It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sea Ducks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 02:54 AM
link   
There are loads of ducks around my suburb, but I started to wonder, why are there no ducks or swans in the sea?

Yeah I know there are gulls and penguins and stuff, but why no ducks?

Do ducks know not to land on salt water? What about back water? Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing ducks on North Scottish lochs.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick

Ok, so basically this boils down to," where the # are the ducks". I don't know man, but it's surely a conspiracy.
edit on 4-10-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Ok, so basically this boils down to," where the # are the ducks". I don't know man, but it's surely a conspiracy.

Well there is one in your avatar. It's not a conspiracy, there are none, do you know why?

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Apparently some ducks do go in the ocean.
Here is an interesting looking site on the matter
www.ducks.org...

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Ducks do visit salt water . The family would often go fishing with me in a tidal creek neer home . My cocker Spaniel at times would set and point up the creek and every time a duck would swim out from the mangroves , sometimes over 100 meters away .

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Did you just call me a duck oh no you didn't!
Quack quack

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:24 AM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Well I never, lived in seaside towns all my life and never seen one on anything resembling salt water. Is this a U.S. thing?

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Forensick I haven't made my way down to the beach in a long time and don't recall ever seeing one. I think they are mostly on the northern coastlines of US. I have always liked ducks but have only seen them near ponds or rivers.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 04:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: peppycat
a reply to: Forensick I haven't made my way down to the beach in a long time and don't recall ever seeing one. I think they are mostly on the northern coastlines of US. I have always liked ducks but have only seen them near ponds or rivers.

They're in my front yard all the time because of the neighborhood ponds. Geese roam the street too.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Yeah but never in the sea? I like a Mallard but never seen one in the sea or estuary. I assume the sea salt affects fresh water ducks waterproof.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality

Did you just call me a duck oh no you didn't!
Quack quack

Similar but you chose the wrong vowel.

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Forensick
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Yeah but never in the sea? I like a Mallard but never seen one in the sea or estuary. I assume the sea salt affects fresh water ducks waterproof.

Sea Ducks

Order Anseriformes Family Anatidae

The seaducks, Merginae, form a subfamily of the duck, goose and swan family of birds, Anatidae. Most are essentially marine outside the breeding season. Many species have developed specialized salt glands to allow them to tolerate salt water. Some of the mergansers prefer riverine habitats. All but two of the approximately 20 species in this group occupy habitats in far northern latitudes. The fish-eating members of this group, such as the mergansers and Smew, have serrated edges to their bills to help them grip their prey. Other seaducks take molluscs or crustaceans from the sea floor.

carolinabirds.org...
edit on 4-10-2015 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

They're all being held hostage by this dog?

posted on Oct, 4 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Eider ducks are coastal birds. They live in and around the coastal areas of Maine, Alaska and Hudson Bay Canada.

I think that would qualify as ducks at sea?

top topics

join