It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do recent mass murderers have in common?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable
They all are on or recently have been on one of the many kinds of anti-depressants. One of the adverse side effects of these meds is possibility towards violent tendencies and suicide. The pharmaceutical companies of course don't publicize these although they are included on the instructions/side effects that accompany the prescription when it is filled. As our gun laws are under attack, big pharma is getting off scot free as to their liability in these incidents.

I live in Denmark/ Scandinavia, no mass shotings, mass stabbings, mass killing of any kind, Norway's terror attack was political motivated and Breivik was not on any medication, so it doesn't count in this case .

Now read this.

The World's Happiest Countries Take The Most Antidepressants

A new infographic created via Dadaviz and based on an OECD report suggests the moods of Scandinavian nations may be more closely linked to medicine than anything else. The chart depicts the relative amounts of antidepressant consumption across several different European nations. Iceland — not technically in Scandinavia but nearby — leads with 101 daily doses per 1,000 people. Denmark, Sweden and Finland are all close behind, with Portugal the only outlier. Norway ranks ninth.

From that we can conclude that medication does not create mass murders, but we can also conclude that proper treatment and medical attention has a lot do with how people can move on from their depression or other mental illnesses.
edit on 7-10-2015 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Mass shootings are nothing new. Remember the UT Austin clock tower shooter in the 60s I believe? As long as we've had weapons there have been nut jobs trying to use them to kill others. I'm sure some caveman freaked out and tried to stone his clan to death at some point.

I think what has changed is the following:

1) We have instantaneous media reporting the events 24 hours a day.
2) We also have popular life like violent first person video games where the entire point is to kill everything in your line of sight.
3) We have over medicated children with psychotic drugs and all kinds of side effects.
4) We have relatively easy access to both legal and illegal firearms
5) We have a narcissistic culture where everyone is seeking 15 minutes of fame

In a nation of 300 million people, we are bound to have some nut jobs who are a small fry short of a Happy Meal. However, when you consider we also have probably 300 million guns in circulation, you also have to be honest and admit we really don't have a huge epidemic statistically in regards to mass shootings. The issue is they are so abhorrent than the incidents stick in people's minds even though they probably are 100xs more likely to be killed jaywalking.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye

originally posted by: UnBreakable
They all are on or recently have been on one of the many kinds of anti-depressants. One of the adverse side effects of these meds is possibility towards violent tendencies and suicide. The pharmaceutical companies of course don't publicize these although they are included on the instructions/side effects that accompany the prescription when it is filled. As our gun laws are under attack, big pharma is getting off scot free as to their liability in these incidents.

I live in Denmark/ Scandinavia, no mass shotings, mass stabbings, mass killing of any kind, Norway's terror attack was political motivated and Breivik was not on any medication, so it doesn't count in this case .

Now read this.

The World's Happiest Countries Take The Most Antidepressants

A new infographic created via Dadaviz and based on an OECD report suggests the moods of Scandinavian nations may be more closely linked to medicine than anything else. The chart depicts the relative amounts of antidepressant consumption across several different European nations. Iceland — not technically in Scandinavia but nearby — leads with 101 daily doses per 1,000 people. Denmark, Sweden and Finland are all close behind, with Portugal the only outlier. Norway ranks ninth.

From that we can conclude that medication does not create mass murders, but we can also conclude that proper treatment and medical attention has a lot do with how people can move on from their depression or other mental illnesses.

I'm not saying meds "create" mass murders but taking certain meds in conjunction with specific personality traits and psychotic disorders CAN, not definitely WILL, cause a mass murder situation.

It's like cigarets. Not every person who ingests tobacco will get lung cancer. But a person with a confluence of medical abnormalities who also smokes heavily CAN, not definitely WILL, get cancer.
edit on 7-10-2015 by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

These are valid points. I wonder though if there is any way to correlate the drugs being perscribed between the two countries? I know from my experiences living overseas (mostly Asia and Australia), over the counter drugs were significantly less potent, and perscription drugs (for pain in my example) were nearly impossible to get. Here they're given out like candy to anyone with a little boo-boo.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

But, then you would see the same pattern all over the world, not just in the US.

The patterns are not there out side of the US, even though they take the same medication and in some cases more than in the US.

The real problem is the lack of proper treatment in the US, you get medication and that is it.

Often you get the wrong medication, it happens here too, i am a proof of that, between 10 to 15 medication over 6 years, only one has had an effect, i suffer from depression and anxiety.

The other treatments you get in Denmark is first class, they will not leave you unattended if first you have contacted psychiatric centers or psychiatric emergencies centers.

They will take full care of you, and make sure that you are treated properly during your illness, both in hospital and home

US lack that form of treatment apparently.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It is pretty much the same here, lots of "candy" hand out, the potency of the medication is given in more turns, starting slow giving higher if needed, but, read above for additional info.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
People seem to think Americans invented mass killing.....Hardly,

When I was a kid. There was a shooting at my Jr.High School.

