It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Greatest unanswered Question of all time, What is Truth?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

Of course that's the standard way Christians rationalize their belief in Jesus being god. Ignore scriptures that contradict and focus on the ones that confirm(which are usually Pauline gospels ). Of course all the gospels were written long after the death of Christ which I find very strange. If I was an apostle and witnessed the things he supposedly did I would have written about it immediately and made copies and hide them everywhere.

posted on Apr, 28 2016 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

You state rewriting languages to manipulate peoples thoughts is a propaganda tool. I can't think of a bigger piece of propaganda in world history than the bible. It was the greatest piece of propaganda ever written.

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Here are some synonyms for the noun: a "truth" from...
Truth Synonyms, Truth Antonyms | Thesaurus.com:

noun reality,...
certainty
fact

And here are some synonyms for the adjective: "true" from...
True Synonyms, True Antonyms | Thesaurus.com:

accurate
adj. correct, without error
absolute
certain
conclusive
factual

Those who deny the existence of things that are abolute/certain/factual/true (some agnostics do this, sometimes selectively regarding inconvenient facts they'd rather not think about) are in essence denying the existence of facts/realities, i.e. denyng reality (or at least having a hard time dealing with very specific realities; it differs a bit from person to person regarding how far they will take their promotion of agnosticism and Pontius Pilatus' way of thinking about "truth", described in my previous comments here on the previous page).

Like I mentioned before about how conducive this is to selling philosophies and myths/false stories as enlightened knowledge/science (Latin: scientia, or illuminatus scientia), this means that others are using it as well (religious teachers, gurus, imams and philosophers of all sorts, from the Dalai Lama to the Pope to Spinoza to Dawkins, Hawking, Hitchens and Krauss and too many more to list as examples in Judaism, Christendom, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Shinto, Confucianism, Taoism, Pantheism, Deism, Zoroastrianism, Atheism, Agnosticism and most overlooked of all, the unaffiliated people who convince themselves that they are thinking for themselves and don't like organized religion but are still...).

using concepts borrowed from ancient philosophers in order to explain their beliefs.

One Myth Leads to Another

Usually concepts and philosophies of the religious kind that have been used by organized religions for centuries.
edit on 4-5-2016 by whereislogic because: addition

posted on May, 4 2016 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

What truth or facts are you going on about ? Be specific. Your so called truths cannot 've proven therefore they are not facts and merely beliefs.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Truth is knowledge and wisdom. Truth is that which the Holy Spirit is of. Those who have a healthy eye have the Holy Spirit.

This is the third eye. The minds eye. If you can properly follow the instructions of Jesus and are baptized with water, Spirit and fire, then you know what Truth is.

Be as wise as serpents and harmless as doves.

Had the Roman empire not planted it's spy Saul the Pharisee and embraced his heretical grace fabrication the world would have embraced the righteousness of Christ.

Instead they pushed the hate filled teachings of Saul the murderer turned mole.

posted on May, 5 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Truth... in my opinion... Is pure. No knowledge is needed. No wisdom can account for.
It starts with limitations.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I would just like to state that the greatest unanswered question of all time is "how did everything originate?" and not "what is truth?"

Truth is a realized concept and a defined word. Truth is anything that is true, correct, accurate or not false. Truth is the opposite of Lies.

What is true is often debated because we don't know the truth for certain all the time.

Unanswered questions greater than "what is truth?" include:

Is there a Creator or is our existence spontaneous?

Is there a being in existence who fits the description God? Or are there many gods?

What happens to us after death?

If there is a God, how could he be omnipotent but not responsible for evil?

How were the pyramids built?

Why do so many people who are educated believe that the Bible is actual history and not just mythology even though it is obvious to anyone with a basic knowledge of religious history to find out that the Bible is mythology incorporating tradition of other cultures into the culture of the Hebrews as their own?

Why would anyone wonder what truth is instead of what is true? Truth is defined. What is true is not always known, but it is case by case.

edit on 9-5-2016 by CapstonePendulum because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: whereislogic

I notice your link is to a Jehovah witness website. You won't find the truth there.

Are you saying that the JW beliefs are true but not that of the ancient philosophers?

And I agree that some people who are not affiliated with organized religion are self deceived, but at least they are not submitting to church authority. They may not have found the truth but they have found a great teacher if they follow Christ and ignore Paul.

