It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Auto dialers and public school

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Is this what our tax dollars go for? Auto dialers so I can be harassed 3-4 times a night, every night?

My wife works nights, and is often asleep until 8pm. But lo and behold, that can easily be fixed by the local high school. Like clockwork, every 30 minutes or so starting at 6pm, we get prerecorded calls on all manner of subjects:

- "Your childs lunch account is below $2.25, please add funds....". My son had a sleeve gastrectomy. If there was even time to eat lunch in the super crowded cafeteria, then he still wouldn't eat that crap. What, and end up in the ER with a gall bladder attack? I've tried to hve them simply refund me, but they won't do that until the end of the school year. And I have to ask in writing (we are operating on the same "less than $2.25" from his freshman year)
- "Your child had at least 1 absence.....". No kidding. You allow his Algebra 3 teacher to keep him up to 10 minutes late, and haven't arranged with the other teachers to accept the tardy without having to get a tardy slip. Why am I being called every single day because of an administrative blunder???
- "Attention parents, tomorrow we will be....". Yes...underclassmen parents want to be engaged. But my kids a senior, and he's just putting in time to finish out his school year. He doesn't want my participation, and works rather hard to prevent it. Im not cool anymore. And I have a job that'll keep me from going to whatever it is you are doing besides classwork.
- "(insert school mascot) Nation, Rise Up"....some random pep talk for the student body at large that, honestly, should be part of the morning announcements

Every. Single. Night.

I wish I had an auto dialer to attack these people with. I can't even blame only the school principle....its everyone. Its like no one controls how many calls are automated each night.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Thought I was the only one suffering with that crap. I feel your pain.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Common Core is for Parents too !!

Insulting bastards think everybody is still in Kindergarten.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Me and all my friends put our personal cell number instead of our home number when we filled out that form, so our parents would never know we were absent

oh, and we never cared to set up a voicemail box

edit on 6-10-2015 by frostie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Apparently, this auto - dialer is DEMON fast!
edit on 6-10-2015 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Oh my gosh!
I can't even begin to tell you!

So...last year our school went to an electronic system that was SUPPOSED to allow you to add money to lunches (or milks or drinks or ala carte or whatever) well it never worked.
THE ENTIRE YEAR!!!!

So, this year, the kids, they go to school and low and behold there's $36 on one of their accounts from last year...so now there are 4 in high school I pay the $50 (should tie them over at least a week or so)and am told 4 days later that there is a deficit...
WTH???

Anyway they just this week got them all figured out...All of the accounts are "linked" (they have different last names)...And after what feels like an eternity of voice mails and emails and the like...we FINALLY are at a place where I can keep up with there money...
Two of my kids weren't even in the system and he was A RETURNING SOPHOMORE!!!!!

HE happened to get into an altercation with another student this past Friday night at a football game. We surrendered ourselves to the principal first thing Monday morning and as the code of conduct dictates, he was suspended for two days.

Well, first thing this morning when I got to my office, I not only had a voice mail from the "robo dialer" butalso an email telling me my student (insert name here) was absent Monday for periods 1,2,3,4 & 5...
No crap! YOU suspended him!!!!! I took him home!!!! WE ARE AWARE AS YOU SHOULD BE!!!!!

End rant!!!!
Sorry BFFT for trampling your thread!
Just venting...with you...not AT you...LOL

Got carried away and meant to say that last week, they made one of my freshmen put her tray back...yes put her tray back because she was maybe 3.53 short...
Also, got a call today...wish I knew how to link that message that they were .38 cents in the hole!!!!!

I know! I know! I should make sure they have money "on their books" but, come on after all of these years, you know I'm going to pay!!!!!
edit on 6-10-2015 by TNMockingbird because: see above

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Omg.... S&F for knowing my pain.

Just a few days ago I told my husband that I couldn't wait for mine to graduate this year so they would take me off that damn auto dial.

Football game has been postponed.
Cheer meeting rescheduled.
Prom committee meets tonight.
Senior dues.
Spirit week.

Now only one of those would apply to us. The rest? Wth?

Every freaking night. I have nightmares that they'll somehow be unable to remove my number after graduation and I'll still be receiving the calls 20 years from now.

The other morning school was called off because of the flooding... You know when I DIDNT get an auto dial?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Our city has broken water pipes all the time. At least once a month my house is hving no or slow water.

When it happens at the school, they call of school. So that is 12-14 potential days a year, if the averages hold up.

When you look at the repairs being done....they still have the old clay pipes.

Did I mention that the state had threatened to remove accreditation from our school district? There you have it....the dirtiest of laundry being aired for the nation.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I have nightmares that they'll somehow be unable to remove my number after graduation and I'll still be receiving the calls 20 years from now.

.....And they'll merge with your own latent leftover high school angst and in your dreams you'll be naked, trying to remember your locker combo but you'll keep getting interrupted by the robo reminders.

Thank goodness we don't have those calls, I'd have nervous breakdown because in today's age no one calls anymore so it's never anything good when the phone actually rings....It's always bills, solicitations, the Microsoft scam guy... it makes me twitch.

But I can relate BFFT because our kid's school is a chronic email spammer, emails for everything. Had to start another account for everything personal that was getting lost in the deluge of emails everyday.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

My God, i wish they'd email.

At one point one of the elementary schools tried to get with the digital age, and started doing online tutoring, and sharepoint. It was really great....for kids with internet access.

It was the elementary with the lowest average household income. The school leaned on the program heavily, and would actually suggest that the students use the public library (a couple miles from the schools neighborhood) to do their homework.

Between that, and the "issue an apple laptop to every high school student" debacle, our ISD may have finally learned one hard lesson about operting in an economically depressed environment.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I never had this issue with my son's schools, sounds like I'm lucky. I got occasional robo calls, texts and emails but that's about it. Now I'm home-schooling him and I get about 3 emails a week. I just used to give him cash everyday for lunch.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:32 PM
link   
See if your phones have capability to route , by number , the incoming call to another number (call forwarding) . If they do , route it to the school principal's office

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

im devious....but not quite that devious.

Yet.

Im going to check. I have a pretty new phone. If it does, im routing the calls to his house.

ETA: i guess i should add: i've known the principle my whole life. His younger brother was my football coach from 7th grade on.
Its not like im just some random parent.

edit on 10/6/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   
For a long time , I was receiving bill collector calls for a person I did not even know. I tried telling them , talking with them , ignoring them , and promising to sue them. Eventually a cruel idea came to mind....I would froward these calls to each other . Let them hash it out among themselves....Peace from wrongful persecution at last

top topics

join