The difference was there was no media blasting every detail with theme music.

I blame the media. They want blood. They need blood.

They encourage weak minded people to act.

They may not be the inventors of mass killings, but the do seem to be wanting to be the first place getter.

According to Wikipedia, America is at the top of the table (by far) of gun ownership by capita,with 112.6 guns per 100 people.

The Wall Street Journal in a recent article had an infographic of a Texas State University study that shows the US has more than 22 times the number of mass shootings, in the last 14 years, than the next highest country, Germany.

As Obama has noted, gun laws in the UK and Australia have made mass shootings far less prevalent. These countries also do not count the bearing of arms as a right.
edit on 7/10/2015 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

But, then you would see the same pattern all over the world, not just in the US.

No you wouldn't. The fact that guns are more easily accessible in the US by those with the perfect storm of personality traits/psychosis/med adverse effects, account for more mass murder shootings. Other countries have stricter gun laws.
edit on 7-10-2015 by UnBreakable because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

True...

But, as we hear from US members here on ATS, which is greatly agreed upon, the deranged killer would just switch to knifes, bats or bombs if they can not get hold of a gun.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
The commonality you're looking for is psychotropic drugs. ALL these shooters have been on serious meds to "help" them with their mental issues.

Like thousands or millions of other people outside the US, though they don't go on a killing spree.

As i have said before, the drugs are not the cause, the mental illness is.

You guys keep trying to blame the medication, though it is clear from other countries that med's don't create deranged killer's.

In my opinion this new era of psychoactive drugs
are indeed a little more involved than not.
Side effects read like horror movies now.
New strange dreams thoughts actions
and homicidal/suicidal thoughts .

Even if you just want to get some sleep,
there's a chance you may wake from your
butterfly sleep going 80mph down the freeway naked.
These are all actual Drug company
acknowledged possible side effects.
*And that's what they HAD to tell us.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   

True...

But, as we hear from US members here on ATS, which is greatly agreed upon, the deranged killer would just switch to knifes, bats or bombs if they can not get hold of a gun.

Then one person with a knife or bat couldn't commit a mass murder in a group setting. He more than likely would be hindered by the group after the initial attack. People as a group would be more likely to restrain someone if they don't have a gun.

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Forget the drugs. Focus on the shrinks. Every one of these young mass shooters has had some kind of exposure to psychiatrists BEFORE their rampages. FIRST comes the mental health ‘treatment,’ THEN comes the ultraviolence. It’s called mind control.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

True...

...but, they're not - because guns are more readily available - and the OP poses a question re: the commonalities...knives, bats and bombs do not figure in the equation...the same question can be posed for any single attack/multiple attack anywhere in the world...the stronger 'available' weapon/s will be used...

The salient word here, is, 'available'.

Å99

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye

I agree.
Has anyone thought If there would be more shootings without meds?.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: starviego
Forget the drugs. Focus on the shrinks. Every one of these young mass shooters has had some kind of exposure to psychiatrists BEFORE their rampages. FIRST comes the mental health ‘treatment,’ THEN comes the ultraviolence. It’s called mind control.

So we don't attempt to help those with mental illness?.
Sorry I have worked in the field and seen the good it does and yes that includes medication.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

One thing the shooting all have in common is everything to do with the "Gun Control debate", as the main stream media underlying point. It brings the forgotten gun control debate, which sort of died down for some months, and when the Syrian crisis took on the headlines.

We have another mass shooting, to once again bring our attentions back to the same "Gun Control" debate. Are you starting to pick up on the trend like others have?

This mass shootings will not stop until something revolutionary is done. Either you fight for your gun rights, or wait for a comet to reset the world stage.

The ball remains in your court.
edit on 8-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheShadows

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Are we maybe looking in the worng place??

I would say yes.

Stop looking at possible symptoms retroactively, and try to find things that we can address proactively so we can stop these shootings before they happen.

Such as the fact that the murderer had a deep hatred towards Christians? There is obviously a deep hatred towards not only Christians, but people of other religions as well.

Earlier this year there was also the Charleston mass shooting on June 17, 2015. Again, the deranged murderer singled out Christians. Likewise there have been other similar shootings, and the one thing these shootings had in common is the hatred the murderers had towards religions.

You can disagree with a religion, but going this far of wanting to murder people for their belief? You have to be indeed a deranged lunatic.

edit on 8-10-2015 by ElectricUniverse because: correct comment.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Just to point out the Charlestown shooter was a Christian.
It was a racial motivated attack.
edit on 8-10-2015 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

He hoped to start a civil war, but he also chose a Christian church for his atrocious attack. Where did you get the info that he was Christian?

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj
I couldn't help noticing that guns were involved, just sayin'.

Did you also notice the human and his finger, the bullet,
the shell the powder?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join