They are deceived only when they don't realize that the story of Paul is the test of the false prophet and meant to reveal the level of a persons commitment to Yeshua and his teachings. Those who don't realize Paul is a false prophet are those who serve God with their lips but not their hearts. Those who are easily led to sin and don't follow the words of Yeshua follow the gospel of Paul because they don't have Wisdom and rely on grace because of so called faith.

posted on May, 9 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

I find that truth and especially what might or not be true is muddied . We drive down the street and say oh look at the church but the truth of the matter is that a building is not really a church ,at least in the Biblical sense .Same for religious or religion .Visiting orphans and widows is true religion but a lot of what we see in religious institutions is different . Seems that we need to be juggling two different thoughts around in our minds .The truth and the other truth .Too many grey shades here on earth to see the full colour of truth .

posted on May, 25 2016 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: CapstonePendulum
My primary 2 links, or links related to the primary points in the comment you were responding to are to the same thesaurus (a reference work for synonyms).

edit on 25-5-2016 by whereislogic because: edit

posted on Jun, 18 2016 @ 05:25 AM
link   
In a manner the cynical question from Pontius Pilatus referred to in the title of this thread relates to a question that was asked in the title of a thread in the philosophy and metaphysics subforum (green one), in which I've also made some related commentary concerning the word "wisdom":

What is knowledge?

posted on Sep, 10 2016 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Still a very relevant topic for ATS and especially this forum. Pardon the bump but I won't excuse myself for being one of the few that likes drawing attention to this thread the most. Better than talking about aliens and universal simulations, or another Paul (or the bible)-bashing tea-party.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I believe that the OP is incorrect about this being an unanswered question.

"Truth comes from Heaven."

Said the Messiah. That means God and everything in Heaven is the truth and source of truth.

posted on Sep, 11 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

“Truth is Understanding”

And all understanding comes from (receiving) the Spirit of God.

It’s alluded to in Proverbs 9 verse 10…IMO…see my signature…

Think about when Einstein first realized his theory on “relativity”…he was essentially the first person to understand it, and therefore articulate it, in short, he found the truth of it…

Everyone is connected to source by the Spirit and therefore has access to the truth through it. When Jesus said “everyone that is of the truth heareth my voice” he was talking about those who have come to recognize the Spirit within themselves, which is a universal truth.

If Jesus was around today he would say “I Am the Truth and So Are You!”

- JC

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 04:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic
Still a very relevant topic for ATS and especially this forum. Pardon the bump but I won't excuse myself for being one of the few that likes drawing attention to this thread the most. Better than talking about aliens and universal simulations, or another Paul (or the bible)-bashing tea-party.

Paul is the worst. Whoever thought it a good idea to allow the sloppy letters of Paul to be a part of Holy scripture over the individual Acts of the 12 REAL Apostles ought to be ressurected and die again in the most painful way.

It still wouldn't erase the truth, which is:

Paul was the prophecied about false prophet.

Where are these Paul bashing threads? I want in.

posted on Sep, 13 2016 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: LucianusXVII
...ought to be ressurected and die again in the most painful way.

What a lovely attitude you have towards those who you might perceive as your enemies (or enemies of what you believe to be true).

“I say to you,” said Jesus Christ, “continue to love your enemies and to pray for those persecuting you; that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous.”—Matthew 5:44, 45.

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink . . . Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.” (Romans 12:20, 21)

Peter wrote: “Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely. . . . When he was suffering, he did not go threatening, but kept on committing himself to [God].” (1 Peter 2:21, 23) Clearly, Peter had learned that love, not retaliation, is the way of Christ’s true followers.—Matthew 5:9.

All who ‘follow Jesus’ steps closely’ reflect his loving, gracious disposition. “A slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, . . . keeping himself restrained under evil,” says 2 Timothy 2:24. Those qualities would be evident in the Christian’s way of life, which is one of peace and reconciliation.
edit on 13-9-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 05:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: whereislogic

...ought to be ressurected and die again in the most painful way.

What a lovely attitude you have towards those who you might perceive as your enemies (or enemies of what you believe to be true).

Take it down a notch it was not meant to be taken so literally, kind of like the Bible, eh?

Grow a sense of humor, it was funny and the two sides, Petrine and Pauline, never should have been combined because they are two religions. Jesus and Paul's teachings oppose each other and Paul's lies have added nothing good to the world or word of Judeo-Christian beliefs.

“I say to you,” said Jesus Christ, “continue to love your enemies and to pray for those persecuting you; that you may prove yourselves sons of your Father who is in the heavens, since he makes his sun rise upon wicked people and good and makes it rain upon righteous people and unrighteous.”—Matthew 5:44, 45.

“If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink . . . Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.” (Romans 12:20, 21)

Peter wrote: “Christ suffered for you, leaving you a model for you to follow his steps closely. . . . When he was suffering, he did not go threatening, but kept on committing himself to [God].” (1 Peter 2:21, 23) Clearly, Peter had learned that love, not retaliation, is the way of Christ’s true followers.—Matthew 5:9.

All who ‘follow Jesus’ steps closely’ reflect his loving, gracious disposition. “A slave of the Lord does not need to fight, but needs to be gentle toward all, . . . keeping himself restrained under evil,” says 2 Timothy 2:24. Those qualities would be evident in the Christian’s way of life, which is one of peace and reconciliation.

Yeah I am not too worried about it. just don't care what other people do but I still have opinions to express that are valid and if you can't take a joke then that stinks. Obviously I don't actually want to ressurect the dead and torture them, it was hyperbole.

K buddy, k guy?

