the people behind the curtain.

Sadly many people have blindly chosen sides and closed their minds to anything that does not fit within their comfortable world of "freedom" and pop culture.

I try and avoid ATS for the most part during the election process, it's so depressing seeing so members who I respect bicker day in day out about which make believe party is better.

If I see one more "GO TRUMP! - HE'S NOT ONE OF THEM" post I might barf.

Haha u got me off topic...

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: real_one
a reply to: seeker1963

I'm not a fan of Breitbart but I will read it sometimes to find out what agenda their pushing. Once or twice I've actually agreed with them but it was on trivial matters, nothing I consider important in the grand scheme of things.

Snopes is on a whole new level of deception IMO though.

I'm way past the whole "Left/Right", "Lib/Con", "Dem/Repub" and all other labels meant to divide us. I learned a long time ago that all these affiliations are meant to divide us and distract us from the people behind the curtain.

Sadly many people have blindly chosen sides and closed their minds to anything that does not fit within their comfortable world of "freedom" and pop culture.

I try and avoid ATS for the most part during the election process, it's so depressing seeing so members who I respect bicker day in day out about which make believe party is better.

If I see one more "GO TRUMP! - HE'S NOT ONE OF THEM" post I might barf.

Haha u got me off topic...

GO TRUMP!!! Ok sorry had to do that, but only because you brought him up in the first place

(Did you barf??)

Sorry to go off topic.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I'm one of those who want to see you barf!

Not that I believe he can change anything, but that's just how pissed off I am with the left/right paradigm! I can't stand another 4 years of division, racism, Progressive Puritans, and being preached to how being born white is offensive!

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Not that I believe he can change anything, but that's just how pissed off I am with the left/right paradigm! I can't stand another 4 years of division, racism, Progressive Puritans, and being preached to how being born white is offensive!

Don't get me wrong, I love Trump's persona/character even though it's theatrics.

If Trump makes it into the WH I'm going to throw a rowdy block party.

We are so screwed we might as well have a senile maniac representing us on the world stage, can't be any worse than all the other puppets we were given.

At least Clinton did something fun, Ms. Lewinsky, ty for making my childhood interesting.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: real_one

originally posted by: seeker1963

Don't get me wrong, I love Trump's persona/character even though it's theatrics.

If Trump makes it into the WH I'm going to throw a rowdy block party.

We are so screwed we might as well have a senile maniac representing us on the world stage, can't be any worse than all the other puppets we were given.

At least Clinton did something fun, Ms. Lewinsky, ty for making my childhood interesting.

Well, then you and I regardless of our political beliefs are pretty much on the same page!
I am tired of the slow boil, let's get this party started!

link   
Triple post

edit on 7-10-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

link   
Dble post
edit on 7-10-2015 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I like to frame Snopes much like the FDA does ingredients..."generally regarded as safe for human consumption" equates to "generally regarded as true for discussion".

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   

I wholeheartedly agree. I find it very disappointing when certain Mods use snopes to stifle an active conversation and shut down a thread. It leads to questions of motive and integrity. I am not attacking nor defending snopes, since I have not had the time to research the accusations myself, but no info site is infallible. More importantly, why would ATS discourage any debate or discussion that does not break this sites T&C? Inquiring minds want to know.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join