It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gulf states plan military response as Putin raises the stakes in Syria

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   
So, it seems now that the Ruskies have come to play, all the meddlers in Syria's affairs are getting upset that Assad and an organised government might have a chance of surviving instead of leaving a broken country with a crushing power vacuum for the vultures to prey upon.

Boohoo Qatar, Turkey Saudi Arabia et al. Maybe you should stick to running your own countries

Russia’s bombing of rebel positions has angered countries in the region that have been trying to oust Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad. Analysts say Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Turkey are now likely to increase military aid to the anti-Assad groups they support

“The Russian intervention is a massive setback for those states backing the opposition, particularly within the region – Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Turkey – and is likely to elicit a strong response in terms of a counter-escalation,” said Julien Barnes-Dacey, senior policy fellow at the European Council on Foreign Relations.

www.theguardian.com...

This is why the middle east is a powder keg and a farce.
edit on 4-10-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

You might has well said that America's allies are upset that Russian allies look poised to win the war and stay in power.

This whole US verse Russia is BS.

Does anyone understand what the term SOVEREIGNTY means? I thought the Geneva Convention settled this after WW2. Maybe it's time to honor international law and stop messing around in the affairs of other SOVEREIGN nations.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

You might has well said that America's allies are upset that Russian allies look poised to win the war and stay in power.

This whole US verse Russia is BS.

Does anyone understand what the term SOVEREIGNTY means? I thought the Geneva Convention settled this after WW2. Maybe it's time to honor international law and stop messing around in the affairs of other SOVEREIGN nations.

Yep, I am right with you there. Nations have right to self determination from within.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Isis , AlQuaida, the "Anti Assad" groups... these 'terrorist Muslim' groups,
are trained in countries like Saudi, Quatar, and Turkey!
Furthermore these countries are the US allies by which the terrorists obtain their funding and weaponry!

Essentially, they are the buffers by which dark powers of the West can influence and operate these false groups, in order to continue chaos in the ME.

If we see countries such as this acting in defiance of Russia, and continue to support these groups- ALL WHICH ARE MERCENARIES PAID WITH HUGE WESTERN $-
we are essentially seeing the West channeling resources to fight Russia.

The guys propping up ISIS are of the US Cold Warriors, the MIC, the CIA.
BY now channeling resources vs Russia via these shady US ally states, they would be enabled to continue their operation of arming and destroying the Middle East. $$$
So what this article describes, tells me it the demented Western shadow power propping up their program through puppet ally states such as Quatar, Saudi, and Turkey.

One need look no further than to see this position is being propagated by the Council on Foreign Relations, neocon stronghold.

+7 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Alternative Thread title:

The western backed supporters of Wahabbism,Jihadis and Terrorists are pissed off because Putin is blatantly backing Assad who is fighting all these jihadi bastards.
Obama is whinging to Putin to stop making things worse,when his forces yesterday blew the living sheeeit out of a freaking HOSPITAL in Afghanistan for Pete's sake.

Yep,the world is FUBAR IMO,and I ain't ROLFOMAO any more.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

This could actually work out if the USA sat down with Russia and agreed to push ISIS back from the Iraqi side while Russia does the same in Syria then ISIS would be surrounded and easily crushed.

Syria is in need of reform. Even Assad says that, his vision is naturally that he leads it. The thing is nothing can be achieved while the country is at war.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
What if Obama has been setting the stage for a "victory" by Syria/Russia?

He always seems to "like" Iran, and Iran backs Syria.

Strange set of circumstances.

Not easy to believe any "official" reports.

+8 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Our government is pissed off because Russia is going to destroy ISIS that we created.

Good for Russia it's about dam time the United States is shoved aside and showing they are not going to continue to un-stabilizes the rest of the world with their created terrorist operations.

The world is waking up and has had enough.

I am an American and I am disgusted.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

This could actually work out if the USA sat down with Russia and agreed to push ISIS back from the Iraqi side while Russia does the same in Syria then ISIS would be surrounded and easily crushed.

Syria is in need of reform. Even Assad says that, his vision is naturally that he leads it. The thing is nothing can be achieved while the country is at war.

I doubt it will play out like that,but lets hope it goes that way.
the alternative is not good at all.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
What if Obama has been setting the stage for a "victory" by Syria/Russia?

He always seems to "like" Iran, and Iran backs Syria.

Strange set of circumstances.

Not easy to believe any "official" reports.

Now that is cynical. But that thought has popped into my mind as well. Too much ATS.

edit on 4-10-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   

I expect to see dirty movements from Turkey, Saudi Arabia and the rest of the gulf states.
Maybe provide their proxy armies with equipment so they have a chance shoot down Russian fighter jets.
Direct interference means they openly go to war against Russia and despite the petro dollar, i don't think the US will honor their part of the deal this time.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: earthling42

Well, this is Russia's big chance to prove it is capable of being a world class nation and help pacify Syria then lead it back to peace and stability.

