It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's MINE, not yours!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I've been meaning to post this for a while, and seeing thebigfatfury ones thread over HERE has made me realize I should do it.

Go anywhere these days and you get "Whats your phone number Sir?"

Me: "I havent got one"

Them: "We need a phone number so that we can contact you"

Me: "I havent got one, post me a letter"

Them: "I'm afraid we cant do that Sir, we need your phone number"

Me: "I havent got one"

Them: "But how will we contact you sir?"

round and round in ruddy circles!!!
Even if I did have one I still wouldn't tell them, because it would be MY PHONE. It would lead directly to me, directly into my PRIVACY!!!

Realising they are not equipped to deal with "I havent got one" I have started saying "My number is private"

If they start with the "But how will we contact you" bs, I ask "Can I have YOUR personal number please, just in case I need to contact you outside of hours"

What really gets me is the snotty look they give when they realise they're not getting a number. The most recent time this happened was when I visited my doctor, the receptionist said "So, if we want to contact you, we've got to write to you?"
I asked "Is that too difficult?" after a long pause she said "Thank you sir"

If you hand out your number you'll end up like poor old furry in THIS thread.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

I always give a bogus number...and the street address of the White House.

Works wonders.

Plus, if they ask for your postal code, give them a wrong one. It'll totally throw off their demographics

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

LOL

Plus, if they ask for your postal code, give them a wrong one. It'll totally throw off their demographics

I walk out of stores if I cant purchase without leaving my address.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Your absolutely right, businesses shouldn't be allowed to ask you for your phone number or other personal information. I receive a lot of courtesy calls and junk mail just because of this! The amount of junk mail I receive is unbelievable! Talk about wasting landfill space and flooding post offices around the country with all these mail solicitations.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

Your absolutely right, businesses shouldn't be allowed to ask you for your phone number or other personal information. I receive a lot of courtesy calls and junk mail just because of this! The amount of junk mail I receive is unbelievable! Talk about wasting landfill space and flooding post offices around the country with all these mail solicitations.

Junk mail!!!
I get some, but what I see my friends and relatives getting, well, I'm sure they could probably use it as fuel to heat their homes.
In the uk we can pop into our local post office and ask them to not post the junk. We still get the companies that specialize in this stuff sending their walkers around though.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: nullafides

Same here.
I even give them this phone number sometimes: 610-555-1212
The last clerk I gave it to looked at me and smiled, then typed it in. She knew what it was.
I give them a zip code for a place 110 miles away.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

Hah. I do the same thing, you cannot believe how many people do not know the White House's address.

I then give them Jenny's phone number, 867-5309 with my area code.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I've learned to just say no. Can I get your phone number? No.
Do you have an email address? No.
Cell phone? No.

If they say "I really have to have something, then I give them something. A made up number.

It's the least I can do.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Tell them they can contact you by getting an ATS account and sending you a U2U.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I just say no, sorry... I'm not giving it out. It's not the cashiers fault and it's a requirement of their job.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorVonDoom

Superb!!!
Best reply so far LOL

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Why not give them the phone or better yet the fax, number to their own business. If they need to reach you, it will be when you enter the store....and not before.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Just try to buy any big ticket item and pay cash - they still want your info. I bought bed rails once - bed rails - and they could not/would not complete the transaction without an address. Would. Not. Sell. Them.

I was so pissed because it was the only place for miles with bed rails to fit our antique bed, so I couldn't simply walk away from it.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I must live on a different planet than most of you... never been refused a sale for not giving info lol.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Just try to buy any big ticket item and pay cash - they still want your info. I bought bed rails once - bed rails - and they could not/would not complete the transaction without an address. Would. Not. Sell. Them.

I was so pissed because it was the only place for miles with bed rails to fit our antique bed, so I couldn't simply walk away from it.

I would have walked out, making a lot of noise

I've walked out on quite a few occasions, but I always make sure the seniors within the store are aware, reason is I hope if enough people will do the same they'll change the way they do business.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I seriously envy your ability to live without a phone. There's absolutely no way I could do so. My job requires me to work away from home for extended periods of time, and also to have one for business purposes. Ah, but I have fantasies of throwing my digital leash off a cliff...

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Hahahaha! That's a good one!

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
I seriously envy your ability to live without a phone. There's absolutely no way I could do so. My job requires me to work away from home for extended periods of time, and also to have one for business purposes. Ah, but I have fantasies of throwing my digital leash off a cliff...

Its quite difficult at first, but I'm old enough to remember the time when we didn't have phones, and we managed to not be in contact with each other for the entire day! Its like television, you miss it at first but then you're glad its gone.

I have a dongle for internet and check my email a couple of times per day and I get by just fine.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Hahahaha! That's a good one!

Yes that made me laugh too, and I'm hoping the opportunity will arise where I can use it

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Oh, I certainly recall when we all just had 'the phone', which was made of Bakelite, attached to the wall, had a rotary dial, and was an only child in the house.
But unfortunately I don't have the luxury of not carrying a cellphone these days.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join