It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia to EU: Dump The US, Join The Eurasian Economic Union (ZeroHedge)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
From ZeroHedge: www.zerohedge.com...

It sounds like weakened Russian economy and the EU's dire circumstances right now are revealing the possibility for a new potential union.

From the article:

Russia has presented a startling proposal to overcome the tensions with the EU: The EU should renounce the free trade agreement with the United States TTIP and enter into a partnership with the newly established Eurasian Economic Union instead. A free trade zone with the neighbors would make more sense than a deal with the US.

This also made me think of the recent TPP finalization and has me wondering if that has contributed to this proposal.

"We might think of a free trade zone encompassing all of the interested parties in Eurasia”. He described the new Russia-led bloc as a better partner for the EU than the US, with a dig at health standards in the US food industry. “Do you believe it is wise to spend so much political energy on a free trade zone with the USA while you have more natural partners at your side, closer to home? We don’t even chlorinate our chickens”, the ambassador said.

(I do appreciate the fact that this ambassador mentioned chlorinated chickens and health concerns related to the U.S. food industry
)

The treaty establishing the Eurasian Union entered into life on Thursday (1 January). It includes Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Russia, with Kyrgyzstan to join in May. Modelled on the EU, it has a Moscow-based executive body, the Eurasian Economic Commission, and a political body, the Supreme Eurasian Economic Council, where member states’ leaders take decisions by unanimity. It has free movement of workers and a single market for construction, retail, and tourism.

Over the next 10 years, it aims to create a court in Minsk, a financial regulator in Astana and, possibly, to open Eurasian Economic Commission offices in Astana, Bishkek, Minsk, and Yerevan. It also aims to launch free movement of capital, goods, and services, and to extend its single market to 40 other sectors, with pharmaceuticals next in line in 2016. And as a reminder: The Eurasian Economic Union, a trade bloc of former Soviet states, expanded to four nations Friday when Armenia formally joined, a day after the union between Russia, Belarus and Kazakhstan began.

edit on 6-10-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

So let me see if I've got all of this: Russia is trying to woo the EU into dumping the TTIP-an agreement they just finalized with the US, and enter relations with Russia's newly formed Eurasian Economic Union the EEU.

Now that Russia has joined in the Middle East tension(s) in their efforts to protect Assad, other world figures are "acting up," it seems: Saudi Arabia, Israel, Iraq, Iran, N. Korea, etc. Russia is actively bombing rebels in Syria to protect Assad; some of which include US supported factions. Also, it appears that tensions between Russia and Turkey are on the rise, but isn't WW3 is supposed to begin somewhere in Turkey? Will China join in to help Russia?

Furthermore, is Putin's plan to use the newly set up EEU to bankroll the Middle East pipeline before the US can? Is that why protecting Assad is so important?

Sorry to drift off topic OP but it's all related......
edit on 6-10-2015 by lostbook because: word add

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I also have to wonder if this move has anything to do with the BRICS nations and their efforts to establish a new currency for trade?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Wow, the EU becomes Eurasia, the UK (soon to vote on leaving the EU) becomes Airstrip One, maybe George Orwell was on to something.
We are at war with Eurasia, we have always been at war with Eurasia...

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:27 PM
link   
WEll the first thing that came to mind was the recent visit to theUN and the meeting of Putin and obama. It also pops into mind when obama was caught with open mic telling the Russian ambassador to wait until after his next reelection...

This is the tragic effect of the true State of the Union. What happens when the entire world sanctions the Us and floods the borders from all sides?

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I'm looking at this in terms of economics and diplomacy more than militaristic/forceful action - although now that you brought it up it does make me wonder if this could be a way for Russia to try to get some more players on their side of the ring before things heat up anymore.

Can you imagine being an expert in GeoPolitics nowadays? There are so many groups/proxy wars/alliances and so much gray area that whenever I really sit down and try to separate it all it leaves me with my head spinning, argh! At least I try..

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
It sounds like weakened Russian economy and the EU's dire circumstances right now are revealing the possibility for a new potential union.

And what would these "dire" circumstances in the EU be? Some parts of the EU have problems, but almost all EU countries are considerably richer - per capita - than Russia, with better economic prospects.

I think the article and the OP need to dream on. Economically the EU is the biggest world economy. The EEU is tiny in comparison. BRICS are not a economic alliance and each nation therein has little in common with the other.

The EU and the US - alongside some nations in Australasia and the Far East represent the developed world. All democracies. No disrespect, but the EEU is irrelevant.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Russia is right now making a move to boost influence in the ME and install friendly Shi'a allies all over the region by backing Iran and Syria and working revive the Persian Empire. They already control all the major oil and gas the comes into Europe from the East. Imagine the clout if they can wield considerable influence over the energy the EU gets from the ME as well?

If the Saudis fall and all the petrol and gas flow through Russian controlled or backed hands, how long do you think the Europeans will last? It's not like they have other reliable forms of energy. All you folks in Europe better blow a lot harder on those windmills ...

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
Russia is right now making a move to boost influence in the ME and install friendly Shi'a allies all over the region by backing Iran and Syria and working revive the Persian Empire.

The problem with the Middle East is that Sunnis and Shias like to kill each other. Russia is backing the perpetuation of this divide. The only thing Russia is interested in is a base in Syria so they are not bottled up in the Black Sea. That and the continued mayhem that keeps oil prices high and suits Russia's economy.