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: LucianusXVII
James chapter 3 (NWT):

Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, knowing that we will receive heavier* judgment.+ 2 For we all stumble* many times.+ If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able to bridle also his whole body. 3 If we put bridles in the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we guide also their whole body. 4 Look also at ships: Although they are so big and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the man at the helm is inclined to go.

5 So, too, the tongue is a small part of the body, and yet it makes great brags. See how small a fire it takes to set a great forest ablaze! 6 The tongue is also a fire.+ The tongue represents a world of unrighteousness among our body members, for it defiles all the body+ and sets the whole course of life* on fire, and it is set on fire by Ge·henʹna.* 7 For every kind of wild animal and bird and reptile* and sea creature is to be tamed and has been tamed by humans. 8 But no human can tame the tongue. It is unruly and injurious, full of deadly poison.+ 9 With it we praise Jehovah,* the Father, and yet with it we curse men who have come into existence “in the likeness of God.”+ 10 Out of the same mouth come blessing and cursing.

My brothers, it is not right for things to happen this way.+ 11 A spring does not cause the fresh* water and the bitter water to bubble out of the same opening, does it? 12 My brothers, a fig tree cannot produce olives, or a grapevine figs, can it?+ Neither can salt water produce fresh water.

13 Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him by his fine conduct demonstrate works performed with a mildness that comes from wisdom. 14 But if you have bitter jealousy+ and contentiousness*+ in your hearts, do not be bragging+ and lying against the truth. 15 This is not the wisdom that comes down from above; it is earthly,+ animalistic, demonic. 16 For wherever there are jealousy and contentiousness,* there will also be disorder and every vile thing.+

17 But the wisdom from above is first of all pure,+ then peaceable,+ reasonable,+ ready to obey, full of mercy and good fruits,+ impartial,+ not hypocritical.+ 18 Moreover, the fruit of righteousness is sown in peaceful conditions+ for* those who are making peace.

Pardon my laziness in not removing all the + and * symbols. Paul, Peter, Jesus and James are all in agreement.

edit on 14-9-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Obviously I don't actually want to ressurect the dead and torture them, it was hyperbole.

K buddy, k guy?

You never said that anyway, so I never thought you wanted to do that.

though?

Regarding James 3:10:

Out of the same mouth come blessing and cursing. My brothers, it is not right for things to happen this way.

Cursing | Define Cursing at Dictionary.com:

noun
the expression of a wish that misfortune, evil, doom, etc., befall a person, group, etc.

verb (used with object), cursed or curst, cursing.
to wish or invoke evil, calamity, injury, or destruction upon.

edit on 14-9-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Oh, the previous song is based on:

Hebrews 13:15
15 Through him let us always offer to God a sacrifice of praise, that is, the fruit of our lips that make public declaration to his name.

Acts 13:48
48 When those of the nations heard this, they began to rejoice and to glorify the word of Jehovah, and all those who were rightly disposed for everlasting life became believers.

1 Thessalonians 2:4
4 but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the good news, so we speak to please, not men, but God, who examines our hearts.

1 Timothy 1:11
11 according to the glorious good news of the happy God, with which I was entrusted.

And song 142 is based on (besides the verses I already shared):

Luke 10:6
6 And if a friend of peace is there, your peace will rest upon him. But if there is not, it will return to you.

Isaiah 52:7
7 How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of the one bringing good news, The one proclaiming peace, The one bringing good news of something better, The one proclaiming salvation, The one saying to Zion: “Your God has become King!”

Matthew 28:19, 20
19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Luke 8:1
8 Shortly afterward he traveled from city to city and from village to village, preaching and declaring the good news of the Kingdom of God. And the Twelve were with him,

Romans 10:10
10 For with the heart one exercises faith for righteousness, but with the mouth one makes public declaration for salvation.

Isaiah 30:20, 21

20 Though Jehovah will give you bread in the form of distress and water in the form of oppression,+ your Grand Instructor will no longer hide himself, and you will see your Grand Instructor+ with your own eyes. 21 And your own ears will hear a word behind you saying, “This is the way.+ Walk in it,” in case you should go to the right or in case you should go to the left.+

Psalm 32:8

8 “I will give you insight and instruct you in the way you should go.+

I will give you advice with my eye upon you.+

Psalm 139:24

24 See whether there is in me any harmful way,+

And lead me+ in the way of eternity.

Proverbs 6:23

23 For the commandment is a lamp,+

And the law is a light,+

And the reproofs of discipline are the way to life.+

Regarding some things I said in the thread about knowledge (in the comment about wisdom, if only this thread could be merged with that one...cause there are a lot of overlapping considerations when thinking about: truth, knowledge, facts, wisdom, insight, understanding, thinking abilities, reason, discipline, shrewdness, being inexperienced or naive, reproof and rebuke. Also "an accurate knowledge of truth" as opposed to that which is "falsely called knowledge", in Latin bible translations "scientia").

“Anyone Regarding Reproof Is Shrewd”
edit on 15-9-2016 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join