I watch what Putin is doing with great interest because his involvement in this will show the world his true colours. And I dare to hope that he is going to show us Russia can do good. Only time will tell.
edit on 4-10-2015 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
First of Russia can not save Assad, the best they can hope for is prolonging the war. Dropping dumb bombs on people with only few airstrikes a day is not going to change anything in the military balance. In particular since ISIS is not a priority for Russia. And Assad has a ceasefire with AlQuida and AlNursa. So Russia's focus is on moderate rebels, in particular the people that the live with. The only thing that unites the dozens of factions in Syria is that Assad must go.

Russia actions will lead to the following. Advanced weapons showing up among the rebels including anti aircraft systems. The types of weapons flowing into Syria has been limited to small arms under pressure from the US and the West who say the rebels do not need more advanced systems. Now that limit will be ignored.

The worst case is the rebels groups stop fighting each other and focus on Assad. As unlikely as a ceasefire between the FSA and ISIS seems, ISIS has had a ceasefire with Assad when the FSA was seen as the biggest threat.

The best case for Russia is the West forcing the moderate Syrian rebels to a peace deal that removes Assad but creates a coalition government where Assads juniors who are pro Russian gets seats in the power sharing. That is what Russia has as a goal. However, the West has almost no control over the rebels. If Russia had come in and focused on ISIS instead of drooping dumb bombs in civilian areas that plan might have worked. Now however, Russia has riled up the entire Arab world. And the worst thing for Russia is they are not afraid of Russia. On top of that the Israelis also are not happy with this and the dumping of advanced weapons to Assad who when his forces run will likely end up being used against Israel down the line. So Israel as well will doing whatever they see fit to undermine the Russians.

It is not a good day when you have the West, the Arabs and the Israelis all looking at ways to make sure you come out losing.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Isurrender73

This is good food for thought,armscontrollaw.com...

In case anyone thinks that what we are doing in Syria or Ukraine is legal,its not. We need to come home and mind our own business.

This whole thing with the middle east I really think is about what Israel wants and Saudi Arabia. Israel has caused enough harm there and now you have the Saudi's with their Wahabbism nonsense trying to overthrow any country that doesn't tow the same line. We need to stop being the Saudi's bitches and get out of there. Let their people over throw the royals like they have wanted to for years.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrSpad

Russia actions will lead to the following. Advanced weapons showing up among the rebels including anti aircraft systems. The types of weapons flowing into Syria has been limited to small arms under pressure from the US and the West who say the rebels do not need more advanced systems. Now that limit will be ignored.

This will only happen if America gets stupid. It very well might, but I hope for the best and that it is sincere in its intentions of stopping the Islamic state. A concession will have to be made over Assad, but supporting the Syrian Army is the only way to push the various opposition groups out in order to restore peace. The US and other nation's ideas of funding this rebel group and that has only fueled a very messy war where there is no guarantee beyond Assad eventuall falling and protracted bloody civil war as the opposition groups fight it out in the ensuing power vacuum for dominance.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad
As long as any of these groups hold and occupy Syrian ground
it's reasonable to expect they will be open to attack.

edit on 4-10-2015 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   

We have yet to see if that is really their intention, it should not have come as a surprise that Russia is bombing areas held by rebels.
Russia is quite clear in its approach which is as expected to attack all the forces that are fighting against Assad.
First the west of Syria, than move on to the east with probably more troops and equipment.
But the big question is what the gulf states and Turkey will do, (shia vs sunni influence in the region).
What is the real position of the US in this, surely they would not be fooled in such a move by Russia like we have seen in the past four days.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42

We have yet to see if that is really their intention, it should not have come as a surprise that Russia is bombing areas held by rebels.
Russia is quite clear in its approach which is as expected to attack all the forces that are fighting against Assad.
First the west of Syria, than move on to the east with probably more troops and equipment.
But the big question is what the gulf states and Turkey will do, (shia vs sunni influence in the region).
What is the real position of the US in this, surely they would not be fooled in such a move by Russia like we have seen in the past four days.

I am not so sure about that. You might be right, but maybe I am an optimist. I can't see Putin being that interested in the middle east beyond supporting Assad because he was in danger of losing his military base in Latakia.

Assad asked Russia to step in.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I found this rather interesting and well written take on the whole affair:
fff.org...

Is it any wonder that President Obama and his cohorts are stymied and dumbfounded by Russia’s maneuver? What are they supposed to say — that Russia doesn’t have the authority to fight terrorism? That the U.S. government is the world’s sole international policeman that wields the power to ferret out and kill “terrorists”?

Obama and his interventionist acolytes within the mainstream press are complaining that Russia isn’t bombing ISIS and other targets within Syria that the Pentagon is bombing. Instead, they lament, Russia is bombing targets that are seeking the ouster of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad — targets that consist of rebels who the CIA has trained and supported, with the aim of ousting Assad from power.

To me the whole regime change policies have not made the world better or safer for anyone as of late; not to mention there used to be laws against that sort of thing... Now people just seem to think ho hum pass the bread..

Read the full article and see if you don't agree.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

www.israelnationalnews.com...

Assad says he will step down if he thought that would make the situation better. Im not saying I believe him, but it does make him look better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join