It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Pesticides in Medical or Recreational Cannabis Dangerous?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
This is important health information and I would hate to see the thread deleted because of people discussing personal use.

Please do NOT discuss personal use or "growing your own"!

This is a topic that I have wondered about before. The federal regulations on the marijuana grown for various dispensaries in "legal" states are few and far between, if any, because it's not a legal crop. But states have developed their own regulations to ban certain pesticides and list all of them on the label.

Some of the labels I've seen while surfing the Internet are just incredibly scary. I am concerned for people who ingest product without knowing what's in it. This should be a concern for people thinking they're using a "safe" herb for whatever reason.

I don't support any federal regulation, but I would like to see pressure put on dispensaries to make organic product an option. Some already have some, but my suspicion is that most people assume it's a safe product, and it may not be.

Lack of Regulation on Growers Opens the Door to Dangers - 2013

We all know that marijuana is “one of the safest therapeutically-active substances known to man,” at least according to DEA Judge Francis Young, but what about the pesticides used to keep those cannabis crops free of spider mites, aphids and other insects? Is it possible that pot smokers are ingesting harmful chemicals by burning residual pesticides sprayed onto plants during the growth cycle?
“These are people that are immunocompromised, they're undergoing chemotherapy, they're very sick with antibacterial loads. We can't be subjecting them to more of these types of potentially harmful contaminants when they're looking to this as a medicine source.”

In Washington State, cannabis sold at recreational pot stores can be legally treated with over 200 different pesticides. Raber said that while the use of pesticides on cannabis plants is technically illegal in California, the practice is widespread.

It was announced yesterday, that two people are suing a Colorado grower because of a fungicide that becomes poisonous when ignited.

Colorado Cannabis Users Sue Grower over Fungicide - Yesterday

Two Colorado marijuana users have sued a cannabis grower claiming a "patently dangerous" agricultural fungicide that becomes poisonous when ignited was applied without their knowledge to pot plants they later smoked, court documents showed on Monday.
The fungicide is approved for certain edible agricultural crops, but not for smokable products such as tobacco, according to the complaint filed in Denver District Court.

"As such, persons who smoke cannabis that has been sprayed with Eagle 20 inhale ... poisonous hydrogen cyanide," the lawsuit said.

This label (a different grower) had a state-banned pesticide "spinosad" on their labels, but it was an old label and the product was tested and actually didn't use that pesticide. But clearly, it was used at one time.

My main message is BUYER BEWARE! It's important to read labels and BE EDUCATED about what you're buying, if you live in a "legal" state.

Source
edit on 10/6/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yes this is a real problem because if you don't use the fungicides some of the fungus when inhailed will colinize your lungs. A doubled edged sword damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Heck even tea branded "All Natural Organic" is loaded with pesticides quite often. I believe Celestial Tea had been busted a few years back for high levels of pesticide and I love their blueberry tea!

At least they have a warning label, the zip lock baggy from the street dealer lacks all definition.

a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

edit on 6-10-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
At least they have a warning label, the zip lock baggy from the street dealer lacks all definition.

True. And I'm definitely not advocating that.

I would like to see some regulation that works, but mostly, I would advocate using the almighty votes and dollars to encourage state-wide organic certification and the providing of labelled, organic product by the dispensaries.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Perhaps pot grown inside would be less likely to be sprayed. I don't know - I imagine there are some operations that are completely indoor grow houses. Not sure at all about whether fungus and other things can be controlled by using hydroponic grow boxes or not.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

I'm sure that problem was even greater when the bulk of the product came from Mexican drug cartels. Organic, pesticide free illegal dope? Nope!

At least now there's going to be regulations, so in that regard I would think that things would only get better, in the way of the organic choice. Plus, in most states where medical marijuana is legal, people can grow their own, and have a little more control,

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Good thread OP. This is an issue you have certainly got me thinking about. I have seen the labels, ones exactly like the one pictured.

I imagine this is different all over the place due to lack of regulation. Indoor hydroponic grow houses require a lot less pesticides, fungcides, and the like i imagine. Most bud in CO is grown indoors i believe. Grow warehouses hidden in plant site everywhere..
Also, i know the proper grow technique involves "flushing" the plant with only pure PH'd water for the last 2 weeks or so before harvest. This can include a foliar spray of clean freshwater.
i imagine this helps quite a bit, hope at least.

Anyways, we wont see federal regulations on mj. Not in this decade that is for sure. I say my homestate does good and implements some state wide regulations - for growhouses only of course, not applying to private. Colorado and washington could collaborate on this. The science of mj is just now being renewed.

One good thing is the mj industry is FULL of hippies. That means most of em like the good healthy and organic stuff just as much as the consumer.
edit on 6-10-2015 by lightedhype because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
My best advice for people visiting a dispensary, is talk to the person behind the counter. Ask them the buds they personally smoke. I don`t know any dispensaries that sell from growers they don`t know or lack the info on the grow op.
Plus most dispensaries have house bud. Most staff smoke that because it is cheaper for them. That bud is likely grown indoors with corcern to one`s health since they smoke it all day, everyday.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Using Any toxic chemical on cannabis is moronic

There are safe natural ways to deal with any situation .

Fungus and mold is easily controlled with UVC light .

Bugs can be handled in a multitude of safe ways .

People are lazy and greedy thats the problem .

