It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

12 Times Mass Shootings Were Stopped by Good Guys with Guns

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+16 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I saw a meme on the internet that said good guys with guns haven't stopped any mass shootings in the past 30 years, and then I stumbled upon this article that explains twelve situations where they were stopped by good guys with guns.

I am a Democrat, and I am on the fence about gun control laws, but I think it is important to get facts straight. That is my number one political agenda. So when I saw liberal friends of mine on Facebook sharing this meme saying that no mass shootings had been stopped by good guys with guns, it made me cringe because it had no basis in facts.

Here is the article to click on in order to read about it:

12 Times Mass Shootings Were Stopped by Good Guys with Guns

What do you guys think?

edit on 04pmSun, 04 Oct 2015 22:41:21 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Not that it matters but I linked this earlier..in this thread. .as Bruce Lee said. You learn to fight by fighting. ...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

I think they twist facts to suit their purpose. Because the attack was stopped, it's no longer considered a mass shooting by them.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Here is a list of mass shooting in Australia since the new gun laws and gun buy backs in 1996 .
Heres the link .
www.gizmodo.com.au...
edit on 4-10-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

Here is a list of mass shooting in Australia since the new gun laws and gun buy backs .
Heres the link .
www.gizmodo.com.au...

That's a lie. Guns are not illegal, and HAVE been used in mass shootings.

2014 Hunt family.

2011 Hectorville.

2002 Monash University

Guns don't create murderers, they are an instrument. Australia has mass killing, some with guns, some without. They have less because their culture is different. America needs to focus on the culture that leads to this, not guns. As long as we focus on guns we will get nowhere.
edit on 4-10-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
21 dead from a fire. Time to ban fire, right? It's not the person to blame, it's fire.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
This article takes a different tact:

Still, for whatever they are worth, here is a list of some such incidents (which deliberately excludes killings stopped by people who were off-duty police officers, or police officers from other jurisdictions, at the time of a shooting, as well as some other cases which struck me as borderline)

This Washington Post article lists only civilian CCW holders who interrupted a potential mass killing.

-dex

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I guess it all depends on what they call a mass shooting . The Hectorville one you quote was close to home , as in my son walked past the murder address every day to get to school so it could have turned out a lot worse than it did as far as i was personally concerned .

Also i never said guns were illegal .

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
OK, first I think we need to clear up some confusion over terms that I think most of us have. The terms are Mass Shooting and Mass Muder. The MSM typically reports the occurrence of mass murders, but incorrectly labels them as mass shootings.

The FBI definition of "Mass Murder" is four or more people murdered in one event. These are the events that we see on the evening news from time to time.

Using the same rationale as the FBI definition of mass murder, we can define “Mass Shooting” as four or more people shot in one event.

Once we get this straight, it sheds a whole new light on things. The fact is, there are on average 1-3 mass shootings in America every day of the week. As of my posting this, there have been 314 mass shootings so far this year in America. In 2013 there were 1,022 mass shootings, but in 2014 there were fewer - only 499 mass shootings.

If you’d like to see a detailed itemization of the above, go to the Mass Shooting Tracker. If you go there, don’t take the image on the right side of the window as being up-to-date - it’s an old example. Apparently this site is updated fairly regularly, though, aside from that image.

I’m not trying to minimize the efforts of the “Good Guys with Guns” who helped neutralize some horrific situations. I’m only pointing out that these instances were a drop in the bucket when compared to the problem as a whole. They basically serve as the NRA’s justification for arming everyone in America. Ya know, even in the Wild Wild West many towns like Dodge City and Tombstone had strict gun control laws. Otherwise, it would have been total mayhem. Funny, the NRA never mentions that.

Peace...

edit on 10/4/2015 by netbound because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

So then if you can get guns in AUS, and you have fewer mass shootings, that suggests culture, not gun laws, is the difference.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:17 AM
link   

I guess that in a lot of cases the fact we don't have guns laying around the place stops those spur of the moment killings , it typically takes up to 8 months before you can legally own a gun . The laws are about to get tighter as well , if you are convicted of violent crime or drug offences you have a 5 year wait to own a gun . Any bikie association bars you for life i believe . As for culture , well sure its not normal to go around killing people here thats for sure , but it happens and i would hazard a guess its more of a mental health issue .Still tragedies occur as per the link below .
www.news.com.au...

Perhaps more emphasis on mental health .

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Can you show me these spur of the moment gun purchases that resulted in mass shootings in America?

Mental health is an issue, also the culture of hatred fostered by the media and politicians and other groups, the culture of division and us vs them.
edit on 5-10-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

You said .

Can you show me these spur of the moment gun purchases

I said .

stops those spur of the moment killings

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

You said .

Can you show me these spur of the moment gun purchases

I said .

stops those spur of the moment killings

They can only stop them if they require spur of the moment purchasing. If you purchased 2 years ago you can still spur of the moment kill.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   

If you purchased 2 years ago you can still spur of the moment kill.

Yes and we still have murders by guns . But a lot less than the US . And that is by per capita .
edit on 5-10-2015 by hutch622 because: ooops did not proof read .

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   

And I would venture to say you always have. US culture is the problem.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
it's actually a no-brainer, but some people don'get it:

what's more likely to stop a psycho on a killing spree?

1. nice words and hugs

2. a toothbrush

3. another guy with a gun

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 01:06 AM
link   
a reply to: anticitizen

I believe when a citizen with a gun intervenes the number of deaths is dramatically lowered.

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: anticitizen

what's more likely to stop a psycho on a killing spree?

1. nice words and hugs

2. a toothbrush

3. another guy with a gun

Your forgot number 4 .

4. No access to a gun .

posted on Oct, 5 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Here's a map of all the mass shootings they didn't stop.

In the past nine months alone.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join