Oh, did I mention the distraction from their Crimean problem and the recession that is harming ordinary Russians?

Russia wants a vile dictator to continue in power.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

certain countries "bringing down" the EU with their debt v. GDP ratios en.wikipedia.org...

usdebtclock.org...
notably Greece, Portugal, Ireland, Spain
edit on 6-10-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Geographically it makes sense.

It would also mean Putin just reassembled the old Soviet Union and then some. I think everyone is still a little wary of Putin at the moment though, what with Ukraine on their doorstep.

I can't see America allowing it to happen without a huge temper tantrum.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: antar

What happens when the entire world sanctions the Us

I thought about making a thread about that last week. But you know what I could find about it? Absolutely nothing. Not a peep. It's either not doable, or what little that could be done would have no real effect on us.

I wish you would make a thread about it Antar. I would be curious to see what other peeps could come up with.

edit on 10/6/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: lostbook

I'm looking at this in terms of economics and diplomacy more than militaristic/forceful action - although now that you brought it up it does make me wonder if this could be a way for Russia to try to get some more players on their side of the ring before things heat up anymore.

Can you imagine being an expert in GeoPolitics nowadays? There are so many groups/proxy wars/alliances and so much gray area that whenever I really sit down and try to separate it all it leaves me with my head spinning, argh! At least I try..

"Head spinning…" that's how I would describe these developments.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I think this is a good move. Our government and media in the UK are spewing complete propaganda 24/7 as if we are the good guys...it's quite clear that at this moment in time we are the bad guys.

Look at BBC for example, people are beginning to see through their propaganda, most of the top comments were pro Russian towards the stance being taken over Syria...all top comments have been removed by the BBC...They don't want people's eyes to be open, they want you to swallow what they feed you only.

People are waking up, and Russia might just be our saviour.
edit on 6-10-2015 by DAZ21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21
I think this is a good move. Our government and media in the UK are spewing complete propaganda 24/7 as if we are the good guys...it's quite clear that at this moment in time we are the bad guys.

Look at BBC for example, people are beginning to see through their propaganda, most of the top comments were pro Russian towards the stance being taken over Syria...all top comments have been removed by the BBC...They don't want people's eyes to be open, they want you to swallow what they feed you only.

Can you please provide proof of this so we can make sure you are not spouting propoganda. That's how clever people determine who is lying and who is telling the truth by examining all evidence.

Any idiot can post on facebook and state "I posted this on the BBC and they deleted it".

A screenshot of the BBC comments page as the post was made would be good. It will be numbered and have a message stating under review. Then we can check if it's still there.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAZ21

People are waking up, and Russia might just be our saviour.

It was one said that Russia is an enigma wrapped in a riddle hidden within a mystery. And that is still the case.

Putin and Russia could be the new world leader in terms of doing the right thing. It could also be a big ruse. But from what I've seen of the Syrian situation coverage on RT, they seem to be very open, frank and honest so far.

Time will tell and I give a cautious thumbs up to Russia right now.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It is the best way to avoid being a slave to the banking cartels of the west. If a country can't be free of the current status quo, than by all means open your arms to welcome a New World Order courtesy of the Western TPTB.

I am sure the hawk eyed tin foilers saw this move coming, it's no surprise, eventually the member countries for BRICS have planned this and are working in the background to Opt out from teh western influenced trading system.

Germany although not part of BRICS, but amidst the Volkswagon Scandal being a direct threat to it's economy, is in dire need to find alternative business solution to maintain it's economy. Read here

Angela Merkel signs key business deal with India's Narendra Modi

Peace
edit on 6-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-10-2015 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Russia is right, it does make more sense, what does not make sense is that up to now Russia has not showed this willingness.
Trade between Russia and the EU already flourished and we had a good understanding until Russia took a stance against Ukraine's right to self determination, the war in the east of Ukraine and the downing of MH17.
If there is one mistake Russia has made, it is to stay on the sideline and simply threatening a neighboring country instead of becoming diplomatically involved in a deal between the EU and Ukraine/Eurasia.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook

So let me see if I've got all of this: Russia is trying to woo the EU into dumping the TTIP-an agreement they just finalized with the US, and enter relations with Russia's newly formed Eurasian Economic Union the EEU.

Now that Russia has joined in the Middle East tension(s) in their efforts to protect Assad, other world figures are "acting up," it seems: Saudi Arabia, Israel, Iraq, Iran, N. Korea, etc. Russia is actively bombing rebels in Syria to protect Assad; some of which include US supported factions. Also, it appears that tensions between Russia and Turkey are on the rise, but isn't WW3 is supposed to begin somewhere in Turkey? Will China join in to help Russia?

Furthermore, is Putin's plan to use the newly set up EEU to bankroll the Middle East pipeline before the US can? Is that why protecting Assad is so important?

Sorry to drift off topic OP but it's all related......

Thats EXACTLY why , ive been trying to say this same thing on all the "WOOHOO GO RUSSIA KILL ISIS" threads, people arent seeing the game for what it really is

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
Geographically it makes sense.

It would also mean Putin just reassembled the old Soviet Union and then some. I think everyone is still a little wary of Putin at the moment though, what with Ukraine on their doorstep.

I can't see America allowing it to happen without a huge temper tantrum.

The world might have trouble hearing that tantrum over the sound of Russia getting things done.

Talk is cheap, and impotent blathering out of Washington even cheaper.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join