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Your tread are spot on, now, user can know what is in the product, and put pressure on the producer. With time the knowledge on this plant will avoid many bad thing to happen to users. They will learn better technique to grow them and to control what is in the plant to be healtier (if people keep pushing). But people must remember that, like any good thing, it's bring it's share of danger.

On side note:
I don't like Cannabis, but, I do think it's good thing to legalise them. I don't even care for which purpose. I just want trustfull and good people to be happy. In doctors hand, I'm sure it will be well use, and,with time, I know the rest of the population can handle this to.

Good OP, well bring, first star and flag I gave on a subject about Cannabis!
edit on 6-10-2015 by PersonneX because: change most to must

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I'm more worried about legalization and thus opening the ability to actually speak about personal use more than the pesticides currently being used on them. I'll worry about necessary regulations after the plant is legal. Regulations now would just drive up the prices of the legal market and people will just jump to the illegal market.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
Perhaps pot grown inside would be less likely to be sprayed. I don't know - I imagine there are some operations that are completely indoor grow houses. Not sure at all about whether fungus and other things can be controlled by using hydroponic grow boxes or not.

The problem with indoor growing is that it uses an insane amount of water to grow it.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I'm more worried about legalization and thus opening the ability to actually speak about personal use more than the pesticides currently being used on them.

I absolutely understand and agree. Legalization is coming, I'm sure. But in the meantime, we live in a country where the FDA has its hands in everything. Many people are so used to being watched over by gov't regulations, that it may never enter their minds that the product they're buying and ingesting may have toxic chemicals on it that become poisonous when ignited, and so on. What I'm advocating is self-education and a push toward a more healthy product by consumers, NOT the government.

Regulations now would just drive up the prices of the legal market and people will just jump to the illegal market.

This is a real concern, but it may also save people some ignorance, illness and lawsuits. Education is key. There ARE regulations now. They're just not federal.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Considering a lot of marihuana is grown indoors, depending on the area, I'd say the use of pesticides is very low. Many farmers will use all natural pesticides, like neem oil, because you don't want chemicals on the flowers for all the obvious reasons.
edit on 6-10-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
As I previously stated as long as the legal cannibis is both cheaper and more effective over it's illegal counterpart there shouldn't be much problems.

However when legalizing anything there comes regulations and up holding these regulations cost money. So in conclusion if and when it's legalized the price is more then likely going up from street value.

The price of cigarettes here in Canada is outrageous and I don't even smoke tobacco. It's something like 13$ dollars a pack now after tax. A 26oz bottle of booze is like 25$ for the cheap brands. So for an ounce of cannibis I wouldn't be surprised at 300$+ from a dispensary.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I suppose you're referring to dwc and other hydroponics methods ?

But don't forget about soiless and aeroponics methods .

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I really hate it when, you thought it was fully natural but then, you notice something weird and start getting anxious.

It's an horrible feeling, a waste of time and money.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
That's actually a pretty well documented side effect that effects some people even if your product is 100% natural cannibis. I know folks personally that often negatively react to cannibis this way so they just don't smoke it lol. You get extra paranoid, so you question the safety of the product and from there it's spirals to full blown anxiety attacks.

That being said I know nothing of where you live or what you buy so sure it could be a myriad of other stuff in there too.

a reply to: theMediator

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I'm not sure where people get this notion, but I would caution them not to assume it. It sounds reasonable, but pesticides and fungicides are used indoors, too.

In many cases, both seller and grower are unaware that a crop has become contaminated.
Pot-smokers aren't the only ones at risk from the application of pesticides on marijuana crops. Also potentially in danger are the people spraying the chemicals -- especially if the practice takes place indoors -- and others that may eat, drink or breathe downwind.

Source

"I think everyone thought marijuana growers were a bunch of organic growers who would never use pesticides on pot, but that's definitely not the case," said Mowgli Holmes, a molecular geneticist at Phylos Bioscience and board member of the Cannabis Safety Institute in Oregon. "A lot of this pesticide use is new and driven by commercial pressures."

When large numbers of cannabis plants are grown indoors and in close proximity, they are vulnerable to mites and powdery mildews, which can destroy a crop quickly.

Denver Post

An Oregonian/OregonLive investigation found that a combination of lax state rules, inconsistent lab practices and inaccurate test results has enabled pesticide-laced products to enter the medical marijuana market. Above, Eugene chemist Rodger Voelker keeps hundreds of contaminated marijuana samples in a bin in his lab. Here are our five major findings:

• Unlike Colorado and Washington, Oregon has not told marijuana producers what pesticides they can use. And the state’s testing rules don’t cover common pesticides used in marijuana cultivation, including chemicals linked to public health risks.
Source

I don't want to appear to be warning people off of medical or even recreational cannabis. My opinion is as FAR from that as it can possibly be. My purpose is to make people aware and encourage self-education about the products they may be ingesting. That's all.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Just imagine how bad it will be when it becomes federally legal nationwide. We'll have Big Tobacco taking over. Camel Spliffs and Marlboro Mellow J's will be loaded with pesticides.

I just hope that they allow for local organic farms, that way you can grow without pesticides or commercial fertilizer.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
luckily in los angeles there are several medical dispensaries that not only test each batch as it comes in they post the results. they usualy test for fungus and mold, pesticides and the cannabinoid profile and percentage . the dispensaries that do this have huge following with their clientele base. the ones that don't tend to fall off the map. not sure if its like that in the medical cultures of other cities but in la people ask and discriminate.
edit on 6-10-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join