It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curiosity Rover Snaps Stunning Mount Sharp Image

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   
That is an awesome picture of New Mexico, err I mean Mars. Breath taking, both of them.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

If you were standing on Mars, under martian lighting and atmospheric conditions, the sky would have a reddish cast. This image has been color-adjusted ("white balanced") to show how the rock formations would appear on Earth. It's just a tool to help the geologists get a better understanding of what sort of rocks they are looking at. There is no conspiracy or revelation here.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
How did they invent a battery that can last all these years roving around on mars, doing testing, moving, taking pictures etc....but I cant keep my cell phone charged more than a day? lol

Just get a Strontium-90 nuclear battery. They run pretty much forever.
Nuclear Battery

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I wonder how much changes a dead planet could go through, the mineral composition does resemble our own earth, perhaps there was a chance for life. But if humanity is taking a leap to populate Mars, its probably necessary to force the issue at hand in whatever steps in necessary, otherwise its gonna be another failure. I think the possibility is there, its just the determination thats missing. Just think of the possiblities if we never reached Mars cause someone hesitated i think the outcome of not getting there will be more damaging to humanity than if we do get there.

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Here's what the martian sky looks like in raw Curiosity images:

The colouration is similar to something you'd get in a light dust storm here on Earth:

Colour calibration and balancing is a tricky business, but Mars is definitely not the vivid red as it's usually portrayed in movies and artwork.
edit on 6-10-2015 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
If you could hypothetically remove the dust in its atmosphere it'd be bluer but darker, by Earth standards, according to what I've read.

Also it's not just one butterscotch color. It varies, depending the conditions. Same thing on Earth. It's not always blue sky, lol.
edit on 10/6/2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

Thnaks for the explanation. BTW what causes the reddish colour in the martian atmosphere? Is the cause a known fact or a theory?

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

"The only thing more stunning than these images is the thought that Curiosity will be driving through those lower hills one day," Curiosity project scientist Ashwin Vasavada,

More stunning is the color of the Martian sky!! Pale BLUE!

Whatever happened to those millions of Martian images showing a foreboding orange sky? Or did they turn up the L2 red filter to hideous levels to show it as such?

And this pic could be more like it....

edit on 7-10-2015 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
What always strikes me when looking at images of Mars is how much sign there is of high, sustained winds. No longer the case on Mars but at one time the red planet was a very windy planet. What could make that change I wonder?

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: OrionHunterX
More stunning is the color of the Martian sky!! Pale BLUE!

Whatever happened to those millions of Martian images showing a foreboding orange sky? Or did they turn up the L2 red filter to hideous levels to show it as such?

Or you could read the earlier posts in this thread, that explain that this image was colour-balanced to imitate lighting conditions on Earth (and how Mars and its sky isn't the foreboding orange anyway, despite depictions in movies and art).

posted on Oct, 7 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
I'm throwing the dirt bikes in the truck and heading there now. Who's with me?

Seriously, that looks like dirt bike Heaven!

S&F

Ride a Honda? It is the red Planet after all
But then again its a little more orange.

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 03:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
What always strikes me when looking at images of Mars is how much sign there is of high, sustained winds. No longer the case on Mars but at one time the red planet was a very windy planet. What could make that change I wonder?

There are still plenty of winds on Mars, it's just that they are very weak by Earth's standards, owing to the fact that over billions of years the martian atmosphere got carried away into space by the solar wind. Even so, today wind on Mars is strong enough to create dust devils, cause some visible changes over the years, and even transport sand and dust up the dune slopes. Martian wind is the strongest near the poles, where there are seasonal changes in temperature.

Wind near the poles is so prevalent, that many craters got filled in with dust:

posted on Oct, 8 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Even so, today wind on Mars is strong enough to create dust devils,

And a cool sight they are too.

posted on Oct, 11 2015 @ 10:08 AM
link   
You have blue sky then it means you have ozone in atmosphere who means you have air in mars

Then i asked composition of surounding gases near land for nasa they resisted to give me list of what gases surounding consists. They claimed what there no h2o in mars but not gived me log from analisis.

Dont know nasa probably more stupid than me. How they people live for the rest of the lifes in mars if there no air and climate extreme ?
Even biodomes wont survive then and they planing to invade mars width first colonists.

Its same lyes we have in antartica they stating theres no liquid lakes but then i figured out what theres plenty of land width liquid lakes and free of ice land find what no peoples are alowed to enter territory.

edit on 11-10-2015 by ernestjev because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-10-2015 by ernestjev because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join